6248 Members
58 Forums
16290 Topics
280417 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#302011 - 07/03/17 06:02 PM John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We in the United States have been blessed with a free press, guaranteed in our founding document, the Constitution's First Amendment. We haven't suffered the scourge of state media -
until now. John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard of” - Vox.

It's important to do what we can to try to thwart this.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#302017 - 07/03/17 09:51 PM Re: John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard [Re: NW Ponderer]
matthew Offline

'
The notion that the USA has a "free press" is certainly a well-established myth.

That it is a ridiculous meme should be clear with a moment's reflection that the main stream media consists of a handful of corporations, that the billionaire oligarchs own or control most of those corporations, can "set standards," can hire, fire or "ease out" reporters who do not toe the line, and can control the "sources of information" for most of their reporting.

It is far easier to deceive folks than to convince them they are deceived

#302019 - 07/03/17 10:09 PM Re: John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have to disagree in the main, Matthew. The "free press" is not limited to MSM (an ill-defined term). When you've seen life in a nation without it, it gives you a different perspective and greater appreciation for it. I don't disagree that there are many news outlets that reflect corporate control (e.g., FOX and Sinclair), but the are also a myriad of outlets that are free of such influence - e.g., CS Monitor.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#302020 - 07/03/17 10:10 PM Re: John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
If you hated it when Clear Channel made all local radio start sounding the same, you're really going to hate what Sinclair is going to do with local TV news....and it's all going to be about six steps to the right of Fox News Channel, too.

I called this on Mon Jun 19 2017 at 12:48 PM and the Ranters ignored it LOL.

From the Trump Forum

#302021 - 07/03/17 10:11 PM Re: John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not I!

#302029 - 07/04/17 10:35 AM Re: John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard [Re: matthew]
rporter314 Online   content
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
those corporations, can "set standards," can hire, fire or "ease out" reporters who do not toe the line, and can control the "sources of information" for most of their reporting

what news have I not heard because some evil corp is keeping it away from me?

ET's are among us? Zombie apocalypse is here?We are really insects in disguise?Martians are controlling my mind? nothing is real? The Fake News is really fake?

clue me in .... but how would you know what the real true story is if everything is controlled?

#302036 - 07/04/17 11:07 PM Re: John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard [Re: NW Ponderer]
matthew Offline

'
How about the US government helping to fund ISIS and supplying it with weapons?

#302044 - 07/05/17 05:39 AM Re: John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You're right, I've never heard that. I wonder why?

#302046 - 07/05/17 06:19 AM Re: John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: matthew
'How about the US government helping to fund ISIS and supplying it with weapons.

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
You're right, I've never heard that. I wonder why?

You would if you hang out in the internet bowels that I frequent. I read that Obama and Clinton supplied ISIS with arms all of the time from Trump sycophants and CONservatives. They actually believe it. Hmm

One reality they discount: When L Paul Bremmer fired all of the Iraqi police and military three months after our invasion, those tactically trained men became iSIS under al-Zarqawi.

The sycophants and CONservatives think all of those fired men went and opened falafel courts. Bless their white pointed-hood wearing hearts. coffee

#302099 - 07/07/17 12:49 AM Re: John Oliver explains “the most influential media company that you’ve never heard [Re: NW Ponderer]
matthew Offline

'
The US has been funneling weapons and money to ISIS through the Saudis and other intermediaries for a long time.

It's all about destabilizing the mid-east. Wake up and smell the coffee.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2