by Golem
10/17/17 03:19 PM
'Star Trek: Discovery' Drops Franchise's First F-Bomb
by Ken Condon
10/17/17 03:48 AM
Charolottesville
by NW Ponderer
10/16/17 11:55 PM
The Surprising Way a Confederate Submarine Crew Died at the Hands of Its Own Wea
by logtroll
10/16/17 03:35 PM
Ex-Green Beret Nate Boyer writes open letter to Trump, Kaepernick, NFL and Ameri
by Ujest Shurly
10/15/17 06:55 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/15/17 06:24 AM
The Most Heinous Party Foul
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/13/17 07:09 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
57 Forums
16071 Topics
276904 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#301260 - 05/19/17 09:31 AM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
I remember several threads dominated by our curmudgeonly friend. I also remember the frustration of the time trying to address how we should remedy the alleged defects. As my opening indicated, I agree there are defects in the process that should be remedied. I identified a few: winner take all, delegate distribution, State manipulation thereof. Some of these can be remedied with statutes, but ultimately it requires wide understanding of the problems and the seriousness of the threat. Then public pressure can be brought to bear on solutions.

Unfortunately, many of the problems are not legal issues, but social defects. Parties in the political process, like corporations in the economic sphere, can be useful tools for organizing - but are also objects used for abuse when their underlying purpose is distorted. This election was a prime example. Neither party "stood for" things in a way that the populace accepted so an unrepresentative demagogue was able to step in and usurp the machinery. The Russian-Trump connection is strong because neither represented the interests of the nation (neither still do).

Bulwarks need to be erected to prevent a recurrence, but one has to be careful not to damage the substructure and foundations in the process.

Or, us Dems can ensure that a Debbie Wasserman-Schultz type of shenanigans never happens again. Hmm

#301261 - 05/19/17 09:38 AM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
We all like to believe we are "typical Americans." It is more true for some of us than for others. Trump, too, thinks this (apparently).

Yeah...because Trump is so bright. rolleyes

So many of us typical Americans are running around stating that we're billionaires, while we're mere millionaires, we have filed corporate bankruptcies four times, mobster sleaze bag Roy Cohn was our mentor, and our daddies denied black Americans housing by place a "C" on their applications if they were "colored."

Also, so many of us who are typical Americans are puss-grabbers because we're special and the ladies let us do that to them. coffee

#301262 - 05/19/17 09:43 AM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: Ma_Republican]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ma_Republican
When I retire, one of the first things that I will do is roll a fatty.

Why wait? coffee

#301263 - 05/19/17 09:47 AM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I will bet my reasoning follows along with many right leaning voters; Hillary could not be allowed to appoint a Supreme Court Justice.

Why is that?

The only person who should not be allowed to appoint a Supreme Court Justice is Donald J Trump because of what the Republicans did to Merrick Garland. No where in the Constitution does it say that a president in his last year of Office cannot nominate a SCOTUS judge.

#301272 - 05/20/17 05:41 AM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: pdx rick]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
Why wait?

I will be so bold as to answer that question for MA as he likely does not want to go there.. Feel free to correct me MA- if I am wrong.

In the past MA has stated that he works for a defense contractor, or at least in a company that has ties to such enterprises. Those companies generally take random UAs as an agreed upon term of employment. They have lists of banned substances that, if found in the random tests, are terms for dismissal. I would venture to guess that THC and associated compounds are in the list of frowned upon substances from MAs employer.

I am quite sure that Mr. MA wants to hang on with his employer long enough to get whatever retirement benefits he might be entitled to.

Am I warm?

#301347 - 05/24/17 07:54 PM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: matthew]
matthew Offline

Originally Posted By: matthew
I remember a posting here about nine years ago which seems to have been borne out by our recent history: LINK
Quote:
As I recall from my political indoctrination ---- I mean, my civics classes ---- the world-view of the framers of the Old Constitution was distinctly jaundiced, and that they assumed that people who sought power were not to be trusted. That is why there were so many "checks and balances" in the first place. In this, at least, they showed some acumen. But,

tempora mutantur, nos et in illis mutamur.
[Times change, and we change with them]

The crude and simple-minded safeguards in the Old Constitution may have been adequate for the unsophisticated, agrarian America of the 18th century, but they are ludicrously deficient in a 21st century society which is technologically complex, dominated by vast, soulless aggregates of monopolistic power, and where militarism and ruthlessness are sedulously cultivated in both the rulers and in their pawns. The Constitution has failed, is failing and will fail ever more disastrously as time goes by. Within the next ten years, I predict that its utter inanity will be apparent even to the astute commentators here on Capitol Hill Blue.

Americans: Government is broken big time

Nearly nine of every 10 Americans think the government of this country is broken, but they still hope that it can be fixed.

The history of American politics demonstrates the triumph of hope over experience.

The insane are those who keep doing the same thing, hoping that they will get a different result.

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans

#301348 - 05/24/17 08:18 PM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: matthew]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Nearly nine of every 10 Americans think the government of this country is broken, but they still hope that it can be fixed.

Broken down a little further...4.5 of those 9 out of 10 think the government is broken because it is to liberal, the other 4.5 think it is too conservative.

Hmm

#301349 - 05/24/17 08:59 PM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
The other 1 out of ten are made up of morons who have no opinion because they barely think about anything but TV and beer, and the few anarchists who want to destroy the government because they never learned how to share in Kindergarten.

But we really should get over partisan loyalties and labels. Here's a few question everybody should answer and their Congressmen respond:

How do you feel about Social Security? It has certain real requirements to keep working.

Should it collect more money or pay less?
Should we increase the standard retirement age from 66?
Should we increase the cutoff limit so rich folks keep on paying the same percentage no matter how much they make?

How do you feel about health coverage?

Should we let people without insurance die in the ER parking lot if they can't produce cash?
Should we provide free coverage for poor kids?
How about poor adults?
How about disabled people?

How do you feel about foodstamps?

Should we feed poor kids?
Should we feed the disabled or sick?
Should we feed the poor?

And so forth. If Congress just enacted legislation based on how we felt, things might work a lot better. I can tell you right now, pot would be totally legal for anybody over 21.

#301351 - 05/24/17 09:26 PM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Jeex, PIA, that's a lot of questions. But to most of us here the answers are pretty obvious.
Social Security...
We need to increase the cutoff limit and leave the retirement age alone or even lower it. If anything payouts need to increase.
Health coverage...
Should be universal.
Foodstamps...
Should be easily and readily available for all who qualify with very few restrictions on what can and cannot be purchased.

And yes, weed should be legal for anyone over 18.
College tuition should also be free for lower income families.

Both Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton had solid plans to make this(and much more) possible. Yet here we sit with Donald Trump serving as our president... cry

#301352 - 05/24/17 09:30 PM Re: How is Trump President?! [Re: Greger]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

And speaking of weed we need to get rid of all those piss tests that prevent many who would like to from being able to indulge in a safe, fun, and healthy recreational herb.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2