Current Topics
Saudi Arabia - yet again
by Ujest Shurly
7 minutes 26 seconds ago
South African hunter WAS killed by a crocodile, DNA tests on human remains found
by logtroll
Today at 12:16 AM
Trump Forum
by logtroll
Today at 12:13 AM
fix the telemarketing thing
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 08:44 PM
15 Worst Star Trek Episodes Of All Time
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 06:05 PM
Trump and Russia
by rporter314
Yesterday at 03:13 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
05/22/17 04:28 PM
Trump's Great Speech
by pondering_it_all
05/22/17 12:33 AM
American Nations
by Greger
05/21/17 08:14 PM
Next Trump Clusterfork: Tax Reform
by Greger
05/21/17 03:55 AM
just stuff - maps
by jgw
05/20/17 06:22 PM
Seth MacFarlane Is Headed to Space with 'The Orville' on Fox
by Golem
05/20/17 04:28 PM
How is Trump President?!
by Ken Condon
05/20/17 05:41 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by pondering_it_all
05/19/17 06:26 PM
Is this the most violent movie year in history?
by rporter314
05/19/17 05:30 PM
Forum Stats
6220 Members
57 Forums
15911 Topics
274743 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10
Topic Options
#300608 - 04/11/17 05:50 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Sous vide makes perfect corned beef. I bought three when they were on sale and experimented with two. Turns out 154F for 24 hours is absolutely magical. The third one is languishing in the freezer waiting for its time to shine.
I just found another corned beef recipe I'd like to try, Chef John's Easy Pastrami which certainly looks worth giving a try.

The beef heart is excellent. 24 hours at 79C. I'm going to make gravy with the juices, cube the heart and serve it over rice.

#300621 - 04/12/17 04:21 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
We are traveling through a gorgeous NC spring, and I am hunting for sliced pork bbq with clear vinegar sauce, (no tomatoes) with sides of hushpuppies, cornbread, and mixed greens. Looking for a seedy looking authentic place with linoleum floors, and a pink pig sign. This may be difficult to find in Durham, as gentrification is getting very advanced.
Delis wtih corned beef are everywhere!
Tat

#300625 - 04/12/17 08:32 AM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: TatumAH]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
sliced pork bbq with clear vinegar sauce

Boy, that may be hard to find. Eastern North Carolina IS known for the tomato-free sauce but it's whole-hawg barbeque. I think you're going to have to settle for chopped-style.

You'll know the place is authentic if they have 1 foot by 1 foot linoleum tiles. You know, the old kind with asbestos.

#300636 - 04/12/17 03:34 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Hush puppies at a barbecue place? Is that a Nawth C'lina thing?
A proper hush puppy is fried in the oil after the fish is fried and are nearly impossible to get at a restaurant. Those lifeless balls of fried cornmeal, which probably come frozen in large bags, are simply not hush puppies.

While you're in the South, Tat, pop into a grocery store and pick up a bag of Dixie Lilly brand hush puppy mix. It won't be quite as good as my mama's home made hush puppies, fried in the oil she fried fish in, but it will be closer than anything you can get at any restaurant. Mix it a little bit wetter than the instructions say and fry it up in a cast iron skillet. Hush puppies don't work right if you deep fry them and they don't like being fried in new oil. They need to flatten out in the skillet for maximum crispiness and they need to go a little beyond "golden brown" to a deeper, rich brown. They should be noticeably browner than the fried fish and crunchy when you bite into them.

#300649 - 04/12/17 07:57 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: pondering_it_all]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Quote:
sliced pork bbq with clear vinegar sauce

Boy, that may be hard to find. Eastern North Carolina IS known for the tomato-free sauce but it's whole-hawg barbeque. I think you're going to have to settle for chopped-style.

You'll know the place is authentic if they have 1 foot by 1 foot linoleum tiles. You know, the old kind with asbestos.

Found the right place (complete with pink pig), and sauce, but nothing sliced except turkey(yes turkey WTF) and brisket. Had to settle for having my pork pulled, but having Pabst with it added to the authenticity. The collards with authentic fatback also contributed to the ambience. See below for hushpuppy review.

Tat

#300651 - 04/12/17 08:08 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: TatumAH]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Sounds great. But pulled pork and not chopped? Never been but on the web it looks like it is chopped with a big knife instead of pulled with forks.

You know, I've actually got one of those fiberglass pigs, It's left over from a USDA SBIR grant a partner and I did to study pig fat content while the pig was still alive. Body volume determination by video cameras. We actually built a working prototype but they just expected a paper study.

#300652 - 04/12/17 08:21 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
TatumAH Offline

Originally Posted By: Greger
Hush puppies at a barbecue place? Is that a Nawth C'lina thing?]

