Google Adsense
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#303980 - 11/17/17 03:34 AM Re: Al Franken 2020 [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
You know, Rick. On most public forums you can get somebody banned for life it they make such a libelous personal attack.

Its' a Disqus comment section site - banning means nothing - the banned are back with a new account within 3 minutes. Easy, peasy. Hmm

#303982 - 11/17/17 06:05 AM Re: Al Franken 2020 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The bloated orange dotard weighs in on Al Franken. crazy

#303983 - 11/17/17 07:15 AM Re: Al Franken 2020 [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
the banned are back with a new account within 3 minutes.

Sometimes they are, sometimes they are not. Sites ban people by IP number as well as account. If he has a fixed IP number it is very difficult to impossible to get a new one.

At the least it does involve some shame and hassle.

#303985 - 11/17/17 12:42 PM Re: Al Franken 2020 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There's a Firefox add-on called Anonymizer that changes your IP address. You could be in Rows-of-Corn, IA, and have a French IP address.

#303986 - 11/17/17 02:51 PM Re: Al Franken 2020 [Re: pdx rick]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
Hmmmm. Wonder how Roger Stone knew it was "Franken's turn in the barrel."

Machinations?

#303987 - 11/17/17 03:36 PM Re: Al Franken 2020 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
It's all going to come out in the wash shortly, and if it's genuine I'll have to eat my words and join the chorus demanding his resignation.
But his exit will not trigger an equivalent ousting of Republican lawmakers who are guilty. In fact, it may bolster them to the point where being accused of harassing women will become one of their "selling points" because I do not put it past the Republican Party to be able to mold opinion to that level of absurdity.
My point being that while it will indeed cleanse the liberal ranks of any ill gotten gains, it won't bring any promised "they should all go" style relief. Franken will be gone, others on the liberal side will also be forced out in his wake, but Trump, Moore et al will not only STAY but be reinforced.

I call that a pyrrhic victory.

----Leon Russell - "Magic Mirror"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-H1iQ5Y6Eg

#303988 - 11/17/17 04:23 PM Re: Al Franken 2020 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
A Coordinated Hitjob Against Dems is Underway, and Al Franken Won't be the Last

----Leon Russell - "Magic Mirror"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-H1iQ5Y6Eg

#303989 - 11/17/17 05:18 PM Re: Al Franken 2020 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bill Clinton.

It's all his fault.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303990 - 11/17/17 05:41 PM Re: Al Franken 2020 [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The advent of the Franken story has caused me to delve more deeply into my feelings and consider how I've thought about the topic over the years.

Bill Clinton was a dirty old man, but, at the time, I did not consider him to be a sexual predator. With the exception of one accuser, whose story was difficult to believe and was mercilessly promoted by agents who were dirtier than he was, I didn't exactly give him a pass, but I underappreciated the gravity of the situation.

Al Franken's transgression pales by comparison, but is not insignificant. Roy Moore's situation is far, far worse, and is still capable of rational response. Franken is contrite, admitted (at least in part) the inappropriateness of his actions, and has officially accepted being judged by his peers. Roy Moore is just an ass, and is a serial predator who is irredeemable. So too, is Donald Trump.

But Bill... Bill is probably just as bad. At the time, I didn't think he should be impeached, but I did (if I recall correctly) think he should resign. In light of subsequent events, however, I believe I was wrong.

Is it possible to differentiate offenses and punishments? I still believe so. In the absence of additional information, I think Al Franken should be censured, but not expelled. If, indeed, it's a single incidence and he has reformed his behavior,I believe in second chances. He has been a foremost advocate for women's issues and can be an example.

Most of the others deserve public condemnation and severe punishment. It breaks my heart to see icons I have revered being brought down (Spacey and C.K.), but it is the price that must be paid for this kind of behavior. What's appropriate for Ailes, O'Reilly and Weinstein, has to be appropriate for people I've admired.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#303992 - 11/17/17 07:14 PM Re: Al Franken 2020 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I just wonder when its going to end or, where its going to end. Franken has apologized, denied nothing, apologized again and, then, again. His staff, previous and current has come out and say he is not behaving poorly and they have no experience he has in the past so, it seems this is a one off. There may be one other instance but there is no indication it was, or is, an ongoing problem.

He has broken no law and it was a long time ago. On top of all of that, unlike the offenders on the right, he has not (again) denied, and he has apologized. Its pretty obvious that there are powers that have decided that any guy who has acted poorly needs to be completely and utterly destroyed. I fear none of this is going to end all that well.

Its really time to to, at least, practice a bit of forgiveness in instances where the miscreant has admitted doing wrong and has believably apologized and the victim(s) have accepted said apology(s)

On the bright side the talk is now about "culture change". This is a really good thing as it has been a culture thing amongst the more 'manly' of the male persuasion and it looks as if that is actually changing.

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2