by Golem
Today at 03:19 PM
'Star Trek: Discovery' Drops Franchise's First F-Bomb
by Ken Condon
Today at 03:48 AM
Charolottesville
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
The Surprising Way a Confederate Submarine Crew Died at the Hands of Its Own Wea
by logtroll
Yesterday at 03:35 PM
Trump's war on Americans
by Greger
Yesterday at 02:06 AM
Ex-Green Beret Nate Boyer writes open letter to Trump, Kaepernick, NFL and Ameri
by Ujest Shurly
10/15/17 06:55 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/15/17 06:24 AM
Our entitled ruling class
by Ken Condon
10/14/17 05:22 AM
The Most Heinous Party Foul
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/13/17 07:09 PM
The Intellectual Roots of the War against Columbus
by NW Ponderer
10/13/17 04:40 PM
Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams - TV series
by jgw
10/12/17 09:05 PM
Trump Forum
by pondering_it_all
10/11/17 11:59 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
57 Forums
16070 Topics
276885 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#302599 - 08/06/17 08:49 PM shutdown
jgw Online   content

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
We all know what the right wants. Less government, fewer regulations, no taxes, wars forever, etc. (I actually think that is pretty close!). Now, consider, when Obama took over, jan 20, 2009 Mconnell immediately layed out the Republican strategy when it comes to Obama, basically, above all else, stop ANYTHING Obama wants. They were denied that, until the next election so Obama was able to get Obamacare enacted into law (half of Obamacare, incidentally, was written by the Republicans in the form of over 160 amendments which were incorporated into the law).

Here is a discussion of the "McConnell" plan:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/us/politics/17mcconnell.html?pagewanted=all

Now, he did that after Obama was elected but before he took office so they started right up with their "strategy" of obstruction over all else. They continued this for the 8 years Obama was in congress. Obama, for instance, wanted to fix problems with Obamacare but the Republicans stopped that from happening. I can remember when Obama wanted to fix infrastructure - Trump, in theory, now wants to do it (it was all his plan in the first place <g>). Obama tried to stop the forever war of Afghanistan too - Republicans have now rolled that back too. Basically, the 8 years of the Obama administration was marked (some say scarred) by a consistent, ongoing, and effective effort to stop just about anything that black president tried to do. (make no mistake, 'black' had to do with it!). On top of this even more interesting things were accomplished by the right. I particularly like the simple fact that they have so cut the funding of the IRS that the IRS is no longer able to collect as well as it could. During the Obama administration the Republicans managed to cut somewhere around 20% of the IRS budget and has more cuts in his proposals. So, basically, the right is not just cutting taxes but cutting them so much that we can't actually collect the taxes should currently be paying. On top of this they also want to increase the military, already the biggest, most expensive, and best in the world, by over 50 billion dollars, keep the forever war in Afghanistan rolling along, and give the 1% something like 300 billion in tax cuts (I think its more but am too lazy to look it up).

Anyway, here is were we now stand. After 8 years of not allowing much to happen (actually 6 as the right never actually took it all over until 2 years after Obama's election) we reach the time where the right owns all of gov, lock stock and barrel. One would think it would be a time of gov moving along, making America great again, fixing everything, (Trump is consistent, we will have better, cheaper, and less expensive healthcare, a better military, win everything, lose nothing, and take care of them damned immigrants who have been stealing all our jobs). The facts, however, are somewhat different. Basically, other than rolling back any and all environmental regulations the could, denying climate change, and flirting with new wars to come there has been little actually happen. Well, other than the bluster and lies raining down like snow in winter.

Given all the above I would submit that the current plan, by them in charge, is to shut it all down, except for war and politics. They have plans and those are being done. Their plans for public schooling and the environment are pretty easy to see - just shut them things down! They are reducing taxes making sure that gov can't function. Then, when that happens, its, obviously a plot by Hillary and the left. Its kinda like Obamacare. They tell us, EVERY day, how its failing but never mention their hands in that mess. They will tell you they have done nothing and, I guess, that includes making the insurance companies so nervous about it all that they are starting to simply stop until they know, as Trump has said, just what the hell is going on (and nobody is telling them).

Basically, I think, the right is doing really well. They have cleverly figured out a way to get gov off their backs by simply starving it to death - except when it comes to the military and war, of course. If they can keep this up, for the next 3.5 years I betcha they will be dancing in the streets as they will have won and that, I think, is what its all about.

#302630 - 08/09/17 03:22 AM Re: shutdown [Re: jgw]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
We are approaching Republican nirvana: privatized roads, privatized parking, privatized mail delivery, privatized military (because we all have fond memories of Blackwater) to join the successes of a privatized penal system, privatized schools, and our all-time favorite, privatized medicine .... oh, privatized police, privatized fire fighters, and privatized utilities, too.

They're just cutting out the middleman (the U.S. government). Soon the robber barons can just collect the money directly from us.

Thanks, fellow Americans, for showing up and telling our elected officials what the true majority wants.

All that exercising of free speech rights will probably fire up that thirty-some percent who can't stop celebrating the election of a man who can do little more than crow about that one accomplishment.

But there's nothing more hilarious than the home-made signs the right-wingers come up with. Remember "No Pubic Option" and "Get a clue, morans"? Second season!

OK, I feel better.

#302677 - 08/14/17 03:00 AM Re: shutdown [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
I don't, but I think you just made me lose ten pounds.
I vomited.

Who's Online
1 registered (jgw), 55 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2