by Jeffery J. Haas
1 second ago
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Golem
55 minutes 59 seconds ago
Anonymous declares war on the alt-right in new video
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
STLV17: Brannon Braga On How Kirk Should Have Died, ‘Star Trek: Enterprise’ Regr
by Golem
Yesterday at 03:16 PM
Round Table for August 2017
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 02:05 PM
Trump Forum
by rporter314
Yesterday at 02:46 AM
24 Novels That Are Crying Out To Be Turned Into A TV Series
by Golem
08/15/17 04:56 PM
Nazism versus Communism
by Jeffery J. Haas
08/15/17 05:05 AM
The 13 Alfred Hitchcock movies you need to watch in your lifetime
by NW Ponderer
08/15/17 02:31 AM
'Bonnie and Clyde' at 50: Ultraviolent gangster film changed American cinema (ph
by Golem
08/15/17 02:23 AM
If You Are Married to a Trump Supporter, Divorce Them
by pondering_it_all
08/14/17 03:43 AM
shutdown
by Jeffery J. Haas
08/14/17 03:00 AM
Five facts about the newly-leaked U.S. climate change report
by matthew
08/11/17 11:24 PM
Trump and Russia
by rporter314
08/11/17 10:27 PM
Happy Birthday, United States Coast Guard
by jgw
08/10/17 09:14 PM
Forum Stats
6241 Members
57 Forums
16005 Topics
276128 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#301068 - 05/05/17 01:14 AM healthcare a
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I am watching cnn and they are talking about the new healthcare bill. The Republicans cleverly didn't have the bill vetted for what it does (last time they did that the report was so bad it failed to pass).

Anyway, the first thing is that we are, basically, the ONLY nation on earth that does not control the prices the greedy healthcare industry charges. There are even books written on this one! The obscenity of what the drug industry does is just the tip of the iceburg. I watched somebody, who has a new book on the subject, say that what has happened is that the healthcare industry has discovered that they can charge whatever they want and people will pay it. This, of course, means that there is no competition at all. One price goes up EVERYBODY jumps on that bandwagon! The drug industry was probably the test for everybody else and they have, now, all figured it out. OUR congress has actually passed a bill that made it illegal for anybody to get their drugs from Canada (a LOT cheaper), the insurance companies seems to have also joined in this party of greed. It is REALLY time for this nation to join up with the rest of the world and simply admit that health is not a for profit thing so much as a social thing and it needs to be controlled and provided. If the rest of the world can do this I see no reason, except for the obvious, offensive, and greed of our elected class. We no longer live longer than the rest of the industrialized world. Our babies no longer survive more than others in the industrialized world. We are, again basically, number 1 in healthcare in one thing - COST! (we pay more than 2 times more than the rest of the industrialized world for less care).

For those who believe that people who are under single payer they should go to Canada and find one person who would prefer our system. I live in a town that believe that baloney about Canadians flooding down here for care. Our hospital changed its name, rebuilt itself, spent thousands advertising in Victoria, BC (they are close) and garnered nothing but more debt and nary a single Canadian patient. (the board was all Republican when this happened. It did prove, however, that Republicans actually believe their own baloney).

On the upside this new healthcare bill just may be the thing that loses Trump his support. I am basing this on what I see in his crowd of supporters and, I suspect, they are going to start losing their insurance. The Republicans have already done much to make sure that Obamacare fails. Its gonna get interesting. They are also reporting that they changed stuff in medicare. Here is what they think is in the new bill:
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots...ealth-care-bill

I also think that the congress gets to keep their insurance no matter what. On the up side, once this gets to be law, news about health, and the new law, may actually replace what we have now, for news, basically Trump TV. My fond hope is that we can also replace the right in 2018.

#301072 - 05/05/17 03:40 AM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
I don;t this has anything to do with HC for conservatives. It has everything to do with the federal government and money. This is strictly idiot-ological for them. Get government out of the business (or who cares if sick people die), give tax cuts to wealthy and extend the money giveaway with more tax cuts. Is there a word about HC in all of that????

