Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 32 of 36 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 >
Topic Options
#302941 - 08/31/17 11:40 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Trump can't touch state convictions and state prisons work perfectly well. Last time I checked, almost all executions are carried out by states rather than the federal government.

As long as those convictions are state convictions and contempt charges are in state courts, Trump can do nothing. Pardoning people who can testify against you (IE. in the same conspiracy) is a huge tactical error: You just immunize them from federal prosecution which means they can't take the fifth amendment and refuse to testify. They will be required to testify or go the jail for contempt. If those are state courts, Trump can do nothing about those contempt charges.

#303324 - 10/03/17 04:45 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
North Korea appears to have a new Internet connection — (thanks to Russia)

Quote:
A state-owned Russian telecommunications firm has given North Korea a new Internet connection, potentially increasing Pyongyang's ability to stage cyberattacks and protect the embattled country's online infrastructure.

The new connection was first spotted by Internet analysts at Oracle Dyn, who noted that a new connection for North Koreans provided by the Russian firm TransTeleCom appeared in Internet routing databases about 5:38 p.m. Pyongyang time Sunday.

Hate to say it but perhaps it IS time to rethink Russian access to the rest of the internet currently in Western hands, at least until they have a few months to think about the consequences of their actions.
If the Russians wish to enjoy a quarantined intranet between themselves and North Korea, they should go ahead and do so however if the West needs to take steps to protect themselves, it may have to start with the West dealing a death blow against Russia's own connectivity to the West. They're already implicated in espionage and cybercrime activity against Western democracies, including the United States. How much more should we tolerate before we hit back at the fifth column?
Okay all my fellow liberals, let's hear you pronounce judgment on this, my most conservative position ever in my adult life.
Yeah, sometimes I shock myself with how conservative some of my views can be.
But please, before you condemn my newly minted conservative position, try offering other solutions instead. How else can Western democracies protect themselves from Russian state sanctioned cybercrime activities AND North Korean intrusions into the open internet?
Any ideas? I'd love to hear them.

#303325 - 10/03/17 04:52 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Seriously, maybe my addled old brain is out of fresh ideas on how to deal with this. So aside from just cutting as much Western connectivity to Russia as is possible, what else can we do?
The global internet is a robust architecture and it is probably impossible to completely isolate Russian connections to the West however Russian IP addresses are as unique as any other country's IP numbers, and it is possible to segregate blocks of IP addresses based on their national origin alone.

In addition, it is also possible to build software that can deep scan the origin of packets from that region and allow defensive measures to be engaged at the next level down. Knowledge of how that works exactly is beyond my ken and beyond my pay grade, I am not well enough trained to speak confidently on those ideas, so I am asking for help.

Is this a Quixotic stab at a moving target bound to end in failure?
Is it even possible to quarantine an entire segment of the internet effectively based on national origin for defensive purposes. Would any such effort in that direction achieve any measurable results?

#303342 - 10/04/17 03:07 AM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

It's not impossible at all, from the very beginning of the internet. It is called Internet Death and it was reserved for nodes with bad behavior. In the past, that was defined as things like a DDOS attack: A node can send millions of packets asking another node to respond and effectively shut down that other node because it is busy responding. What you do is to identify that sender's IP address and block it in every router. It can send it's millions of packets and as soon as they hit a router they get discarded. But that also kills all legitimate traffic from that node.

That's just one example and pretty simple. But what about more complex "bad behavior"? What about phishing attacks? What about perfectly normal postings to Slate or Capital Hill Blue that pretend to be a Trump fan making a fake news story about Clinton?

Because that the real "bad behavior" now. That's how the Kremlin got Trump elected, and it has been doing stuff like that for a very long time. Whatever disrupts American Democracy the most. I would not be surprised if Republicans announcing they were going to oppose everything Obama proposed in 2008, originated in the Kremlin. That's just what they do, they have been doing it in one form or another for more than 50 years, and they will do it in the future.

Russians are still Russians, and Putin is the former head of the KGB.

It is entirely possible to stop, but where do you cut the cables? Is China in the new internet? Wait, they are the main supporter of North Korea and cutting off connection to China is unthinkable because of all our business ties.

