16104 Topics
277471 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#303039 - 09/07/17 07:28 PM Why politicians can't fix anything
jgw Online   content

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
For years I have been preaching my belief that the perfect politician is one who wants to fix stuff that is wrong with gov. I have come to the conclusion that my desire for such is just yet more wishful thinking.

I forgot just one little thing. If one is going to fix something they must, first, recognize that something needs fixing. My idea politician would list stuff that he/she thinks needs fixing and THAT is the problem. This is because that would mean said politician would have to actually admit, right out loud, that something is wrong with the government they are supposed to be in charge of and that, obviously, is never going to happen!

Just wanted to say this and apologize for even thinking that the political class is capable to actually admitting that something might be wrong on their watch.

Sorry............

#303040 - 09/08/17 02:56 AM Re: Why politicians can't fix anything [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Jeebus, what world are you living in? In my world politicians are perfectly willing to tell you what's wrong, and that they need your support so they can fix the problems.

Of course, their idea of a problem may seem like "not a problem" to me, and their idea of a solution may seem idiotic. But I'm sure I remember Republicans speaking up when Democrats ran things, and vice versa. Democrats are pretty quiet these days because they want to make sure Republicans get full credit for their stupid ideas.

#303043 - 09/08/17 10:23 AM Re: Why politicians can't fix anything [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
there are in fact a number of politicians who do and will say government is broken ... but government is the problem. they therefore believe (for ideological reasons) their fix is to deconstruct government. the problem with their solution is then government would not provide any services for its citizens. they would have therefore dissolved the contract between citizens and created government.

#303046 - 09/08/17 06:02 PM Re: Why politicians can't fix anything [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Yeah, there are tons of "weekend Libertarians" out there. It's all the rage to rage about government "doing stuff". But wait until the hurricane peels your roof off. Then there's not a single Libertarian in sight. People get over their aversion to government real fast, when they suddenly need help.

#303047 - 09/08/17 06:05 PM Re: Why politicians can't fix anything [Re: jgw]
jgw Online   content

I cannot remember a single one of my politicians who even mentioned the word "fix", or mentioned something that they wanted to "fix". They have new and wonderful offerings but NEVER do they even mention the word! They do, however, mention all the bad things that the opposition has done but, again, NEVER offer to fix it. They are, however, really big on change and we got that in spades after the last presidential. What the last election did prove, beyond a doubt, is that votes COUNT!

Apparently I am just not paying attention..........

#303050 - 09/08/17 06:18 PM Re: Why politicians can't fix anything [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

They certainly don't use these things for TV sound bites: That's a sure way to lose. But if you do bother to go on the internet most politicians do have a website with their positions and proposals laid out. For us nerds who actually pay any attention to issues, few that we are.

#303063 - 09/09/17 06:04 PM Re: Why politicians can't fix anything [Re: jgw]
jgw Online   content

Here is a link to my congressman, Derik Kilmer. He is a nice kid, I have known him for a while. He is smart and his heart is in the right place and he tries. He wants, however, to fix one thing (and change lots more). A commission on voting - that's it. Please not there is not one word about fixing the Hanford Disaster, healthcare, etc. Basically this is the only instance of 'fix' on his entire site. I could move on to the senators but I have been there before - same, same...........

Stuff that goes wrong in gov is interesting all by itself. Most of the gov programs/agencies/etc were put in place because of a perceived need. Such should, however, be controlled, and if the original need was taken care of then such gov programs/agencies/etc should be shut down. We used to have a Senator Henry Jackson. I can remember when he got a federal railroad office, in Washington DC shut down. Seems the office, federally supported with something like 5 employees, had existed for years after the reason for their existence was gone. Our gov problems are, basically, the result of a couple of things. The first, I think, is the congress as a whole. I believe that they have lost sight of why they are there in favor of 'winning'. I think that is also true of most of the long serving in congress. The big deal is 'change' which, I believe, is a serious error and not what is necessary. The first thing to do is to fix what is broken and stopping what is unnecessary. THEN its time for change! Instead of simply letting agencies expand to the point of silly (agriculture is a really good example). Another problem is gov oversight which is weak, often off point, and allows our 'mature' bureaucracies to run amuck in their bureaucratic efforts to secure their own jobs rather than mission. Our elected are supposed to control/manage the bureaucracies of gov and they have, obviously abdicated that duty to a large degree.

I could continue to rant but it would get redundant to the point of personal silly. Anyway, just saying .........

#303065 - 09/09/17 09:01 PM Re: Why politicians can't fix anything [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

You have to be reasonable. One little Congressman versus Hanford is like a flea attacking Godzilla. That is something so big it takes a Party Platform and then win to get anything done. You are talking about a substantial portion of waste site cleanup funds, maybe all of it for several years to do it right.

#303080 - 09/12/17 07:26 PM Re: Why politicians can't fix anything [Re: jgw]
jgw Online   content

You misunderstand. I want ALL my elected to at least mention the problem. Go to any of their sites, not a single one (unless things have changed in two weeks, even bother to mention it. This, in spite of the simple fact that we could lose the entire columbia basin. The stuff has already hit the water table!) The same company has been in charge for over 30 years and, during that time, the problem is actually now worse than when they started. They have also been colluding with the energy dept to kill their employees. AS all my elected are Dems one would think that would set them off but, apparently, not.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2