Here is the proposition: if there is a plan which covers more people, cheaper than anything conservatives can make the free market do and if government was involved, they would vote against it .... I guarantee .... because it is not about health care

If any reporter had the temerity to ask the question, conservatives would run from the answer.

Edited by rporter314 (05/05/17 03:41 AM)

#301073 - 05/05/17 08:56 AM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

In their Pledge to America, the Republicans said:

Quote:
We will ensure that bills are debated and discussed in the public square by publishing the text online for at least three days before coming up for a vote in the House of Representatives. No more hiding legislative language from the minority party, opponents, and the public. Legislation should be understood by all interested parties before it is voted on.

#1 Republicans are going to pass Trumpcare WITHOUT posting the bill on line.
#2 Republicans are going to pass Trumpcare WITHOUT a score from the CBO.

WHY are the sanctimonious Republicans doing all this?

The Republicans are too cowardly to tell at least 24 million Americans they will LOSE their healthcare, senior citizens will see their premiums will rise 750%, the limited pre-existing condition coverage ONLY lasts for 5 years. And the poor, will go back to dying because they can't afford healthcare.

It will be interesting to see how many town hall meeting Republicans cancel, or just don't show up for next week when they go home?

#301076 - 05/05/17 05:31 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

If the Australian healthcare system is so great Mr Trump, why didn't you propose something similar?

Folks this is another example of what I said previously. For conservatives it is not about health care.

#301077 - 05/05/17 05:43 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Sec Price said this is but the first step [to complete removal of government from helping anyone].

If these characters hate the federal government so much, why haven't they written a bill to dissolve the federal government?

#301082 - 05/05/17 07:17 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
Kaine Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania
Man, and I was hoping to be able to retire at 65. I was hoping for sooner, but since you have to be 65 to get Medicaid, I wouldn't be able to pay for insurance before then. If this passes, it looks like I will have to work until I die just so we can continue to be able to afford the insurance.

Look for everything under the sun to be moved into the "high-risk pre-existing conditions" pool. I think everything possible will be forced into that pool. Then heaven forbid if you would lose your job and not be able to get insurance again for 3 months. There goes your rate 30%.

Depressing! Oops - I'm sure that is a pre-existing condition!

#301084 - 05/05/17 07:38 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: Kaine]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
No, you can still get Medicare at 65. This bill doesn't change that. I think my Part B is about $120 per month. Part A and Medicare Advantage are free, though you can find Medicare Advantage plans that cost more.

My Medicare Advantage plan includes drug coverage that is equivalent to Part D. The only bad thing about it is there is no maximum out-of-pocket on the drug coverage, so I am paying about $6000 per year for my $65,000 drug. After you spend enough, you get into Catastrophic Care where you spend 5% of drug cost. But the drug companies can charge whatever they want, so 5% of a million dollars is still $50,000!

#301088 - 05/05/17 09:04 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: pondering_it_all]
Kaine Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
No, you can still get Medicare at 65. This bill doesn't change that.

As of right not I can get it at 65, but if this new bill passes will I be able to afford it on a fixed income at that time? I have 8 years until 65.

#301089 - 05/05/17 09:41 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Considering that the House and Senate go Democratic in 2018, and then the Presidency in 2020, I wouldn't worry about Medicare going away too much. Republicans have pretty much signed their political death warrants. Looking forward to billboards like: "Daryl Issa just voted to murder you."

In some Red States as many as 33% of the population has some sort of preexisting condition! Tell me they're not going to be pissed off when their health insurance goes up by 10 times. Republicans think the non-sick will be so happy with their cheaper crappy insurance policies, they can do without the votes of the sick. But the numbers don't work.

It's just in their DNA: Every time they get to hold the gun, they promptly shoot themselves in the foot. About 100 days this time.

#301090 - 05/05/17 10:08 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
Kaine Offline
enthusiast

I like your optimism!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Jeffery J. Haas), 43 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Albertpkr, kechua, burkha, bikrami, inekifoh
6241 Registered Users
A2