277757 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#301149 - 05/09/17 05:24 PM Afghanistan - here we go again
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Apparently they are getting ready to, yet again, put more boots on the ground in Afghanistan. They are going to train the Afghan troops and 'help'. I find it interesting. In 1941 we were attacked by Japan and had to train a new army as well as build its infrastructure - that took almost a year NOT more than 13 years! Don't tell me that the Afghans are not as tough, or willing to fight, as we are. They have been invaded by just about everybody at one time or another and they ALWAYS took care of them. They are 'taking care' of us, right now. (some might say they are, simply, taking)

What part of "Graveyard of Empires" is hard to understand? Even Russia understood and, eventually, pulled out. Now, however, Russia is taking the side we used to be on and supplying the etremist Muslims. We created, and trained, Al Queda. Now we are training the Afghan army which, incidentally, members of said army kills a couple of ours every year. When we did that the end result was Al Queda and a lot of weapons which were, eventually, used against us. We can only hope Russia has the same "success". Its really time to just get the hell out of there! If we need to continue our bloodlust there then we can do it with drones - just get us the hell out of there!

I know, my feelings on the middle east are extreme. I would prefer we get out of the entire area and let these people fight it out amongst themselves at which point, if we wish, we can go after them if we don't agree with the outcome. This 'solution' means that our military-industrial complex would still be able to sell them weapons - just not kill our our own (important, as this would, then, continue to provide jobs <G>). I include Israel in that mix.

The bill for our Afghan adventure is approaching 1 TRILLION Dollars. For that we would have been able to almost bring our entire own infrastructure up to snuff (amongst other things). Enough is enough. I don't want to go all Trumpy but this has cost enough and its time to leave. Even if we won everything there isn't much we would want. China owns all the natural resources (we also train their guards) I don't know, perhaps we are there to further protect China's investment?

Edited by jgw (05/09/17 06:01 PM)

#301158 - 05/09/17 11:40 PM Re: Afghanistan - here we go again [Re: jgw]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
We could easily right off Afghanistan, cause who else wants the hell hole. It is all about their nearby and highly unstable neighbor with nukes. Now get off of my lawn!

Tat

#301166 - 05/10/17 04:30 AM Re: Afghanistan - here we go again [Re: TatumAH]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Con Musica---

Para bailar Tsar Bomba...

What is it about such a horrible invention that can, at the same time, be such a thing of hair raising beauty? Iíve long wondered that.....TAT

#301170 - 05/10/17 05:14 AM Re: Afghanistan - here we go again [Re: TatumAH]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: TatumAH
It is all about their nearby and highly unstable neighbor with nukes.

Actually, it's more about this: Rare Earth: Afghanistan Sits on $1 Trillion in Minerals Hmm

#301171 - 05/10/17 05:29 AM Re: Afghanistan - here we go again [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Rare Earths are really a misnomer: There are the same elements distributed almost uniformly throughout the Earth's crust. There just happen to be a slightly higher percentage in certain places. It costs a little less to extract them from those places. But it certainly isn't worth going to war over.

We could start extracting them right here in the US. So if we are spending a huge amount of blood and treasure to be able to mine something somewhere, it is a huge government subsidy to some company that wants to make a little more money.

#301181 - 05/10/17 11:07 PM Re: Afghanistan - here we go again [Re: pondering_it_all]
TatumAH Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
Curse them pesky lanthanides, that are best conceptualized by a periodic review, modeling modern major general chemistry concepts with a smattering of elemental strategy.
Tat

#301190 - 05/11/17 10:14 PM Re: Afghanistan - here we go again [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Let me say it again. China has bought all the rights to their minerals. If we are there because of those then we are there to protect China's interests. That being the case it means that we are not only there to train their guards?

I am not sure what we can do about Pakistan's nukes. Gave them the stuff for that to offset India years ago. In other words we proliferated nukes with the very best of intentions and now we have to pay for it. Seems a bit unjust to me.

#301195 - 05/12/17 05:55 AM Re: Afghanistan - here we go again [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
But India was cozying up to the Russians, so we went with Pakistan to offset that. Now Pakistan is all about the Taliban.

Sort of the nation version of giving Osama Bin Ladan all the weapons so his guys could fight the Russian occupiers of Afghanistan. Look how well that worked out!

#301196 - 05/12/17 06:16 PM Re: Afghanistan - here we go again [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Pakistan is a nuclear nation that is all about not being able to control their own extremists (let alone those from Afghanistan). I guess its important to note that they were also sheltering Bin Laden so they, obviously, are at odds about terrorists in their own government as he was stashed across the street from their military academy. From some accounts their secret service folks think that they can use their extremists to work their magic on places like India and others. At the same time these coddled crazies are busily blowing up mosques and slaughtering other muslims. Again, we obviously have no clout, and no support in the entire area. Just get us the hell out of the whole mess, including Israel, wish them all good luck, and just wait until they are through slaughtering each other and deal with the winner (if anybody is left alive).

This, of course, will cause a huge increase in refugees which will give us an opportunity to try and deal with that until the sea rise causes a REAL refugee problem. Right now a million have been flooded out of their homes in Bangledesh and the displaced are pushing many into places like Myanmar (Burma). Myanmar is responding by yet more slaughter. Its bad but no where as bad is its going to get, irregardless of the argument as to whether the sea rise, and global warming, is actually happening (or even real).

Our present administration has, according to most of the report, turned of the war stuff to the pentagon. Their response to Afghanistan is to put several thousand more troops on the ground there. Given that they are in charge one can only wonder who we are going to invade now (in addition to the buildup in Afghanistan). Oh, I know, the military says it hates war - I guess we will see about that one.

#303246 - 09/27/17 07:42 PM Re: Afghanistan - here we go again [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

I have been watching the series on the VietNam war. I cannot help but be struck by the number of similarities between the two wars. Both are unwinnable, for instance. Both were going to be won quickly, both are, basically, controlled by the military itself. There are more but I betcha you get the idea.

We REALLY need to get the hell out of Afghanistan! It was called the graveyard of empires for a reason and we are going to be next. Should also mention that we have spent very close to 1 trillion dollars on this one. We could have entirely fixed our infrastructure and hired thousands to do the job, for that amount. Instead we continue to bribe the people we are trying to kill so they will let our supplies travel the roads.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2