LOL , ROTFMOL

#303196 - 09/22/17 12:00 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

#303197 - 09/22/17 12:48 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: pdx rick]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
In keeping with the Elton John theme set by "Rocket Man," Andy Borowitz wrote that Kim Jong Un called Trump "Honky Cat." I love Borowitz's satire.

#303199 - 09/22/17 04:10 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
rporter314 Online   content
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
I knew the word "dotard" but I believe this is the first time I have ever seen it used .... kudos to whomever wordsmith used it

#303202 - 09/23/17 03:00 AM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Quote:
The Washington Post reports that dotard meant "imbecile" when it was first used in the 14th century and comes from the Middle English word "doten," meaning "to dote," according to Merriam-Webster.

"It was used by Chaucer in 'The Canterbury Tales,' and it appeared numerous times in William Shakespeare's work, including 'The Merchant of Venice' and 'King Lear," the Post says.

"J.R.R. Tolkien was also fond of 'dotard,' which was a popular pejorative in literature and beyond. The word was used to insult Martin Van Buren, who preceded Trump in the White House by about 175 years, and by Union Army Gen. George McClellan to describe his Civil War predecessor, Gen. Winfield Scott, whom he did not like."

Google News

#303215 - 09/24/17 03:09 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: pdx rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Donald Trump has united the NFL: Ravens/Jaguars; and the NBA. He's unleashed a monster, and it's going to bite hard. I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes an impetus for entire teams to kneel. I know I would, and I spent 30 years in uniform.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303219 - 09/24/17 06:07 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I know he likes to pick fights with everybody, but this times I think he's gone too far. Attacking the NFL and the NBA is going to lose him a considerable portion of his base. What's next? WWE and NASCAR?

#303225 - 09/24/17 11:07 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
matthew Offline

'
President Dotard Bum?

By 2020, a certain political figure may have collected titles as long and convoluted as those that graced the Habsburg dynasty.

Emperor of Austria, Apostolic King of Hungary, King of Bohemia, of Dalmatia, of Croatia, of Slavonia, of Galicia, of Lodomeria, and of Illyria, King of Jerusalem, and so forth, Archduke of Austria, Grand Duke of Tuscany and of Cracow, Duke of Lorraine, of Salzburg, of Styria, of Carinthia, of Carniola and of the Bukovina, Grand Prince of Transylvania, Margrave in Moravia, Duke of Upper and Lower Silesia, of Modena, Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla, of Auschwitz and Zator, of Teschen, Friuli, Ragusa and Zara, Princely Count of Habsburg and Tyrol, of Kyburg, Gorizia and Gradisca, Prince of Trient and Brixen, Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia and in Istria, Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz, Sonnenberg, and so forth, Lord of Trieste, of Cattaro and of the Wendish Mark, Grand Voivode of the Voivodship of Serbia, and so forth, Sovereign of the Order of the Golden Fleece

Edited by matthew (09/24/17 11:13 PM)

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans

#303228 - 09/25/17 03:59 AM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
I know he likes to pick fights with everybody, but this times I think he's gone too far. Attacking the NFL and the NBA is going to lose him a considerable portion of his base. What's next? WWE and NASCAR?

Apparently Mr. Trump has never heard of "The Streisand Effect".

Kaepernick taking a knee was never about disrespecting the flag, or the anthem, or the United States.
It wasn't....EVER.
It was about taking a stand against issues which he felt impacted him as a black man, and it was about his fellow persons of color.
It was about his perception, a perception widely held, of injustice. It was about his right to express his opinion of those injustices.
It was about giving voice to all those who feel that they HAVE NO voice.
And taking a knee is not "giving the finger".
When you get on one knee, or two, it is not a sign of disrespect, it's a sign of humility, a sign of grief, a sign of PRAYER.

But now, it is so much more than that, thanks to President Donald Trump!
President Donald Trump decided that this issue was about demanding loyalty and FEALTY TO HIM, to Donald Trump, and Donald Trump's perceptions of the world, perceptions which describe WHITE NATIONALISTS as "very fine people", and NFL players as "sons of bitches".
And by doing this, he has also dragged the MOTHERS of these players into it because by association, they are now "BITCHES" who welped these people which he views as lower than dogs.
And by doing this, Donald Trump has laid down with his own dogs, and he has caught a monumental case of fleas.
So, this is no longer just an issue of protesting injustice.
Oh no, now this is about Donald Trump...Donald Trump the bully.
And I sincerely hope and pray that the entire National Football League takes a knee if only to let President Donald Trump know that he is NOT A KING.

#303229 - 09/25/17 03:54 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Don't get your hopes up about any noticeable backlash regarding the president's stance on athletes "taking a knee". It appears that 40% of Americans are racist at heart, nothing is going to change that in the foreseeable future. He knows exactly what his base wants and every time he opens his mouth, or Twitter account, he is speaking directly to them. The rest of America can go straight to Hell.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2