Google Adsense
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#304091 - 11/24/17 07:35 PM Re: 'fixing' the internet [Re: Ujest Shurly]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: Ujest Shurly
Before the current head of the FCC was even considered for the position, FCC Chairman Ajit Pai was a known anti-Net Neutrality advocate. He will not let a small thing like fake public anti-net neutrality comments get in the way of achieving his goal. He will end net neutrality as soon as he can. Without some outside process, legal or congressional, 2018 will be the year a open an equal internet will die.

More Republican fox in the hen house syndrome...

I'm afraid I don't get where you're coming from.
The "fake" anti net neutrality comments are posing as his natural allies, and I don't quite see the exposure of those comments as possible fakes as being any kind of obstacle in today's post-truth/post-fact environment.
Republicans will categorically dismiss such charges as baseless and they will finish their work, that of not only doing away with net neutrality but with nearly all regulations whatsoever for ISP's.

The problem is not just the death of net neutrality, it's the lack of any structure to protect users from the predatory nature of a near duopoly-style comm infrastructure. There really are only TWO major conglomerates that form the bulk of our data backbone at this point.
There's more than two but if the two largest sneeze, everyone gets a cold.

#304099 - 11/25/17 12:54 AM Re: 'fixing' the internet [Re: jgw]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Can't someone bring a lawsuit to stop this rule from going into effect? Hmm

#304100 - 11/25/17 01:54 AM Re: 'fixing' the internet [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Sure, and maybe we'll all be DEAD by the time there's a final ruling.
I much prefer setting up internet favelas everywhere.
A single business class gigabit pipe can serve a fairly good sized neighborhood.

Just like the best solution for the Trump tax code is for everyone to become a corporation, the best solution to Ajit Pai's deregulation of the net is for everyone to become an ISP.
At first they'll try to crack down but again, it's all in the numbers.
If forty million people start doing this, not only will they be unable to enforce anything, the big telcos will be apoplectic.
Final step is to nationalize the internet...that's the only thing these weasels will understand.

#304102 - 11/25/17 03:48 AM Re: 'fixing' the internet [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
If the big ISPs start to do too obnoxious stuff, it could mean the resurgence of smaller ISPs (who would draw customers by NOT doing that stuff). These could be collectives but much more likely just small businessmen. All they have to do is get a good connection into a backbone and a carrier agreement with a local telco or cable company to connect to people's homes.

I doubt customers would be willing to go back to dialup, so they have to use the connections people already have in their houses. I guess in dense areas, they could start wiring up their own wifi routers but it still is a problem getting packets back to their backbone connection. Telcos and cable companies have all the local franchises tied up, so you probably can't get your wire on their poles.

Google probably had the answer some time back: Put in underground fiber to each neighborhood and use wifi from that point. Not cheap if you have to dig.

#304103 - 11/25/17 04:20 AM Re: 'fixing' the internet [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

You are basically describing a lot of the points I was getting at, decentralized and more responsive ISP's based on neighborhood needs I'm just taking it the FAVELA route instead, because at this point feck their rules and feck their laws, let them try to enforce and prosecute when ten, twenty or even forty million users start flocking to the favelas.

If you know how the favelas operate outside the authority of the official cities in Brazil, then you understand what I am getting at. There will ALWAYS be a way to get business class high speed pipe put wherever it is needed. Lower overhead thanks to community involvement and nonprofit status, and running it like an ad hoc public service.

Will there be bumps and bruises? You bet there will be, just as there is with life in a favela, but you're outside the authority of Trump and the big telcos and the only limitation is the committment people are willing to put into it.

#304118 - 11/26/17 12:27 AM Re: 'fixing' the internet [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

I think the Trump administration has a plan to fix the internet. They're going to put Mick Mulvaney in charge of it. Then the internet will be permanently fecked, just like everything else he touches. Oh, you did't mean "fixed" like your dog is "fixed"? ... oh well.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2