by Golem
05/20/17 04:28 PM
How is Trump President?!
by Ken Condon
05/20/17 05:41 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by pondering_it_all
05/19/17 06:26 PM
Is this the most violent movie year in history?
by rporter314
05/19/17 05:30 PM
Ridley Scott Will Curate a Night of New Science Fiction Programming for TNT
by Golem
05/19/17 03:23 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
05/18/17 06:13 PM
Trump Forum
by rporter314
05/17/17 09:30 PM
Black students at Harvard to hold their own commencement
by jgw
05/15/17 09:00 PM
Forum Stats
6220 Members
57 Forums
15910 Topics
274706 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#300630 - 04/12/17 12:33 PM Re: The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video [Re: pdx rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

United has earned its name: the world is now united... Against them.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#300638 - 04/12/17 04:45 PM Re: The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video [Re: NW Ponderer]
Happy Birthday pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
United has earned its name: the world is now united... Against them.

Indeed! smile

United lost 3,4% of its stock value which was $250m dollars. gobsmacked

#300642 - 04/12/17 06:29 PM Re: The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video [Re: NW Ponderer]
Carpal Tunnel

United Airlines: Now beating rows 11-20
United Airlines: Up up and you can't escape
United Airlines: Even our fists our flying
United Airlines: United in our contempt for our passengers.
United Airlines: Ready to fight when you are
United Airlines: On time flights, on time fights
United Airlines: When flying is a drag, leave the dragging to us
United Airlines: Our prices are unbeatable; we can't say the same about our passengers

#300677 - 04/13/17 07:59 PM Re: The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
One thing that really amazed me. The doctor, and his wife (also a doctor) were in FIRST CLASS! When an airline starts attacking its first class customers I suspect they are making a terrible error and that will certainly add to what they have done big time. As far as I know first class passengers pay 2 or more times the going rate for cattle class and slightly less for business class. In other words first class is a cash cow for them and those who fly that way tend to have loyalties to specific airlines. Now they have put that entire class at risk as ANY airline would be delighted to have them. I will be amazed if their CEO is able to keep his job.

I also find it interesting that the Chicago police just had to run their mouth about this one even though, in theory, they had nothing to do with any of it. However, now that they seem to have made it their business, they are also going to get their collective asses sued off as well.

#300752 - 04/18/17 08:59 PM Re: The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video [Re: NW Ponderer]
Golem Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
I'm not a fan of "Big Business" and I'm definitely not a fan of the US airline industry.

Now, I think this guy saw an opportunity to make some money. He did his screaming fit and faked his injuries. However, United will settle and as part of the settlement, the records will be sealed, so this will never come out.

United Blew It, but End the Passenger’s Pity Party: It was a premeditated temper tantrum gone viral.

Michael Fumento
The American Conservative
April 14, 2017

Quote:
You’ve been snookered, folks. By that poor elderly doctor who was involuntarily dragged from his seat, had his face smashed in, and was beaten unconscious by the evil airport security at the behest of United Airlines.

Because there’s no evidence any of that was true. It was in fact a premeditated temper tantrum gone viral, featuring one 69-year-old Vietnamese-American David Dao, a medical doctor who’d lost his license, planning a lawsuit from the moment United first politely asked him to give up his seat. He demanded to be dragged and, when police obliged, struck his lip on an armrest. From the many videos taken by numerous passengers, from numerous angles, there’s no evidence of a beating, a “serious” concussion, or bodily damage beyond that lip.

Although some like the Huffington Post want us to ignore his sordid past as inconsequential or “blaming the victim,” it’s important that Dao in 1995 was charged with 98 felony drug counts for illegally prescribing and trafficking painkillers, sometimes in exchange for homosexual sex. (He’s married. To a woman.) That normally would get you identified as unreliable. He surrendered his medical license and even now is allowed to practice internal medicine only in an outpatient facility one day a week.

More, with reader comments

#300753 - 04/18/17 10:08 PM Re: The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
United probably won't be having any crowding issues for a very long time.
In the end, that is all that really matters, aside from the minor detail of normalizing this kind of stunt so that when it's a totally innocent person getting the snot beat out of them, social media won't care.
After all, seen one Evil Doctor Dao, seen em all, right?

#300776 - 04/19/17 03:46 PM Re: The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
United probably won't be having any crowding issues for a very long time.

I think you're wrong(unfortunately).
United will lose a few customers in the short term but corporations are resilient. Travelers will choose the cheapest/most convenient seats available. This will all blow over in a matter of weeks and overbooking will continue as usual.

#300856 - 04/22/17 08:10 PM Re: The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Remember, airline bureaucracy colluded with congressional bureaucracy to write the passenger rights thing http://travelsort.com/blog/airline-passenger-bill-of-rights-what-are-flyers-rights The rights are, basically, not only what passengers are entitled to but also the simple fact that airlines have the power to do, basically, what they want to do with the passengers and, sometimes, they have to pay a little bit to really screw folks over. People tend to forget the bureaucrats are not only those nameless who toil to keep things going with, normally, paper, but also can be ceo's and a whole host of 'managers'.

There are books written on bureaucracies and how they operate. There are also books which claim that it was bureaucracies that brought down the Roman Empire and also the Chinese Empire (the Chinese actually built a religion around their bureaucrats). The basic rule is that bureaucrats will, at any opportunity, hire more minions/bureaucrats to secure the permanence of their own jobs. This is a known fact. They also tend to forget whatever their mission is supposed to be in favor of that securing the permanence of their job.

I would suggest you google "rules of bureaucracies". You will find stuff like:
https://mises.org/library/seven-rules-bureaucracy
http://www.friesian.com/bureau.htm

#300857 - 04/22/17 09:10 PM Re: The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video [Re: Golem]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Now, I think this guy saw an opportunity to make some money. He did his screaming fit and faked his injuries.

I agree with you Golem even if that might be an unpopular position here. This guy saw an opportunity and acted the roll of victim to the hilt looking for a big payout. United was stupid to walk right into his little acting job and they will pay dearly for it.

Worse than fleeing Viet Nam on a refugee boat. Give me a break. And “everything” hurts. Uh huh....Even the itty bitty tips of the hairs on his head..

I think United has learned their lesson. Now what’s this about a woman and baby stroller on a different airline?........

#300858 - 04/22/17 09:38 PM Re: The Deeper Scandal of That Brutal United Video [Re: Golem]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Golem
... I think this guy saw an opportunity to make some money...

Allowing two thugs to drag you down a plane aisle while your head banged on every arm rest along the way, losing a tooth or two, getting a concusion, is certainly sure signs of an opportunist. coffee

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
agentfity, ojixadybi, tjgraylaw, AndyEmisa, lubluodPix
6220 Registered Users
A2