Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#303093 - 09/13/17 08:25 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Well, what's the sense of paying Republicans all that money to get elected, if they don't do you little favors? We're talking Return On Investment here.

You give money to Democrats and they might decide to do the right thing instead of helping you out. Might...

#303126 - 09/16/17 06:31 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I was going to say "why are we paying them anything?" but that is not fair. I believe that there are a number, on both sides, that want to do the best thing for the nation. That was proved in the 3 month deal. The talking heads pretty much agree that a lot of good legislation could be passed if the 'leadership' would allow that legislation to get voted on. Instead that same 'leadership' does the bidding of folks like the freedom caucus. Those voting against the 3 month deal were 90 strong. There are 247 Republicans in congress so the crazed Republicans represent 37% of their group, hardly a majority yet the entire contingent seems to passively go along with the crazies but will vote if given half a chance for, I suspect, virtually anything that might do some good. I also suspect that the Dems probably have approximately the same numbers in their own contingent. The rest, apparently, are willing to not only talk to the other side but vote on stuff they can agree on. What both sides need to do is to purge their leadership of leaders determined to 'win' no matter what since, again apparently, the sane are in the majority in all instances. I also suspect that the real 'problem' is that the sane would prefer not to have the job, and be forced to deal with their crazies.

I keep thinking that the congress will grow a pair, do the right thing, do their damned jobs, deal with Trump and the crazies, and get on to actually fixing the nation. I know, just more wishful thinking - just not gonna happen...........

Instead we have a president who thinks its a good idea to toss waste into running streams, attack his own supporters as well as his supposed party, malign and attack on a regular basis, remove any and all regulations no matter what, all of which kinda pale to the feathering of his own nest.

#303133 - 09/16/17 08:47 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

It will be interesting to see if Trump ever vetoes anything. He'd so anxious for "wins" I suspect he's will to sign anything and then try to take credit for it. Like legislation to fix DACA. His base may howl but there are a ton of Democrats and half the Republicans who would favor that.

Bills are really complicated and run to several hundred pages. He doesn't like to read anything with more than one page. So I'm sure all he ever looks at is the "executive summary" page.

#303151 - 09/17/17 08:43 PM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
What he is referencing as 'winning' is actually gov doing its job. One of the main problems is the 'win' thing. Apparently this is dandy with everybody. Perhaps its a bit like the wonderful game of football wherein most who play the game, even in high school, end up with a physically serious brain disability.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/larg...players-n786386

Good point on the signing thing. I think you are right on point. He will sign anything put in front of him just to claim victory and then its just ignored.

Edited by jgw (09/17/17 08:45 PM)

#303152 - 09/18/17 12:49 AM Re: The Equifax Hack [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

I think he would relish signing a major bill that does something. Doesn't matter what very much. He's taken every possible position on every issue, so he can claim anything as a "win". He sees the world as winners and losers, and it's vitally important to be one of the winners.

Not passing bad legislation might be important to Congressional Republicans, but not to Trump. That's not how you win. You have to actually pass something to win. And if Republicans can't deliver bills to his desk to be signed, well maybe the Democrats can.

I doubt Sanders' Medicare For All bill can ever get out of committee, but the bill to shore up ACA could. It has some moderate Republicans on board and with all the Democrats, they could send it to Trump. He would sign it in a minute and say:

"See, I told you we would make it better and available to everybody." Because that was one of his campaign promises. And then insist on calling it TrumpCare.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2