by Golem
09/24/17 07:32 PM
Martin Scorsese, Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci Reunite in Irishman Set Photos
by Golem
09/23/17 11:38 PM
The Hoarding of the American Dream
by pondering_it_all
09/23/17 03:38 AM
With Obamacare repeal less likely, opponents of expansion in the states have jus
by pondering_it_all
09/21/17 11:34 PM
Why America’s 1994 deal with North Korea failed – and what Trump canlearnfromit
by matthew
09/20/17 09:05 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2017
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/20/17 05:24 PM
What Trump Really Eats For Dinner, According to Chef David Burke
by pdx rick
09/20/17 03:39 AM
Happy Birthday, United States Air Force
by pondering_it_all
09/18/17 10:46 PM
The Olympics Are Actually Going to Be Terrible For Los Angeles
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/18/17 06:46 PM
The Equifax Hack
by pondering_it_all
09/18/17 12:49 AM
Twin Peaks
by jgw
09/17/17 08:20 PM
Forum Stats
6247 Members
57 Forums
16047 Topics
276627 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#301875 - 06/25/17 07:32 PM Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Quote:
The richest newcomer to Forbes 2015 list of America’s Richest Families comes in at a stunning $14 billion. The Sackler family, which owns Stamford, Conn.-based Purdue Pharma, flew under the radar when Forbes launched its initial list of wealthiest families in July 2014, but this year they crack the top-20, edging out storied families like the Busches, Mellons and Rockefellers.

How did the Sacklers build the 16th-largest fortune in the country? The short answer: making the most popular and controversial opioid of the 21st century -- OxyContin.

For all the griping and whining about big government taking away our freedoms, for all the pathetic claims that "We're going to build a wall", for all the nonstop quacking about liberals taxing the working people into poverty, for all the projections about bad hombres smuggling coke and pot across the border...nothing even comes close to the scourge wrought on our most vulnerable Americans by our own built in, protected, legal drug cartel, the Purdue Pharma empire, built by the Sackler family of Connecticut.

Take a trip across America's Gulf Coast, down through the Florida Panhandle and up into Kentucky, West by God Virginia, Indiana and even Missouri, and the number of doctor shopper pain clinics will boggle your mind.

In fact, Missouri is now the only state without a prescription drug monitoring program, meaning it's the best place to get hooked on oxycodone, or start your own pill trafficking operation.
Florida held the lead in pill mills until right around 2011.
Then Missouri took the lead with a novel idea: FREEDUMB...freedom for the pill dealers.

"If they overdose and kill themselves, it just removes them from the gene pool,” quoted during an eight-hour filibuster led by Sen. Rob Schaaf, (R-St. Joseph) against a proposed pill monitoring program bill in 2012.

This was excellent news for pill dealers from Tennessee to Illinois, who rejoiced, knowing their lucrative trade would not be threatened, and that finally, someone in government was looking out for them.
It was also good news for the Sackler family, because even the smallest pain doctor operation, that sees only eighty patients a day can move as much as twenty thousand pills.
That's a sh!t-ton of Oxy, and a sh!t-ton of money.

The OxyContin Clan

#301876 - 06/25/17 08:11 PM Re: Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Is that Mike Bloomberg in the piccy? Looks like him. Hmm Anyway, I've posted this before:

The revenge of the 'Oxy electorate' helped fuel Trump's election upset
Business Insider

Quote:
Chris Arnade, an independent journalist who has spent the past four years traveling the US to document the opioid crisis, was one of the few who weren't surprised. After traveling tens of thousands of miles in working-class communities along the Rust Belt and elsewhere, he found one constant.

"Wherever I saw strong addiction and strong drug use," Arnade told Business Insider, he saw support for Trump.

Official voting data has suggested a similar correlation. Since the November 8 election, Shannon Monnat, a rural sociologist and demographer at Pennsylvania State University, has dug into the results. She found that counties that voted more heavily for Trump than expected were closely correlated with counties that experienced high rates of death caused by drugs, alcohol, and suicide.

#301893 - 06/26/17 08:52 PM Re: Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Loc: North San Diego County
There's a ton of oxy addicts, and people who shift to heroin because it is easier to get. And there's a ton of chronic pain patients with everything from terminal bone cancer to dissolved spinal discs. The VERY hard part is sorting out the ones who have the real pain other than the pain of withdrawal.

All the government drug suppression programs do a LOUSY job of this and make it much harder for chronic pain patients and their doctors. One bright spot is the invention of drugs like traMADOL, that have the pain-blocking structure of opioids without the euphoria or addiction.

Maybe some opioid addicts can shift to pot. Several states have medical or even recreational marijuana and modern strains with up to 25% THC offer some pretty powerful pain relief with little addiction and no overdoses.

#301897 - 06/27/17 08:44 AM Re: Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
...modern strains with up to 25% THC offer some pretty powerful pain relief with little addiction and no overdoses.

The guys in my vanpool say that no one has ever overdosed from marijuana. Hmm

#301902 - 06/27/17 12:47 PM Re: Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)

#301919 - 06/28/17 03:43 AM Re: Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

Quote:
The guys in my vanpool say that no one has ever overdosed from marijuana.

I remember my youth, decades ago: You get so high you forget to pass the joint and everybody just sits on the couch enjoying the music for a while. It just goes out. Could be an hour or so.

Hey, let's order a pizza!

#301938 - 06/29/17 02:56 AM Re: Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels [Re: logtroll]
Irked Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere out in left field
Originally Posted By: logtroll

It's just such a shame that they can't make quality films like this anymore: films that don't just cover a daring topic in a tasteful and dignified manner, but a work imbued with Eternal Truths.

Coulda tripped out easy, but I've changed my ways - Donovan

I consider myself to be a laid back type and quite tolerant on most issues - AB Breivik

#301940 - 06/29/17 07:32 AM Re: Cartels? We don't need no steenking cartels [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
old hand

I always wore a snappy suit and tie when I fired up a dubie. Pocket square, too!

Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr, asoso
6247 Registered Users
A2