277430 Posts

Max Online: 282 @ 05/29/08 05:08 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#303463 - 10/15/17 04:01 PM Re: Trump's war on Americans [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd like someone to point to any policy or stance that Trump has taken that helps anyone in the middle class - or those that make, say, less than $100,000 a year. Yes, that is a challenge.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303473 - 10/16/17 02:06 AM Re: Trump's war on Americans [Re: NW Ponderer]
Greger Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Y'know, way back when Bush was president this was an issue that bothered me. Nothing Republicans ever do seems to help anyone but the wealthiest Americans.

#303510 - 10/19/17 07:14 PM Re: Trump's war on Americans [Re: Greger]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don't think there is anyone to accept the challenge... frown

I was depressed for years when Bush was President. I'm incensed by Trump's installation. There has never been as prodigious a liar near the oval office. No competition. Trump averages 5 lies a day. That's no exaggeration. count maintained by the Washington Post's Fact Checker blog was more than 1,300 lies or mistruths from Trump in his first 263 days as president. Some days it's more than a dozen public lies. And he doesn't careven.

The problem, of course, is that lies are dangerous.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303512 - 10/20/17 12:06 AM Re: Trump's war on Americans [Re: NW Ponderer]
matthew Offline

'
I think we are far past George Orwell's 1984.

Even his Big Brother did not vomit forth as many lies per day as we are seeing now.

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans

#303521 - 10/21/17 07:09 AM Re: Trump's war on Americans [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I don't think it is Trump's war on Americans as much as it is Vladimir Putin's. Trump is just a useful idiot, to use an old politburo expression. Putin just picked out the most damaging possible candidate and fiddled the election so he would win. This is old-school KGB tactics, but so is Putin.

I heard a piece on PBS radio today and they were interviewing a young Black man (sorry did not catch the name) and he told about being contacted by email by a black lives matter organization and asked to speak at a rally. He did that sort of thing, so it was not unusual. He did go to that city and speak at the rally, and only later discovered that the sponsoring organization was actually Russian! They have a name like Black Lives, USA to obscure that fact, but really are trying to contribute to chaos and discord in the US. Telling of police murdering Black men makes for a nice RT story, and of course it has more impact if one of the potential murder victims tells it.

I suspect we can trace this modern version of the Cold War back to Newt Gingrich, through the Hastert Rule, and to the mutation into the disloyal opposition of Republicans once Obama was elected. All of these divisive tactics have really damaged out political system to the point now that Republicans are willing to put up with anything just for their "team" even if Trump's favorite ideas fly in the face of normal Republican ideology. I think we are going to discover Putin's or the KGB's hands in all of these.

Remember Trump joked a long time ago that if he ran for President he would run as a Republican, because "those idiots will believe anything Fox News tells them". I think Putin reached the same conclusion and that's why he picked the Republican Party for his dirty tricks.

#303522 - 10/21/17 08:05 AM Re: Trump's war on Americans [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Nice article about Romney, Bush, and McCain as "principled conservatives" calling out Trump:

Fromer Republican Nominees

Quote:
A country of ideals is stronger than a country of blood and soil. Because it’s less prone to internal strife over religion or ethnicity, it’s better able to defend itself. In that spirit, Bush challenged Trump to stop downplaying Russia’s efforts “to feed and exploit our country’s divisions.” But the greater threat lies within. A country built on values can lose them. Trump “cheers assaults on protesters,” Romney warned in his address last year. “He applauds the prospect of twisting the Constitution to limit First Amendment freedom of the press.” The danger of Trump, and a ruling party that follows his path, isn’t that America will lose to China. It’s that we’ll win, but we’ll no longer be America.

#303524 - 10/21/17 02:39 PM Re: Trump's war on Americans [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Trump's Chaos: He Taunts the Public, Holds Programs Hostage and Forces Others to Clean Up His Mess

Quote:
The status quo in Washington under Trump is anything but normal lawmaking. Instead of a process where opposing sides bicker, bargain, accept the result, and move on, Trump has introduced a deliberately chaotic dynamic. Millions of lives are toyed with. Needed programs are held hostage and threatened. And every new day finds Trump saying something that contradicts what he said—or agreed to—only days before.

It’s important to understand what Trump is doing—he's creating crises that would not exist were it not for disruptive tactics that force others to clean up his mess, such as the Senate Health Education Labor and Pensions Committee having to put into legislation remedies to counter Trump’s vindictive abuse of power.

This toxic and dysfunctional dynamic reflects the new normal in Trump’s Washington. Nothing about it bodes well for the legislative process or the ability of government to solve problems lessening the real-life stresses and challenges people face.

Read more at: Alternet.com

The Republicans control two branches of government - and, yet, they can't even legislate or get laws passed.

Republican bungling screws up our government which actually gives their own constituents reason for being anti-government - it then gets the Republican politician re-elected. Voters who are anti-government vote for Republicans.

Being a Republican is actually a self-fulfilling prophecy.

#303525 - 10/21/17 02:42 PM Re: Trump's war on Americans [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

The Trump Doctrine: Obama built it, I broke it, Dems need to conference with me to fix it.

#303552 - 10/24/17 11:25 PM Re: Trump's war on Americans [Re: pdx rick]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
The anomalous (is that a word) happens. Here are two US Republican senators telling it like it is.

Granted they are on the way out as they are not seeking reelection (as they would be crucified by the Banyon hanging tree), but at least they had the balls to tell the truth on their way out. Perhaps others might follow........ But I am not holding my breath.

The lust for power surpasses all morals. It always does.

Lissen and watch

#303557 - 10/25/17 03:21 PM Re: Trump's war on Americans [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We are far past "should" Trump be removed from office to "how should" Trump be removed from office.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2