Current Topics
Dodger Fan (short story)
by Jeffery J. Haas
31 minutes 12 seconds ago
Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels
by Irked
Today at 02:56 AM
A Time magazine with Trump on the cover hangs in his golf clubs. It’s fake.
by pdx rick
Today at 02:43 AM
why democrats are losing
by pondering_it_all
Today at 12:27 AM
Healthcare from the right
by jgw
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
The Supreme Court's Continuing Trend to Establish Religion
by Irked
Yesterday at 01:01 AM
Worst Case Scenario
by rporter314
06/27/17 06:13 PM
Trump and Russia
by pdx rick
06/27/17 05:16 PM
Deceptive marketing, or frivolous lawsuit?
by logtroll
06/27/17 12:53 PM
RoundTable for June 2017
by NW Ponderer
06/27/17 12:16 PM
Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya and Danielle Goyette headline Hockey Hall of Fame's c
by Golem
06/26/17 08:02 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
06/25/17 08:35 PM
Missouri SB 5 punishes women who use birth control
by pdx rick
06/25/17 08:14 PM
Trump Forum
by pondering_it_all
06/24/17 04:57 AM
Star Trek: Discovery to ditch a long frustrating Trek rule
by Golem
06/23/17 06:45 PM
Forum Stats
6234 Members
57 Forums
15953 Topics
275335 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#300242 - 03/31/17 11:42 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
Always a silver lining

She took her job very seriously. If you skip a rabies test and somebody develops any symptoms they almost always die.

#300265 - 04/01/17 02:03 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: pondering_it_all]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Maybe a decent burial in the backyard? If you could dig a hole deep enough.

Did I ever tell you about my wife's nadir as a County Veterinary Pathologist? She forgot to run a rabies titre on a dog they brought in, and I guess it bit somebody. She had to go out to the dead animal disposal company to look for the carcass. It was somewhere in a semi trailer filled with barrels of dead animals. It was about 95 degrees out, and even hotter in the trailer. She finally found it in a barrel topped with dead skunks!

The dog was negative for rabies.

It is regarded as a poor idea, by some, to start a gross out discussion among a mixed gathering with non-pathologists at dinner. Some Pathology residents become vegetarians for a while, after the Krogers meat counter remides you of work. Soon one starts viewing irregularities in their steak as lesions for diagnosis, trauma, tumor, infection etc. Weight loss is common, and blackened pork becomes de ri·gueur.

There used to be a vet clinic adjacent to the "authentic Thai restaurant". That brought humorous discussions. None of that butchered meat, all meat here died a natural death, tumor, infection, renal failure. Its only natural your cat dies, when it lives near a Thai restaurant, etc. Restaurant found new location.

Other sources of exotic foods, have not been ignored by sius vide chefs!

Tat

Scrumulous!
Matt's Food Blog
Badger Bourguignon

legs and arms of one badger: boned and cut into bite sized chunks, see above

one badger loin
200g streaky bacon, cut into lardons
some neutral oil (e.g.: rapeseed)
2 carrots, chopped into rounds
1 large onion, sliced
bottle robust red wine
500ml beef stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, crushed
50g unsalted butter
teaspoon fresh thyme
1 bay leaf, sliced
250g fresh mushrooms
2 carrots cut into batons
50 grams butter, cubed

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 160°C

2) Saute bacon to render fat in pan, set bacon aside.

3) Add some oil and heat to nearly smoking and, in batches, fry the meat from the badger arms and legs until browned, set aside.

4) Fry the carrot rounds and onions in the oil until browned, add the garlic for the last few minutes.

5) Add the vegetables and reserved bacon to a casserole dish and add the tomato paste and herbs.

6) Cover this layer with a double layer of muslin then place the reserved badger meat in an even layer on top of the muslin.

7) Pour in the red wine and stock in equal amounts to cover the meat, season with salt.

8) Add the casserole, covered in foil to the oven and cook for 4-5 hours.

9) Whilst the braise is cooking, add the loins with the butter to a sous vide bag. Seal, and cook at 65°C for around 75 minutes depending on thickness of the loins – to achieve pasteurisation. Reserve.

