277471 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#303049 - 09/08/17 06:16 PM The Equifax Hack
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
They are currently reporting that Equifax was hacked and, literally, millions have now had their personal data taken by criminals. Since its Equifax its ALL you personal records (so the criminals will be able to figure out the best 'clients' to steal from).

Even better is that Equifax held off telling anybody about it whilst top management could sell off their stock in anticipation of a stock fall.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/08/investing/equifax-stock-insider-sales-hack-data-breach/

I can remember when the congress, many years ago, before the internet, at the behest of the banking industry, passed a law that removed any responsibility for any personal information held by not only the banks but ANY company that holds the personal information of others. This is, incidentally, why you never hear of any law suits when stuff gets hacked. OUR congress decreed that anybody who holds the personal information of others is simply not responsible for such information. I would cite this law but can't remember what it was called but remember when it happened as it was covered by media for at least 1 day.

So, if you have a bank account, use any credit at all, owe money etc. your personal records are now in the hands of criminals. I, of course, am not concerned as I pay Equifax to secure my records (I am currently waiting for them to explain all this to me. I would have said I was holding my breath but I fear that wouldn't work). I expect my wait might be a bit long. I also see they are offering a complimentary identity theft protection and credit file monitoring services. The 's', at the end of service is a direct copy from their site so I actually have no idea what they are offering. I have written to them asking what I get, free, as a current subscriber. (one can only hope?)

Edited by jgw (09/08/17 06:40 PM)

#303052 - 09/08/17 06:37 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
They said that their "core holdings" were not hacked. So probably the only records hacked were those of people who did things like use their credit cards to freeze their accounts!

But of course, if your accounts are frozen you avoid the worst kind of identity theft: Scammers opening credit accounts with your name. Just watch your credit card statements for any phony charges, and report those right away. Your credit card company will then change your account number, send you new cards, and reverse the charges.

I think this could potentially change the credit industry.

Everybody should really keep their accounts frozen at all three agencies, and have just one credit card account they watch carefully. When you want a credit report sent, you unlock the account at a single agency just for that creditor for one report. Then the lock goes back on. The era of easy credit is over.

This is why we can't have nice things.

#303053 - 09/08/17 06:48 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: pondering_it_all]
jgw Offline

My records were taken. I know this because they told me so. What you said may, or may not be true (these people do not tell all). I also firmly believe, when this stuff happens, that they were incompetent, lazy, saving money, and because they are not responsible, just didn't give a damn. I have done business with all of them for years and know this to be a fact (I used to have a debt collection agency amongst other stuff involving credit).

I continue to believe that the only real way to fix the hacking problem is to make these people responsible for the records they hold. If this were done they would actually fix their problems. I guess I should add that most companies, and governments, can be easily hacked. Hell, you can go out to the net and download the programs necessary to do the deed! Its yet another instance, of everybody being concerned about a known problem and doing little or nothing about it.

Edited by jgw (09/08/17 06:50 PM)

#303056 - 09/08/17 10:43 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

A good class action lawsuit that bankrupts them would do a world of good at the two remaining credit reporters. Unfortunately, I think they have jiggered the laws to the point that a suit won't work.

#303057 - 09/08/17 11:22 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
Ujest Shurly Online   sleepy
stranger

Loc: Michigan, USA
The easiest way in and that most likely to happen is the human factor; somebody did something stupid like opening up a Trojan email. People, the strongest and weakest link...

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#303059 - 09/09/17 10:13 AM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

If you let your workers access the internet and email from the same computers that have access to the customer database, that's all it takes. One bad website, one phishing email, one mistake and you have a keylogger on that computer. Then the hackers just read the keylog to get the password to the database. Then they just need any company computer with remote access enabled and they're in.

There are safeguards possible. For example, require all employees to carry a key fob that generates new pins constantly. They have to enter the current pin to get in at start of shift, which proves they have the key. Anybody outside would just have one minute per day when they could know the pin. If they read a keylog any time later, the pin would be invalid.

#303081 - 09/12/17 07:34 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Let me say it again. OUR congress, at the behest of the banking industry, made ANYBODY holding data of others not responsible for that data. Rather generous of them, I think? There are any number of things that they could have done to secure their site and they didn't do that, not unlike banks and just about everybody else. Its pretty obvious that American corporations just don't want to fix anything when their own welfare is not on the line - that might hurt their bottom line. They don't take the long view or, I suspect, that would change this stuff but they don't. Just thought I would mention that the same mental set now inhabits our gov - short term seems to be the way it is these days.

I am waiting for somebody to crack one of the really big data farms. How about the new one, in Utah, I think, would probably be a great place to start with but any cloud data farm would probably do. Its really time for those holding our data to be responsible for that data. This, of course, includes gov (which is probably the real reason for letting everybody off the hook?)

#303087 - 09/13/17 04:18 AM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

The Senate will vote in November to dismiss the new Consumer Protection Agency's rule that binding arbitration be done away with, in the spring of 2018. The House voted to take the rule away last July.

Hopefully this Equifax crisis happened for a reason and the Senate will kill the House plan.

#303089 - 09/13/17 02:43 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I wouldn't hold my breath. Congress is owned by the finance industry. It need its pet legislators more than ever. They'll probably vote to provide a special tax break for them.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303090 - 09/13/17 07:52 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

"Congress is owned by"; drug industry, medical industry, banking industry, airplane industry, (basically EVERY industry) Also, do not forget organizations; doctors, lawyers, unions, trades, religion, etc.
then the antis: gays, women, spending, government, etc.

We should never consider the congress to be singularly bought and paid for <G> They are, if nothing else, singularly self serving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2