16101 Topics
277430 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#303726 - 11/05/17 10:38 PM Leakers: Manning, Bergdahl and Snowden
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Recently Boye Bergdahl got to skate for abandoning his duty to do wierd. He got captured, endured 5 years of torture, Trump wants him, dead. but he is going to be free.

Bradly (now Chelsea) Manning put a cd into his army computer and copied a pile of 'secrets' which were made public

Snowden was able to fill a large thumb drive into his intelligence company's computer and fill it with a huge amount of top secret stuff which was later made public.

These are not good things to have happened. What is interesting to me is that each one of these people was virtually all that was reported on. Somehow nobody seemed to wonder how any of this could have happened. Manning, for instance, a known, by the army, as an unhappy trans gender kinda guy, was assigned to intelligence and given a computer with a cd burner on it. If it wasn't for Manning doing what he did its quite possible that many more could have done the same thing as it also seems that every computer there had a cd burner. After he was discovered all cd burners were removed from the computers. My thought was always; "what in the hell were these people thinking off when they set it all up!". I have tried to find where anybody in management suffered even a little bit by issuing computers, with cd burners, to even the lowest grunt.

Then there is Bergdahl. Trump says he was a deserter, a turncoat, etc. and should be killed immediately. The fact is that Bergdahl was first in the Coast Guard but they threw him out because of 'mental problems'. So, with a bad discharge he went to the army and the army not only took him but made him a sergeant to boot. When he did a crazy thing the army's first thought was to crucify him for acting crazy. My thought was who in the hell let him into the army in the first place! The guy was a man known to have 'mental problems' (crazy) but they took him anyway and then seemed to be amazed when he id what he did.

Then we come to Snowden. This one is a dandy. He was working for a private intelligence contractor for the government. One of the stipulations, to the contractor, is that they would install software, provided by gov, which monitored and elevated the level of security in that company. However, evidently because that security company was so determined to get intelligence that it never had time to install the agreed security software so Mr. Snowden was able to 'steal' massive amounts of data and is now hiding out in Russia. What makes this one so much more interesting is that, about 6 months after the snowden thing the Obama administration gave that same country a shiny new multi-million dollar intelligence contract.

So, we have three hugely covered messes which should never have happened but did, because of governmental incompetence. In each case nobody, as far as I could find out, was ever even vaguely called on the carpet and, in one case, actually rewarded rather magnificently with a shiny new contract.

This kind of stuff REALLY bothers me! This is why, I believe, so many people do not trust their own government, not only because they may waste but because they are, flat out, incompetent and that incompetence goes, as far as I am concerned, all the way to the top. I just wish, irregardless of political philosophy, that somebody would take the time out to do something about stuff like this and, then, tell us that whoever was responsible, suffered at least a little bit of discomfort (and hopefully more than that).

I think its really important that people have a government that they can believe is functioning properly but these three things, all on their own, has got to have added to public trepidation. We have a government, irregardless of who is in power, that seems to be on its own, doing what it damn well pleases, to whoever, justified or not, and neither responsible nor seems to give a damn.

I watch/read about politics all the time. There are lots of issues and causes (obviously). My problem with the whole thing is that stuff like responsibility, integrity, honesty, competence and caring never seem to enter the conversation. We have bigger fish to fry - like Trump's mouth and national sports.

We have, in other words, serious problem that nobody even recognizes, let alone thinks about.

(probably a bit too much?)

#303760 - 11/07/17 09:11 PM Re: Leakers: Manning, Bergdahl and Snowden [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Yeah, who let Bergdahl enlist in the first place?

But since they did, I think he got a fair sentence in the end. If he had just gone wacko and walked to another military post (like he was trying to do), this is about what he could expect.

But he got captured instead. I don't think anybody has even implied that he tried to get captured. After that, his behavior was fine, exactly how soldiers are supposed to behave when take prisoner. He did not cooperate so they beat him and caged him. He tried to escape several times. What more could he do?

I think Trump's beef with him is just an attempt to justify his "I like guys who don't get captured" remark about McCain, which is maybe the most despicable thing Trump has ever said.

#303826 - 11/09/17 09:39 PM Re: Leakers: Manning, Bergdahl and Snowden [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The army of the United States let Bergdahl in because they were running out of cannon fodder.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2