#303344 - 10/04/17 03:44 AM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all

It is entirely possible to stop, but where do you cut the cables? Is China in the new internet? Wait, they are the main supporter of North Korea and cutting off connection to China is unthinkable because of all our business ties.

China hasn't gifted Kim Jong Un with a shiny new Internet Connectin Musheen.

#303346 - 10/04/17 05:40 AM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Quote:

But they could, very easily. I think we need something much more sophisticated than just cutting a connection. We need content-oriented packet inspection by AI. But you can't just inspect packets from North Korea. What about the Kremlin Troll Farm? What about ISIS and Al Queda? What about 20 or 30 other regimes that would like to harm us or steal from us, not to mention all the individual scam artists using the internet?

I think you need to inspect every packet that goes through every router on the backbone. And I think this is inevitable because all the nefarious stuff on the internet is making it more of a necessity.

#303360 - 10/05/17 02:29 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Quote:

But they could, very easily. I think we need something much more sophisticated than just cutting a connection. We need content-oriented packet inspection by AI. But you can't just inspect packets from North Korea. What about the Kremlin Troll Farm? What about ISIS and Al Queda? What about 20 or 30 other regimes that would like to harm us or steal from us, not to mention all the individual scam artists using the internet?

I think you need to inspect every packet that goes through every router on the backbone. And I think this is inevitable because all the nefarious stuff on the internet is making it more of a necessity.

I will agree that simple quarantine or wholesale death to entire blocks of IP nodes is the equivalent of killing a wasp nest with a howitzer gun. I am, despite my frustration, reluctant to use a blunt tool if a more precise one becomes available.
Precision however, costs money.
I smell disaster capitalism because today's social media is currently becoming a vast network of inundated Houston and Florida flood plains. The intellectual baseline is now fully infected with parasites and the host body is experiencing convulsions.

And just like the current health care situation, the free market gurus will attempt to make the case that a secure and more beneficial internet looks like a brand new cash cow, in need of a nice spanking new set of supportive fees and surcharges.
The Republicans will also, despite their protestations against "big government", insist on a whole new government agency to TSA the living Hell out of everything we see, hear and read on this new secure internet, and conservatives would love nothing better than to see that agency heavily politicized, backed by a privatized data mining firm that they own stock in, and funded by tolls, constant tolls everywhere.
That will fit in nicely with their fantasy of a multi-tiered internet where the big comm moguls enjoy faster speeds while the proles and sops are segregated to the slow lanes.

#303368 - 10/06/17 12:32 AM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Quote:
That will fit in nicely with their fantasy of a multi-tiered internet where the big comm moguls enjoy faster speeds while the proles and sops are segregated to the slow lanes.

More or less, that is already here: My cable company offers several different connection speeds, and you pay for speed. So do telcos with DSL tiers, etc.

Maybe this could be voluntary? For $5 a month you get super-secure packet delivery? It could be done right at your ISP's router just before it gets to your computer. Your choice if you want to pay for it.

#303369 - 10/06/17 12:51 AM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

For five bucks a month? Of course I would subscribe, and I'd advise everyone else to do the same, if for that five bucks I can be sure I'll never see a post from Russian, Chinese or other paid bots again, in my email or on social media.
I suspect however, that such a feature would be about forty bucks a month extra within two years and it would also open several boxes of the Pandora variety.
Know what Facebook Jail is? It's where you get unceremoniously blocked from posting anywhere from 12 hours to 30 days, or even permanently if Facebook decides you posted something that violated community standards, which usually amounts to a person reporting your post because it hurt their feelings.
No appeals, no recourse, nothing.
Don't wanna pay the extra forty bucks? Well, you might find yourself scooped up into the jail bucket a lot more often.

For your own good, of course!

#303535 - 10/22/17 12:51 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pdx rick]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

From Eric Swalwell (D-CA) U.S. Representative's government website:

Representative Swalwell is pretty bold putting this out there on his Representative site. I'm surprised that Rep Swelwell hasn't received an angry 4 am Tweet when Trump takes a dump from his porcelain throne.

Page 32 of 36 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2