Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#303477 - 10/16/17 04:46 PM The Danger of President Pence
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Danger of President Pence
Quote:
“The Kochs were very excited about the Vice-Presidential pick,” Short told me. “There are areas where they differ from the Administration, but now there are many areas they’re partnering with us on.” Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, a Democrat from Rhode Island, who has accused the Kochs of buying undue influence, particularly on environmental policy—Koch Industries has a long history of pollution—is less enthusiastic about their alliance with Pence. “If Pence were to become President for any reason, the government would be run by the Koch brothers—period. He’s been their tool for years,” he said. Bannon is equally alarmed at the prospect of a Pence Presidency. He told me, “I’m concerned he’d be a President that the Kochs would own.”

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303488 - 10/17/17 04:40 PM Re: The Danger of President Pence [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
I think it is even worse than that. Apparently Mr Trump (and his accomplice's) are packing federal courts with religious zealots. These people believe the Bible is above the constitution.

I have to agree with Sec Dr Carson that religious nuts have no business in government if they bring their religion on board. It is the only thing he ever said which made sense. (Of course he was only talking about religions other than his brand but the idea should be expanded to all religions)

#303489 - 10/17/17 05:01 PM Re: The Danger of President Pence [Re: rporter314]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Okay, this is personal, now! Vice President Mike Pence to headline Orlando GOP event.
Quote:
The state party announced Monday that Pence will headline the annual Statesman’s Dinner at the Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa at Walt Disney World on Nov. 2.
I'm vacationing that week and staying at the Grand Floridian. I might be in proximity to that execrable excuse for a human being when I'm trying to enjoy some respite from him!?

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303496 - 10/18/17 10:22 AM Re: The Danger of President Pence [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
even though WH denied report Mr Trump mocked VP Pence and his anti-gay belief, how can it not be a true and valid report? VP Pence's brand of Christianity hates certain people .... and that Sarah Huckabee is a fact

#303502 - 10/19/17 01:57 AM Re: The Danger of President Pence [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Of course President Pence's hands would be tied in terms of what he could do about LGBTQs. Supreme Court rulings don't just go away when you get a new President. I think they're politically empowered now and they have LOTS of money, some of them, because they don't spend much on sending kids to college.

Whatever he tried would surely be challenged in the courts and government has to show a compelling interest, not a religious one.

#303503 - 10/19/17 02:58 AM Re: The Danger of President Pence [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Pence would be a placeholder, just like Gerald Ford.
Once an impeachment proceeding triggers a resignation, the base that brought that president to power is no longer credible. There is a palpable instinct in all of this by most Americans.
Pence could make grand speeches and attempt whatever he likes but at the end of the day, most Americans know that the only reason he occupies the office is because his boss, the man he stuck by, had to resign in disgrace, or had to be removed by force following a full impeachment and conviction.

#303508 - 10/19/17 04:54 PM Re: The Danger of President Pence [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't think there is a full enough appreciation of how close we already are to totality. Our democracy is a hair's breadth from being obliterated. In the past, the courts have been a bulwark against corporate and government overreach, but court-packing is getting rid of that. Gerrymandering is eliminating competition and radicalizing legislators. Nazis have a sympathizer-in-chief. Now steps are being taken to marginalize the press, suppress dissent, and jail opponents. A good international crisis could tip the balance: Bush got reelected despite Iraq.

#303511 - 10/19/17 08:19 PM Re: The Danger of President Pence [Re: rporter314]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida

#303515 - 10/20/17 03:15 AM Re: The Danger of President Pence [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
I don't think there is a full enough appreciation of how close we already are to totality. Our democracy is a hair's breadth from being obliterated. In the past, the courts have been a bulwark against corporate and government overreach, but court-packing is getting rid of that. Gerrymandering is eliminating competition and radicalizing legislators. Nazis have a sympathizer-in-chief. Now steps are being taken to marginalize the press, suppress dissent, and jail opponents. A good international crisis could tip the balance: Bush got reelected despite Iraq.

I already said that Trump is the perfect virus sent to destroy secular democracy.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2