Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#303546 - 10/24/17 12:08 AM Gun Control
joebialek123 Offline
stranger

The second amendment of the United States Constitution states:

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Obviously, the need for a state militia has been replaced by the National Guard and Coast Guard, whereby trained military personnel are entrusted with the defense of this country against domestic enemies. Their weapons are tightly controlled and safeguarded.

The only two reasons for a citizen to own a firearm are for hunting or defense of the household from intruders. In either case, ownership of a handgun, shotgun or rifle is more than adequate to satisfy these purposes. There is absolutely no need for any U.S. civilian to own any weapon more powerful or sophisticated than these.

Accordingly, all handguns, shotguns and rifles must be licensed and registered to the degree necessary to match weapon to owner at the click of a computer key. Furthermore, we must guarantee that the mentally ill do not gain access to them under any circumstances. Finally, if we had prohibited the purchase of more sophisticated weapons, several innocent victims would not have died or been harmed at shopping malls, college campuses, Congressional meetings, churches and now concerts. We as a country must deal with this issue immediately lest our society fall back to the days when everyone carried a holster.

#303547 - 10/24/17 12:25 AM Re: Gun Control [Re: joebialek123]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
We as a country must deal with this issue immediately lest our society fall back to the days when everyone carried a holster.

Too late, Joe, we're already there. Maybe even past "there". Back in the wild wild west, men were not obsessed with guns. They didn't collect them or fetishize them.
I don't know if there's any way to ever stuff that Genie back in the bottle.

#303548 - 10/24/17 02:46 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
At least the Las Vegas Massacre got the NRA behind banning automatic weapons and we got a bump stock ban.

rolleyes

#303549 - 10/24/17 08:53 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: joebialek123]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Welcome to ReaderRant, Joe!

#303551 - 10/24/17 09:43 PM Gun Control
joebialek123 Offline
stranger

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Obviously, the need for a state militia has been replaced by the National Guard and Coast Guard, whereby trained military personnel are entrusted with the defense of this country against domestic enemies. Their weapons are tightly controlled and safeguarded.

The only two reasons for a citizen to own a firearm are for hunting or defense of the household from intruders. In either case, ownership of a handgun, shotgun or rifle is more than adequate to satisfy these purposes. There is absolutely no need for any U.S. civilian to own any weapon more powerful or sophisticated than these.

Accordingly, all handguns, shotguns and rifles must be licensed and registered to the degree necessary to match weapon to owner at the click of a computer key. Furthermore, we must guarantee that the mentally ill do not gain access to them under any circumstances. Finally, if we had prohibited the purchase of more sophisticated weapons, several innocent victims would not have died or been harmed at shopping malls, college campuses, Congressional meetings, churches and now concerts. We as a country must deal with this issue immediately lest our society fall back to the days when everyone carried a holster.

#303554 - 10/25/17 02:36 AM Re: Gun Control [Re: joebialek123]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: joebialek123

The only two reasons for a citizen to own a firearm are for hunting or defense of the household from intruders. In either case, ownership of a handgun, shotgun or rifle is more than adequate to satisfy these purposes.

Bow Great post. And, welcome to Reader Rant. smile

#303555 - 10/25/17 02:46 AM Re: Gun Control [Re: joebialek123]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Looks like we have two of these threads that are the same.
[Noted and corrected - NWP]

#303559 - 10/25/17 08:40 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: joebialek123]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Greger said it better than I can.
The folks in the days of the Old West knew the gun culture and lifestyle but it didn't resemble anything we see today by a long shot.

#303564 - 10/26/17 06:38 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: joebialek123]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
How we deal with guns says, I think, a lot about who we are. We have, in the past few years, seen small children slaughtered, people in a movie slaughtered, people at an outdoor dance slaughtered, attendees in a night club slaughtered, etc. (the list of this stuff is long). After such occurrences we beat our breasts and cry out in outrage, for, maybe, a couple of weeks and then it all goes away and nothing gets changed. Yep, it says a LOT about who we are, it also says, basically, that as a nation we are unwilling to go against the NRA which is controlled and funded by the nation's gun manufacturers.

So, to recap, we seem to actually support this stuff or it would have been fixed by now, other countries have done so and can't even come close to our daily slaughter by guns. So, I think its fair to say that, basically, we don't care that innocents and children are regularly getting shot. If we don't care about something like that then the question becomes just what do we care about? Well, for starters anybody can have a gun, carry a gun (hidden or not). Better yet we can pack guns that are pretty close to those we use in war on use them on our fellow citizens. So, again, what do we care about? Well, we are considered to be more religious than most other countries (except for the muslim nations). We all know, of course, that religion is kinda against shooting one another but, in America I guess, things are not the same as other places. Its also considered, amongst other industrialized nations to be a more dangerous place than otherwise. Add in that we elected a president who has spent most of his tenure, so far, showing the rest of the world that your word means absolutely nothing and that we also seem to be alright with a leader that actually lies about 85% of the time. (I could show links this stuff but its really easy to find if you don't believe it).

So, our word is crap, we don't care about gun violence, thereby supporting those who need their guns for for violence, we are very religious but, generally speaking, are are also immoral (possibly even amoral. ie insane). I think what I am trying to say is that we have some really serious problems and its unlikely to change. Given our level of fear (high) we are kinda like a sick scared dog. Anybody who knows anything about dogs know not to mess with a sick scared dog. I think our standing in the world is rapidly approaching that of a sick scared dog. I am a bit elderly so, hopefully, I am not going to see where this is leading but, I think, its unlikely to be a good place to be in the end.

It may be of interest to note that anybody who reads this will, pretty much, disagree with most of the above because it just doesn't agree with how they think about themselves. Sorry, the facts are clear, if a majority didn't agree with this stuff something would have been done, a LONG time ago to fix the problems. That has not happened and this stuff is not getting better, its getting worse.

As usual - I wish us all good luck.................

Edited by jgw (10/28/17 06:27 PM)

#303609 - 10/30/17 05:07 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
if a majority didn't agree with this stuff something would have been done, a LONG time ago to fix the problems.

I'm not convinced that a "majority" agrees with this stuff.
Republicans control the Legislative branch but Democrats received more votes overall. Republicans control the Judicial branch due to corrupt partisan machinations by Mitch McConnell.
Donald Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million votes and even that was dependent on assistance by a foriegn government and a divisive Democratic primary.
Gun lobbyists have pumped billions into keeping Republicans bound to counter-intuitive denial of any common sense gun legislation.
You use the term "we" a lot in your missive, jgw, and I disagree wholeheartedly. We would like to see some sensible gun legislation but our government is controlled by a rabid minority and corporate interests.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2