Forum Stats
6248 Members
57 Forums
16101 Topics
277436 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#302393 - 07/21/17 06:11 PM Was That Racist?
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA
Was That Racist?

Adeel Hassan and others
The New York Times
July 19, 2017

Quote:
... Not So Black and White

A barista had just finished preparing an order and then called out “tall, black Marques; tall, black Marques.” Marques, a 6-foot-2 African-American man who works for a demolition company based in Colorado, stood bewildered by what seemed to be a racially charged incident inside a Starbucks.

After realizing the misunderstanding — “tall, black” was referring to the coffee, not the person ordering it — he laughed and defused the situation with a joke: “That’s me, tall black Marques!”

Everyday life brings awkward moments for everyone, but some of our daily stories are infused with added tension, especially if one or more of those involved perceive that race is a determining factor.

We collected three more experiences from colleagues — on the sidewalks of New York, at a restaurant in Kansas City, Mo., and in the business world. Each case carries a different degree of clarity, and what took place can be a matter of perception...

Full article

This might be intended as an ongoing feature at the NYT.

You can sign up for the Race/Related newsletter. Also, there's a form where you can share your experiences with racism or perceived racism.

NY Times reporter accuses white women of racism on city sidewalks

Joe Concha
The Hill
July 21, 2017

Quote:
The New York Times is facing blowback on social media after publishing an essay by an African-American reporter who accused white women of racism for not ceding space on city sidewalks to black men.

In a Wednesday essay titled "Was That Racist," reporter Greg Howard singled out white women for forcing him "off the sidewalk completely" when walking toward him, not allowing a straight path.

More

#302394 - 07/21/17 11:51 PM Re: Was That Racist? [Re: Golem]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
the second i see all the time and it happens with almost anyone. it is called discourteous behavior by arrogant or oblivious abutts.

My sister and I run frequently and she either ignores people or jumps out of their way. My sister is oblivious

#302396 - 07/22/17 02:57 AM Re: Was That Racist? [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
The white women thing might be racist but I am careful to note that a goodly number of urban white women of a certain age seem to be particularly rude on the road as well.
That still doesn't rule out that they are being racist, but it might mean that it is a combination of two factors, the rude Type A "Take Charge" bitch and the unconscious racist who dares people of color to challenge her newfound sense of privilege.

#302397 - 07/22/17 03:00 PM Re: Was That Racist? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Oddly, in my 65 years in the deep south, while I've seen a lot of racists, I've seldom seen actual instances of racism perpetrated on individuals. People are generally rude and self absorbed but racists, more often than not, are cowards who keep their disgusting views to themselves in mixed company preferring to spout those views among their peers or these days while hiding behind internet anonymity.
Racism, as I see it, is a much deeper societal problem than what we generally see on the surface. It's there, it's always there, plenty of statistics prove it's existence beyond doubt, but it tends to be hidden and denied.

#302504 - 07/29/17 08:50 PM Re: Was That Racist? [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Greger, there are so many video clips of angry old white women and old white men screaming racial slurs at people that it's now it's own genre on social media.
You could broadcast these clips back to back for a month and never run out of them. Whether it's in a parking lot, a fast food restaurant, on an airplane, at a hotel or on the job, I am convinced you would have to work hard to ignore them.

#302507 - 07/29/17 10:16 PM Re: Was That Racist? [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
I'm certainly not denying it exists. And I've seen some of the videos, but in my day to day life it just isn't something I've ever seen much of.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2