Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#303434 - 10/12/17 03:18 PM Re: Our entitled ruling class [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Fixed.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303436 - 10/12/17 09:26 PM Re: Our entitled ruling class [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
All this is painful, but, I expect, necessary to take care of the problem. His minions are, obviously, self serving, greedy jerks. They take the abuse of the lying jackass and then feather their beds without a thought as if its their due. Why wouldn't they? Trump has set the bar and its lying on the ground.

On the upside the lying jackass is working very hard to accomplish his finish we just have to remember that everytime he carries on he offends many and creates yet more enemies. The latest, I think, are the NFL owners. These are idiots, who seem to have ponied up millions for the Trump election, now they get to reap the rewards <G> He continues to piss off the entire Hispanic nation with his Puerto Rico stuff (somehow the news hasn't even started with the U.S. Virgin Islands but that too will reap yet more enemies for him). I keep on wondering who he will go after next. Oh, he has also done a job on the congress, irregardless of whether they support him or not. All in all this hasn't been a bad week. I just keep wondering when, or will, the Republican grow a pair and get rid of him. As far as I can tell he has little support in the congress and, I am sure, there will be less soon. He just ripped Obamacare a new one which also means that many will be losing their insurance and, hopefully, many will be them Trump supporters.

I think my main concern is that the 'legit' media (cbs, abc, nbc, cnn, etc) continues to work very hard at covering both sides and allow the Trumps mouths to voice the same old tired lies without being challenged. My fond hope that, given his abuse of the press, they will at least question the worst of the lies but I doubt it.

Hope is almost burning eternal!!

#303448 - 10/14/17 12:31 AM Re: Our entitled ruling class [Re: NW Ponderer]
matthew Offline

'
Very good comments, jgw.

But the Inflexible Grammarian in me notes that irregardless is not a word --- though regardless is.

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans

#303449 - 10/14/17 05:22 AM Re: Our entitled ruling class [Re: matthew]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Irregardless of that or even regardless-- you are a class asked commentator.

Welcome abroad.

#303494 - 10/17/17 08:15 PM Re: Our entitled ruling class [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline

#303497 - 10/18/17 04:32 PM Re: Our entitled ruling class [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ain't ain't a word, neither.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303499 - 10/18/17 07:53 PM Re: Our entitled ruling class [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ain%27t

#303506 - 10/19/17 02:09 PM Re: Our entitled ruling class [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

'Twas an attempt at humor, my friend, irregardless.

#303507 - 10/19/17 04:15 PM Re: Our entitled ruling class [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Although this is only tangentially related, grammar and spelling only recently became the province of elites, and more recently subject to 'democratization'.
Quote:
The history of English grammars begins late in the sixteenth century with the Pamphlet for Grammar by William Bullokar. In the early works, the structure and rules of English grammar were contrasted with those of Latin. A more modern approach, incorporating phonology, was introduced in the nineteenth century.
Wikipedia. Grammar was often used to distinguish classes - since it was only used by the "educated." Similarly, spelling was a tool to segregate, and was even used for political purposes. Noah Webster's dictionary "Americanized" spelling of words to distinguish it from the English versions - such as dropping the 'u' from 'honour', and simplified spelling, such as substituting 's' for 'c' in defense/defence and making 'er' the common ending, instead of 're', such as in 'center' or 'theater'

Quote:
The English language owes a great debt to Shakespeare. He invented over 1700 of our common words by changing nouns into verbs, changing verbs into adjectives, connecting words never before used together, adding prefixes and suffixes, and devising words wholly original.
Shakespeare online.

Americans have also invented thousands of words that have been adopted into english and other languages.

#303513 - 10/20/17 01:01 AM Re: Our entitled ruling class [Re: NW Ponderer]
matthew Offline

Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
Ain't ain't a word, neither.

Well, "ain't" is almost always shockingly sub-standard in the USA, but in England still is in vogue with the upper classes, particularly the country gentry, where it is strictly confined to the first person singular : "I ain't....", or "Ain't I...?"

The problem is that the correct negative contraction of the first person singular copula is "amn't", which is difficult to pronounce correctly. In England, both "amn't" and "aren't" are pronounced ahnt, as in the refined pronunciation of "aunt".

It is easy to see how "ain't" arose from ahnt, and why so many Americans commit the dreadful solecism of saying "Aren't I...?" for the negative contraction of "am I not?" "Are" is strictly a plural form, and should never be used with the first person singular. That usage is even worse -- much worse -- than "ain't".

If I said, "I am superbly educated, aren't I?" it would be true, but a grammatical howler. Only "am I not" or "ain't I" can be considered correct.

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2