Current Topics
Saudi Arabia - yet again
by Ujest Shurly
7 minutes 26 seconds ago
South African hunter WAS killed by a crocodile, DNA tests on human remains found
by logtroll
Today at 12:16 AM
Trump Forum
by logtroll
Today at 12:13 AM
fix the telemarketing thing
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 08:44 PM
15 Worst Star Trek Episodes Of All Time
by pondering_it_all
Yesterday at 06:05 PM
Trump and Russia
by rporter314
Yesterday at 03:13 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
05/22/17 04:28 PM
Trump's Great Speech
by pondering_it_all
05/22/17 12:33 AM
American Nations
by Greger
05/21/17 08:14 PM
Next Trump Clusterfork: Tax Reform
by Greger
05/21/17 03:55 AM
just stuff - maps
by jgw
05/20/17 06:22 PM
Seth MacFarlane Is Headed to Space with 'The Orville' on Fox
by Golem
05/20/17 04:28 PM
How is Trump President?!
by Ken Condon
05/20/17 05:41 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by pondering_it_all
05/19/17 06:26 PM
Is this the most violent movie year in history?
by rporter314
05/19/17 05:30 PM
Forum Stats
6220 Members
57 Forums
15911 Topics
274743 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#301139 - 05/08/17 06:59 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
You can't have life and death pitted against the motive profit.

Actually, you can. And that's exactly why we spend so much more of our GDP on healthcare than any other country. I think the phrase you wanted is: You shouldn't have life and death pitted against the profit motive.

It's like paying the firemen a bribe so they put out your house fire.

#301147 - 05/09/17 05:05 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
We spend more money because we allow the greedy to have at us through our elected. Its really that simple. I have yet to hear a single elected, on the left, say that its a social responsibility and not a for profit center for the greedy and stupid.

I also believe, if the Republicans get their way, and Trump signs it into law, that there is a good chance that the left can take over congress in 2018. If that happened I see absolutely no reason why Trump can't get impeached. If that happens then he is gone. It would be, I also think, a good thing to remove a president who has no real point of view, believes conspiracies, made the office to improve his own bottom line, lies and, generally, so far, is a really bad president. Its unfortunate that some poor, unhealthy, citizens will probably die as all this takes place. Hopefully the death count will not be high.

On the positive side it appears as if the Democrats are actually starting to fight back with ads in red states. Good for them! (its really about time).

Edited by jgw (05/09/17 06:04 PM)

#301151 - 05/09/17 07:29 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

It takes a 2/3 majority to convict in the Senate. I doubt there will ever be 2/3 Democrats in the Senate, so it's going to require a lot of Republican support to convict him. This is why I keep saying he has to make Republicans think they are likely to lose their jobs if he stays.

If ACHA passes and thousands of people start dying and going bankrupt, and the parents of dead kids start showing up in DC to kill their congressmen, that just might do it...

#301164 - 05/10/17 02:24 AM Re: healthcare a [Re: pondering_it_all]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
It's like paying the firemen a bribe so they put out your house fire.

I have a slight edit to your analogy: "It's like paying the firemen a bribe so they put out won't set your house on fire."

(But Hey! Don't worry. They'll put it out. There just might be a wee bit of damage done before the whole fire is out and the trucks have returned to the station.)

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#301191 - 05/11/17 10:21 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

I think that one of southern states passed a law about having to pay a charge of some sort for fire protection. If you didn't pay they did not put out your house on fire and, if the neighbor's house was threatened, and they paid, then they would get served, otherwise they burn down too. This was several years ago and was in the news and then went away. I have no idea what happened but, I suspect, they got ride of that one.

#301205 - 05/13/17 08:26 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
You may get a bill anyway, even if your home DOES burn to the ground.
And there is a chance that you may not even KNOW if your area requires you to pay a fire protection fee. AZ Family Charged Nearly $20,000 After Home Burns Down

Quote:
The Purcells claim they would have paid for the subscription had they known it existed.

“We would have paid it in a heartbeat,” Kasia Purcell said. “We never received a letter from them.”

Williams said the family elected not to subscribe.

I guess it is open to interpretation. The family says that they didn't know about it, fire chief thinks they rolled the dice.

The "Rural Metro" (a contradiction in terms) Fire Dept acknowledges that they "did not market subscriptions in that area until recently."

How quaint, to call it a "subscription"...like it's a magazine.
Sounds similar to the way health insurance will be marketed in the future. Insurance co neglects to inform people that they must pay an additional subscription fee, then denies coverage when they get sick or injured.

Cute.

#301207 - 05/13/17 11:55 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

I got my fire district protection bill yesterday in the mail. It's $120 per year.

At $20,000 I would just put in lots of sprinklers, a water cistern, and a pump, and tell the fire district to go piss up a rope. Or build a fire-proof house to begin with.

Sounds like they have a good case for a trespassing lawsuit. That private fire company came on their property with out a subscription (or any business relationship with the homeowners) or an invitation. I think the homeowners should go to court.

#301216 - 05/14/17 10:32 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Quote:
In Tennessee, one woman was so angry at a lawmaker’s vote in favor of the health care bill that she tried to run him off the road, according to police.

Woman Allegedly Tries to Run GOP Lawmaker Off Road Over Health Care Vote

Okay, that's 1 attempt, zero dead. Shall we start a pool?

Voting to destroy millions of people's health coverage is bound to rile some folks up. And voting to make sure crazy people can get guns has got to be the most self-destructive two pieces of legislation any Congress has ever passed.

#301224 - 05/15/17 08:57 PM Re: healthcare a [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

I am truly gobsmacked. I thought that fire thing happened and then went away - I guess not. I guess this is one for the Libertarians. So, you can be independent, not get taxed, and all you are risking is your house burning down? A REALLY good deal!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
agentfity, ojixadybi, tjgraylaw, AndyEmisa, lubluodPix
6220 Registered Users
A2