6248 Members
57 Forums
16104 Topics
277471 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#302366 - 07/18/17 11:37 AM Re: Public Option is the ONLY Option [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

This is a dangerous time. Although I can't disagree with your assessment, beware the "clean" repeal. I don't see the moderates going with it, but that is McConnell's strategy - being able to blame the moderates for the "failure" rather than the freedom caucus or himself. The truth is, he's a lousy leader, but he needs to deflect blame.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#302367 - 07/18/17 12:04 PM Re: Public Option is the ONLY Option [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
wow .... simply allow ACA to collapse .... blame Dems for it ... come to rescue with a worse law and blame the Dems for it

mean while millions lose HC

an intersting political move

#302371 - 07/18/17 05:18 PM Re: Public Option is the ONLY Option [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Repeal is not reconciliation. Doesn't it require 60 votes in the Senate? I think McConnell expects repeal to fail, so he can blame moderates, but the math won't work out for that.

#302374 - 07/18/17 06:04 PM Re: Public Option is the ONLY Option [Re: pondering_it_all]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Repeal is not reconciliation. Doesn't it require 60 votes in the Senate?

I think you are right. But in any case, 3 Regressives have already come out against 'repeal only'.

#302375 - 07/18/17 07:41 PM Re: Public Option is the ONLY Option [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

#302377 - 07/18/17 09:03 PM Re: Public Option is the ONLY Option [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Online   content

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I just wish they would pass their plan, or, better yet, repeal. If they do this the ACA will fail VERY fast and Trump will then lose his base (the 30% he actually has) and next year they can all be voted out of office. It would seem, however, that the righteous right of congress actually fear losing their jobs so who knows? The Dems have been standing up with an actual plan and the right seems to be blinking so what we have is a heathcare crap shoot and little else. Its obviously not about actual healthcare but jobs for the elected and party loyalty.

I have always wondered why nobody is talking about the 150+ ACA Republican amendments. I remember, at the time, how they worked, very hard, to amend the hell out of it and then refused to vote for a bill that they wrote at least half of. One would think that the left would point this out, but ............... (I suspect one could goto cspan and actually see videos of the markup)

Now the big deal is to simply remove the ACA and replace (maybe) in 2 years. If the conservatives, you know, the ones who are always talking about taking care of the national debt, pass this one they will increase the debt by well over 100 billion dollars! (as well as destroying healthcare in America). Of course, they will also be unable to ever pass anything, have made up their minds that the Dems are the devil incarnate, etc. so they will own it ALL! One might google "national debt democrat vs republican" to garner more virtually ignored by everybody.

Then there is (based on the fact that the Dems seem to buy into this one along with the right) the healthcare market myth (google "healthcare market myth). There is no such thing as a healthcare market!!! I really don't understand this one either. This is the basis of all arguments of the right and the assumption there is such a market is just another damned lie, evidently accepted by ALL sides!

As far as I can tell the Dems just keep on missing a LOT of factual arguments when 'resisting'. There is a claim that the Democrats have not communicated just what they stand for and this may be true. I must get at least 20 emails a day asking for money and little else - just something else I don't get - must be old age. They could, for instance, start talking about how they are better with the debt than the republicans (as well has a few more things which they seem to ignore)

Edited by jgw (07/18/17 09:05 PM)

#302381 - 07/19/17 09:16 AM Re: Public Option is the ONLY Option [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

For seven years, they had one job. They couldn't even do THAT while owning three branches of government.

What a bunch of incompetents. LOL

(...but America won - and that's what counts! laugh )

#302384 - 07/19/17 05:45 PM Re: Public Option is the ONLY Option [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

I was reading some website yesterday about the threatening letter police found at Senator Heller's office the other night. It said that killing ACA would kill the author, and he would take Heller with him. It was a pretty stark death threat.

That's not the unusual thing. I'm sure that happens on a regular basis. The unusual thing is that there were over 3000 reader posts, and I did not see a single one that did not support the letter writer!

#302387 - 07/20/17 10:14 PM Re: Public Option is the ONLY Option [Re: NW Ponderer]
matthew Offline

'
What a "shower" these so-called "conservative" crypto-fascists are !!

For years they have been hysterical about "Obamacare," passing bill after bill repealing it (as long as they were sure Obama would veto it), proclaiming that as soon as they had the power, they would repeal it and replace it with a red-white-and-blue true American plan --- they had it all ready to go!

And now that they have power, and have to face the consequences of repeal (like being tarred and feathered at the next election), watch them stumble all over themselves like the Keystone Kops!

What a pathetic bunch of "leaders" of a country!

Meanwhile, out there in the Real World, civilized countries have had sensible, well thought-out health care for decades and decades!

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans

#302392 - 07/21/17 02:20 AM Re: Public Option is the ONLY Option [Re: matthew]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Quote:
watch them stumble all over themselves like the Keystone Kops!

Well, they never thought Trump would actually win...

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
1 registered (jgw), 23 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2