Current Topics
Trump Forum
by pdx rick
22 minutes 9 seconds ago
South African hunter WAS killed by a crocodile, DNA tests on human remains found
by pdx rick
Today at 04:35 AM
Saudi Arabia - yet again
by pdx rick
Today at 04:31 AM
Trump and Russia
by pdx rick
Today at 04:29 AM
fix the telemarketing thing
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
Yesterday at 04:28 PM
Trump's Great Speech
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 12:33 AM
American Nations
by Greger
05/21/17 08:14 PM
Next Trump Clusterfork: Tax Reform
by Greger
05/21/17 03:55 AM
just stuff - maps
by jgw
05/20/17 06:22 PM
Seth MacFarlane Is Headed to Space with 'The Orville' on Fox
by Golem
05/20/17 04:28 PM
How is Trump President?!
by Ken Condon
05/20/17 05:41 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by pondering_it_all
05/19/17 06:26 PM
Is this the most violent movie year in history?
by rporter314
05/19/17 05:30 PM
Ridley Scott Will Curate a Night of New Science Fiction Programming for TNT
by Golem
05/19/17 03:23 PM
Forum Stats
6220 Members
57 Forums
15910 Topics
274726 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#301260 - 05/19/17 09:31 AM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
I remember several threads dominated by our curmudgeonly friend. I also remember the frustration of the time trying to address how we should remedy the alleged defects. As my opening indicated, I agree there are defects in the process that should be remedied. I identified a few: winner take all, delegate distribution, State manipulation thereof. Some of these can be remedied with statutes, but ultimately it requires wide understanding of the problems and the seriousness of the threat. Then public pressure can be brought to bear on solutions.

Unfortunately, many of the problems are not legal issues, but social defects. Parties in the political process, like corporations in the economic sphere, can be useful tools for organizing - but are also objects used for abuse when their underlying purpose is distorted. This election was a prime example. Neither party "stood for" things in a way that the populace accepted so an unrepresentative demagogue was able to step in and usurp the machinery. The Russian-Trump connection is strong because neither represented the interests of the nation (neither still do).

Bulwarks need to be erected to prevent a recurrence, but one has to be careful not to damage the substructure and foundations in the process.

Or, us Dems can ensure that a Debbie Wasserman-Schultz type of shenanigans never happens again. Hmm

#301261 - 05/19/17 09:38 AM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
We all like to believe we are "typical Americans." It is more true for some of us than for others. Trump, too, thinks this (apparently).

Yeah...because Trump is so bright. rolleyes

So many of us typical Americans are running around stating that we're billionaires, while we're mere millionaires, we have filed corporate bankruptcies four times, mobster sleaze bag Roy Cohn was our mentor, and our daddies denied black Americans housing by place a "C" on their applications if they were "colored."

Also, so many of us who are typical Americans are puss-grabbers because we're special and the ladies let us do that to them. coffee

#301262 - 05/19/17 09:43 AM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: Ma_Republican]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ma_Republican
When I retire, one of the first things that I will do is roll a fatty.

Why wait? coffee

#301263 - 05/19/17 09:47 AM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I will bet my reasoning follows along with many right leaning voters; Hillary could not be allowed to appoint a Supreme Court Justice.

Why is that?

The only person who should not be allowed to appoint a Supreme Court Justice is Donald J Trump because of what the Republicans did to Merrick Garland. No where in the Constitution does it say that a president in his last year of Office cannot nominate a SCOTUS judge.

#301272 - 05/20/17 05:41 AM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: pdx rick]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Why wait?

I will be so bold as to answer that question for MA as he likely does not want to go there.. Feel free to correct me MA- if I am wrong.

In the past MA has stated that he works for a defense contractor, or at least in a company that has ties to such enterprises. Those companies generally take random UAs as an agreed upon term of employment. They have lists of banned substances that, if found in the random tests, are terms for dismissal. I would venture to guess that THC and associated compounds are in the list of frowned upon substances from MAs employer.

I am quite sure that Mr. MA wants to hang on with his employer long enough to get whatever retirement benefits he might be entitled to.

Am I warm?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
agentfity, ojixadybi, tjgraylaw, AndyEmisa, lubluodPix
6220 Registered Users
A2