Angela Merkel moves left as German politics realign

Quote:
The rise of the far-right populist AfD in Germany has effectively shifted the political center in the opposite direction. The result is that the chancellor is now looking to parties on the left for potential allies.

---You'll notice that the Green Party has begun to express cautious willingness to work WITH Merkel, or has at least refused to rule it out entirely, which is
a glaring contradiction to the behavior of U.S. Greens, who actively sabotaged the Democratic candidate in the last election, and even ventured into territory "occupied" by the current occupant of the White House.
The Greens are not natural allies of Merkel's party to be sure, but in the face of a rising fascist element, the AfD (Alternativ fur Deutschland) they might see the logical choice as being far better than allowing AfD to garner enough political capital to erect a "Fourth Reich" in Germany, something we appear to be in a race to do here in the United States, thanks to our own "Alt-Right".
This is how coalition politics works. We do not have such a system in this country, and a move to coalition parliamentary structures instead of the established two-party system is perhaps a generational endeavor, but we do have the opportunity for liberals of all walks in life to bond together in common cause against what is now a clear and present danger to the fabric of democracy itself.
I can assure you, in no uncertain terms, that if Merkel's efforts fail, and Germany shifts toward nationalistic fascism, the consequences will indeed be global, and felt very keenly here in the USA.
Those consequences will directly affect the lives of EVERY American for the foreseeable future.
The consequences are those bordered by collective sanity and insanity.

----Leon Russell - "Magic Mirror"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-H1iQ5Y6Eg