16101 Topics
277436 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#302765 - 08/18/17 04:45 PM Cultural iconography
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This morning, on CBS, there was a story about Stone Mountain's bas relief sculpture of Confederate Generals. I also got to see a Facebook rant about how the Confederate battle flag is "part of our culture." Then I see,Maryland State House Removes Statue Of Judge Who Wrote Dred Scott Decision. This is a fast moving train.

Those on the right like to lament that it is "white washing history", but the reality is that these monuments ARE the White washing of history. There are certain moments in US history when Confederate monuments go up

The larger question, I think, are which cultural icons actually do represent the country? CAN these monuments BE "put in context"?

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#302775 - 08/18/17 11:37 PM Re: Cultural iconography [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Yes, it's kinda strange. In every other country, people put up memorials to the winners, not the losers. Or they memorialize where something terrible happened like the Nazi death camps with lists of the dead or something similar. They don't put up statues of the f^%&ing death camp guards.

#302776 - 08/19/17 02:50 PM Re: Cultural iconography [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The only place I think Confederate battle flag belong is at battlefields and memorials. Definitely NOT on State houses or public buildings.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#302781 - 08/20/17 01:28 AM Re: Cultural iconography [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Civil war reinactments would be fine, too. Actually, those battle flags were just that. They were not state flags.

Putting a bumper sticker on your car or flying one on your house just says: "I'm such a loser, I'm still on the losing side of a 150 year old fight." God God, people. You lost 150 years ago and you've lost every single fight over the same issues ever since. What's wrong with you? Why do you want to celebrate that? Grow up and move on. Do something more constructive.

#302869 - 08/25/17 05:27 PM Re: Cultural iconography [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There was A GREAT discussion on this topic on "philosophy talk"... I'm trying to find a link to the podcast.

Edited by NW Ponderer (08/25/17 05:30 PM)

#302870 - 08/25/17 05:52 PM Re: Cultural iconography [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

As a white male from a border State, I'm surprised I have such a strong feeling about this topic, but I do. I think it is important that we as a nation and society have a long and heartfelt discussion about the symbols that represent us. The standing or sitting for the national anthem is another recent touchstone in this debate.

What things are so egregious that they merit expulsion from the public square? Creating the Ku Klux Klan? Writing the Dred Scott decision? Leading a rebellion against the United States? Murdering fellow citizens? Kneeling for the national anthem? Suppressing dissent? Owning slaves? Where do we draw the line?

Benedict Arnold was a great General and Patriot before he became a traitor. Taney served as Chief Justice for nearly four decades. Joe Paterno was the winningest coach in NCAA football history. Stalin fought Hitler. Hitler fought Stalin. Mussolini got the trains running on time...

Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2