10) When the meat is ready, cook the mushrooms and carrots.

11) Reserve the meat in a warm dish using a slotted spoon to remove it from the casserole dish, avoiding disturbing the muslin layer (and so avoiding the layer of aromatics from touching the meat).

12) Pour the braising liquid into a pan through a chinois lined with a double layer of muslin, discarding all the vegetables and herbs.

13) Reduce sauce by 25-50%, skimming off any scum that appears on the surface.

14) Thicken the liquid if necessary using method of choice, and season with salt, pepper and red wine vinegar if necessary, whisk in cubed butter.

15) Toss with the meat and warm through, adding the just cooked vegetables and the end, top with the (warmed if necessary) loins.

16) Serve to courageous, badger loving comrades, with a gorgeous rioja and some derring do.

#300277 - 04/01/17 05:57 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Speaking of badgers, did you see that youtube video of the badger burying an entire dead calf? Researchers laid it out to study vultures but Mister Badger came along and took the whole thing for himself!

Worth viewing.

#300283 - 04/01/17 08:09 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: pondering_it_all]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Speaking of badgers, did you see that youtube video of the badger burying an entire dead calf? Researchers laid it out to study vultures but Mister Badger came along and took the whole thing for himself!

Worth viewing.

I did, indeed, and was impressed by his work ethic.

We have many good badger associations as they are the UW Mascot, and can still sing Badger songs, and know the fingering for On Wisconsin.

I am unsure about the sous vide times and temps for a carnivore. There was an epidemic of Trichinosis out west where, if I recall, 11 people were infected. The culprit was traced to the low temperature of the smoker used to make the cougar jerky. In my unbiased opinion, the barbarians got exactly what they deserved, a memorable dining experience!

Tat

#300305 - 04/02/17 06:50 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Pork tape worm can be a lot worse. The larvae can grow in your brain. Maybe low temperature cooking of pork is not such a good idea.

#300349 - 04/03/17 04:22 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
So what kind of temperatures can they survive? And for how long?
A medium rare pork chop goes for an hour at 140 in the sous vide. The pork chop probably reaches ambient temperature within 20 minutes or less. Which gives us another 40 minutes at 140F.
I haven't been able to find any mention of these worms as a danger in sous vide cooking but this is an intersting article for you guys who are somewhat more scientifically savvy than an old carpenter and occasional line cook.

#300350 - 04/03/17 04:41 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

So you've sent me galavanting all over the internets trying to figure out if tapeworms are an issue when cooking pork.

1)Most commercial pork is frozen before marketing to kill any worm parasites.

2)Tapeworm eggs and larvae are killed at 125 degrees.

3)The FDA 2009 Food Code makes no special recommendations at all for cooking pork. Instead it suggests using the FDA's time-and-temperature table for whole-meat roasts for all meats.

4)Don't sweat the low cook temps, sous vide is safe.

#300352 - 04/03/17 05:51 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Quote:
Most commercial pork is frozen before marketing to kill any worm parasites.

Nice to know and it's something you can do yourself if you suspect some pork is questionable.

But still, apparently not all pork is frozen and people handle raw pork before they cook it. I will be as careful with it as I am with raw poultry from now on.

#300594 - 04/11/17 03:03 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Since next week is a traditional Christian holiday, the grocery stores have "Easter specials". Among them at my grocer was boneless leg of lamb and beef rib roasts. I picked up one of each at a very good price and popped them in the freezer for future use. Beside them in the cooler were beef hearts for $1.99 a pound.
Yes...I bought a pound of beef heart and yes it's burbling away in the sous vide. I have no idea what it will be like, much like when I cooked the tongue, but with only two bucks invested in it if I don't like it the dog surely will.

#300598 - 04/11/17 03:54 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

I always buy lots of corned beef before St. Patrick's Day myself. $2 a pound with coupon. Not much for corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage, but I love hot corned beef and Reuben sandwiches. Homemade hash with eggs is great too, for breakfast.

Page 9 of 13 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Seadog, sapogvvsrost, papedPop, Dujmovochka123, zapedPop
6234 Registered Users
A2