by Jeffery J. Haas
1 second ago
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Golem
55 minutes 59 seconds ago
Anonymous declares war on the alt-right in new video
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
STLV17: Brannon Braga On How Kirk Should Have Died, ‘Star Trek: Enterprise’ Regr
by Golem
Yesterday at 03:16 PM
Round Table for August 2017
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 02:05 PM
Trump Forum
by rporter314
Yesterday at 02:46 AM
24 Novels That Are Crying Out To Be Turned Into A TV Series
by Golem
08/15/17 04:56 PM
Nazism versus Communism
by Jeffery J. Haas
08/15/17 05:05 AM
The 13 Alfred Hitchcock movies you need to watch in your lifetime
by NW Ponderer
08/15/17 02:31 AM
'Bonnie and Clyde' at 50: Ultraviolent gangster film changed American cinema (ph
by Golem
08/15/17 02:23 AM
If You Are Married to a Trump Supporter, Divorce Them
by pondering_it_all
08/14/17 03:43 AM
shutdown
by Jeffery J. Haas
08/14/17 03:00 AM
Five facts about the newly-leaked U.S. climate change report
by matthew
08/11/17 11:24 PM
Trump and Russia
by rporter314
08/11/17 10:27 PM
Happy Birthday, United States Coast Guard
by jgw
08/10/17 09:14 PM
Forum Stats
6241 Members
57 Forums
16005 Topics
276128 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#301092 - 05/06/17 12:11 AM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: jgw
The obscenity of what the drug industry does is just the tip of the iceburg.

At least their profits are healthy!

#301093 - 05/06/17 01:23 AM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
Only Liberals are silly enough to believe that the Health Care Industry has anything to do with health care, per se. Like everything else in the Greatest Country the World Has Ever Known, the Health Care Industry exists in order to generate profit for the Job Creators.

Just as Ford could care less if a truck buyer drives their truck or not, as long as they purchase a Ford truck with some regularity, Aetna doesn't care if their policy holders get health care or not, as long as they pay their premiums. In fact the less someone drives their truck or attempts to get health care, the more likely they will be satisfied with their purchase and so more likely to make a similar purchase in the future.

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#301094 - 05/06/17 08:39 AM Re: healthcare a [Re: Kaine]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: Kaine
I like your optimism!

We ALL do! smile

#301097 - 05/06/17 04:26 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My wife had a Caesarean when our first son was born. Because of that, her disability insurance was denied for a "preexisting condition." When she was actually disabled 25 years later for an unrelated reason, she could only get the $50/month from being a State employee.

We can all expect that EVERY condition will be deemed preexisting. Then we should expect DNA testing to become mandatory - to identify markers that might make one susceptible to a condition (like mixed heritage) be deemed "preexisting". It will start with food stamps and TANF, then unemployment, Medicaid, Medicare, social security... We're all "high risk" yanno...

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#301109 - 05/07/17 03:42 AM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Really, there is no illness that is not a preexisting condition. There are accidents like getting hit by lightning, but even for something like a heart attack insurance companies can say being overweight or genetically predisposed to heart problems is a preexisting condition after the fact. This is all underwriting: The practice of denying claims by selecting people to exclude from the pool.

But there is no line! No rule that says X is preexisting and Y is not. Insurance companies can devise what ever rules they like so they never have to pay anything. If you open the door a crack, they will slam it open and our health insurance will be worthless. (Eventually, even Republican Congressmen's health insurance will be worthless!)

This is why preexisting coverage is so vital: It doesn't just protect sick people now. It protects everybody who ever gets sick in the future. And considering that we all eventually get sick and die, that is ALL of us.

#301111 - 05/07/17 06:19 AM Re: healthcare a [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Considering that the House and Senate go Democratic in 2018, and then the Presidency in 2020, I wouldn't worry about Medicare going away too much. Republicans have pretty much signed their political death warrants. Looking forward to billboards like: "Daryl Issa just voted to murder you."

In some Red States as many as 33% of the population has some sort of preexisting condition! Tell me they're not going to be pissed off when their health insurance goes up by 10 times. Republicans think the non-sick will be so happy with their cheaper crappy insurance policies, they can do without the votes of the sick. But the numbers don't work.

It's just in their DNA: Every time they get to hold the gun, they promptly shoot themselves in the foot. About 100 days this time.

We are six states away from a Constitutional convention, and rest assured, the Mercers and Kochs will write that new document, so I wouldn't be so sure about your rosy predictions for 2018 and 2020 just yet. We are also one manufactured national emergency away from all of it just being shut off altogether.

Hyperbole? Maybe, but maybe not.
Let's see what happens when all those 5-4 SCOTUS decisions start rolling in.

#301112 - 05/07/17 01:01 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
the free market is not only sentient but has the best interests of the people it is frakking at heart .... there is nothing to worry about

#301113 - 05/07/17 03:06 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If a Republican gets to name ANOTHER SCOTUS nominee, we are screwed for our lifetimes.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#301136 - 05/08/17 05:57 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
A special thanks, especially to Irked and rporter314 for setting our hearts free from worry. Its good to know the truth.

I should add that there is no healthcare free market. Instead is a market in lockstep with itself and, understand that people will spend anything to get all this great American health care, continue to raise their prices until they find a downturn in customers. Truly inspiring. I guess its a good thing that we have a healthcare system based on for profit capitalism instead of the rest of the industrialized world who understand healthcare is a social need, like police and firemen.

#301137 - 05/08/17 06:05 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: jgw
A special thanks, especially to Irked and rporter314 for setting our hearts free from worry. Its good to know the truth.

I should add that there is no healthcare free market. Instead is a market in lockstep with itself and, understand that people will spend anything to get all this great American health care, continue to raise their prices until they find a downturn in customers. Truly inspiring. I guess its a good thing that we have a healthcare system based on for profit capitalism instead of the rest of the industrialized world who understand healthcare is a social need, like police and firemen.

Profit motive is the crux of the problem for American healthcare: You can't have life and death pitted against the motive profit.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Jeffery J. Haas), 43 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Albertpkr, kechua, burkha, bikrami, inekifoh
6241 Registered Users
A2