Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#303231 - 09/25/17 06:15 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Very true Greger. As far as Trump is concerned he is the President only of his base. The rest of the Americans can go straight to hell. They aren’t “real Americans” anyway, so they don't matter.

And his base loves him all the more because of that.

#303241 - 09/26/17 09:17 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Pretty damned good interview of Dan Rather:
What's Behind Dan Rather's Wild Popularity

Quote:
We must be on guard because partisan political forces are working hard to lessen the notion of truth. They want truth to be in the eye of the beholder. But a lie is a lie. And I am heartened that many in the press now are not afraid to use that word when it is warranted...

We are living in a time of unmitigated deceit by many of those in power and intimidation towards the press. They are looking at any weakness they can exploit and will bandy about the idea of fake news when it serves their purposes. They will use the press to their benefit and then turn on it at the slightest provocation. Sadly, this is how the world works. As the old adage says, to be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Worth reading the whole thing.

#303242 - 09/27/17 04:32 AM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

P_I_A, remember that discussion we had about a month ago about Kevin James' TV wives and you noted that Leah Remini was not realistic and I told you about his new TV wife being very thin and good-looking.

Welp, last season on Kevin's freshman CBS show, Leah Remini guest-starred as a former co-worker to Kevin James' retired character in a two-part season finale. (James plays a retired cop).

Apparently, the ratings for those two episodes when through the roof. So Kevin James who is Executive Producer and CBS decided to kill-off the new TV wife and make Leah Remini a permanent on the new show this season.

It was explained in the first three minutes of the sophomore season debut how the wife died "last year" and how the family still misses her and are grieving.

I know!!!!! crazy

#303248 - 09/27/17 08:30 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Well, there you go. I'm telling you she is one hot number. I don't have network TV. Is she still a big girl, or has she slimmed down to early King of Queens dimensions? She was certainly on my freebie list back then.

#303249 - 09/27/17 10:00 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Ken Condon]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How we would cover Trump's handling of Puerto Rico if it were happening in another country - VOX.
Quote:
WASHINGTON — The controversial leader of the United States of America, Donald Trump, is under fire yet again — this time for his failure to respond to a growing natural disaster in one of his nation’s colonial possessions in the Caribbean Sea.

The island of Puerto Rico, populated by roughly 3.4 million people, was hit by Hurricane Maria on September 20. Massive storm surges and winds that reached up to 150 miles an hour destroyed most of the island’s infrastructure. More than 1 million Puerto Ricans have no access to potable water, and almost all are without electricity or cellular service.

These conditions are nearly unheard of in the US, one of the world’s largest and richest nations. Yet America’s disaster relief agency, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), is already struggling to respond to two earlier hurricanes — one in Texas, a large oil-rich province in the country’s South, and one in Florida, a politically influential territory home to Trump’s opulent Mar-a-Lago presidential palace. FEMA is also chronically underfunded and an object of fear in traditional American folklore, which holds that it is the epicenter of an international conspiracy to lock up Americans in work camps.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303250 - 09/27/17 11:43 PM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
My question, just what exactly does anyone think could be DONE if a ship were to VIOLATE the so called "Jones Act" under the guise of delivering aid to Puerto Rico?
Would the United States Government actually try to PROSECUTE after the fact?
That would be very interesting to watch, and I guarantee you the optics of any lawmakers who tried to support such prosecution would be "fatal".
Please share this question on other social media if you like, under hash tag #violatejonesactforPR because I would like to see the discussion evolve.

#303252 - 09/28/17 01:07 AM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Truth is, President Trump isn't the one who would or could do the actual prosecuting....much as I am sure he would like to.
So the point is, he would have to have someone in the judicial branch and in law enforcement act as the tip of the spear, and I am stating that it's a job I bet NO ONE would want.

For example: The hypothetical "SS Helpmate" an imaginary freighter from Liberia decides to dock and start sending out supplies.
They would be liable for prosecution under current maritime law under this Jones Act business.
Who exactly would be doing the prosecuting, the serving of the warrants, summons and what not? In what court would this case land? What would be the federal penalties? Would there be jail time for the captain? Civil penalties for the shipping company?

How do the nuts and bolts of a Jones Act violation case work?

#303258 - 09/29/17 12:18 AM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Apparently, the problem in Puerto Rico now is not in the shipping: They have 10000 containers sitting in the port and can't truck them away. The roads are screwed up. The drivers can't get to the trucks. Nobody can even talk to the drivers because all the phones are dead. And finally, best of all there's no fuel for drivers to get to work or to run the trucks.

The trucking industry requires a certain amount of infrastructure and all that is broken. No power, so no computers to direct the drivers. No banks running to handle to financial aspects. And so on...

#303259 - 09/29/17 01:27 AM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: pondering_it_all]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

This is true PIA.

But it is a problem that could be alleviated if “we" really wanted to do so.

#303266 - 09/30/17 04:30 AM Re: Round Table For September 2017 [Re: Ken Condon]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

And then I ponder “Why would Donald Trump ever give a Flying Fuchsia about Puerto Rico? He doesn’t and he won’t.

Being a territory- Puerto Ricans cannot vote for POTUS or just about anything else that us “Real Americans” are allowed by law to vote for. Or against. So why would Mr. Trump care about those people in that Hurricane Maria ravaged territory?

He doesn’t. And never would. Unless, through external forces, he felt compelled to act-- out of no concern from his own psyche. But rather that of of political expediency. A fine and compassionate giant of a man is our very own Donald Trump.

A Statesman in waiting....

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2