I guess so, as my southern bbq experience started in 1971 when Durham was a sad, tired, tobacco town. Wouldnt have recognized it now. Vogue rated Durham as hippest city in Nawth Carolina

The "hushpuppies" were worse than Greger predicted, corn poon, sans the tang. Looked like elongated shapes squeezed out of a small dog into hot oil. With little tapered ends. Yecch! Not browned enuff and definitively not crunchy at all. Hard to tell them from the fries! But they did soak up some of the sauce to make tasty mush!
Quote:

A proper hush puppy is fried in the oil after the fish is fried and are nearly impossible to get at a restaurant. Those lifeless balls of fried cornmeal, which probably come frozen in large bags, are simply not hush puppies.

While you're in the South, Tat, pop into a grocery store and pick up a bag of Dixie Lilly brand hush puppy mix.

Will do on the Dixie Lilly, if I can find a non-health food, a screw your health, or at least a health-optional store. I will clearly have to go to the dwindling poor areas where hip has not yet struck, but there I have difficulty with the foreign language.

Tat in Durm

#300695 - 04/14/17 11:52 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

It's okay to chop pulled pork. In a restaurant environment it's just a lot more efficient. It makes sandwich making and portion control easier. It makes it so the crunchy outer bits, lumps of fat, and soft internal meat can be well mixed into a more or less homogeneous blend and a better overall effect. A sandwich made this week, next week, or next year will always be pretty much the same. That's more important for a restaurant than for home cooks.

#300925 - 04/26/17 04:40 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: Greger]
TatumAH Offline

This is a long and detailed (as is characteristic of Atlantic articles) discussion and review of books that attempt to teach principles/concepts of cooking. There are also critiques of several interesting tomes that try various approaches. It is not strictly in the topic of "sous vide", but it is dismissively mentioned.
Food for thought, or thought for food?

Tat
Quote:
food history, seemed too elementary.
Nosrat’s wisdom is apparent in the way she instructs, which lets her cover food science without ever getting lost in the finer points of chemistry.

To be sure, the scientific route is likely one that will resonate with ambitious home cooks who gravitate toward precision. But I left each of these guides with a nagging sense that there is a simpler way—one more grounded in common sense and intuition—that might inspire people who do not already fancy themselves dedicated cooks and/or scientists. A more welcoming, more widely appealing, and thus more effective method might be one that teaches cooks to start with their thoughts and senses rather than a temperature setting on a sous-vide device. If a lesson or two about science is gained incidentally in the process, fine, but let’s leave the history of water-buffalo domestication out of it for now.

the-why-of-cooking
Quote:

The Why of Cooking

What’s the most efficient path to kitchen wisdom?
An illustration from Samin Nosrat's Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat Wendy MacNaughton

It’s a shame that the standard way of learning how to cook is by following recipes. To be sure, they are a wonderfully effective way to approximate a dish as it appeared in a test kitchen, at a star chef’s restaurant, or on TV. And they can be an excellent inspiration for even the least ambitious home cooks to liven up a weeknight dinner. But recipes, for all their precision and completeness, are poor teachers. They tell you what to do, but they rarely tell you why to do it.

This means that for most novice cooks, kitchen wisdom—a unified understanding of how cooking works, as distinct from the notes grandma lovingly scrawled on index-card recipes passed down through the generations—comes piecemeal. Take, for instance, the basic skill of thickening a sauce. Maybe one recipe for marinara advises reserving some of the starchy pasta water, for adding later in case the sauce is looking a little thin. Another might recommend rescuing a too-watery sauce with some flour, and still another might suggest a handful of parmesan. Any one of these recipes offers a fix under specific conditions, but after cooking through enough of them, those isolated recommendations can congeal into a realization: There are many clever ways to thicken a sauce, and picking an appropriate one depends on whether there’s some leeway for the flavor to change and how much time there is until dinner needs to be on the table.

The downside of learning to cook primarily through recipes, then, is that these small eurekas—which, once hit upon, are instantly applicable to nearly any other dish one prepares—are most often arrived at via triangulation. It’s like trying to learn a language only by copying down others’ sentences, instead of learning the grammar and vocabulary needed to put to paper lines of one’s own.
Related Stories

Short of enrolling in a cooking school, is there not a more direct, less haphazard way to arrive at a fuller idea of the theory behind good cooking? One gets the sense that chefs and cookbook authors are in possession of some magnificent guidebook full of culinary insights, consulting it to construct their dishes and revealing its secrets to everyday cooks only in fragments. No book could live up to that hyperbolic image, but I was still surprised, after roughly a year of searching, to find that there are very few books that concisely articulate the concepts that underlie good cooking, in a way that neither patronizes nor overwhelms. One might call what I was looking for “a metacookbook”—a book not about a certain cuisine or style of cooking, but about cooking itself—and I found good ones to be surprisingly rare.

#300965 - 04/27/17 06:22 PM Re: Sous vide cooking... [Re: TatumAH]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

The art of cooking, like any vocation or avocation, simply cannot be encompassed in a single book. It takes years of practice and a certain amount of dedication. The internet is an excellent teacher though. Recipes and video tutorials abound.

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
agentfity, ojixadybi, tjgraylaw, AndyEmisa, lubluodPix
6220 Registered Users
A2