by Golem
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
A time when politics were not all about greed
by jgw
Yesterday at 08:01 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by Jeffery J. Haas
Yesterday at 07:42 PM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by Greger
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
The United States v Donald Trump
by rporter314
Yesterday at 12:54 PM
How the octopus got its smarts
by Ujest Shurly
Yesterday at 02:32 AM
Our modern Sinclair Lewis?
by jgw
09/22/18 08:52 PM
Returning rationality to public policy
by NW Ponderer
09/20/18 04:03 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
09/20/18 12:58 AM
Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre
by Golem
09/18/18 06:57 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/18 10:21 PM
Justice is coming
by jgw
09/17/18 09:37 PM
Flor-i-duh's Governor's Race
by Greger
09/17/18 06:19 PM
‘Unprecedented’: Natural gas expert says ‘over-pressurization’ may be to blame
by NW Ponderer
09/17/18 03:02 PM
George Conway rips Trump over tweet about Obama's '57 states' gaffe
by pdx rick
09/17/18 04:37 AM
Obama's Friday Speech
by pondering_it_all
09/14/18 06:51 AM
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record
by Greger
09/14/18 03:01 AM
Mike Rowe on Nike / Kaepernick and 9/11 hero Tom Burnett
by Greger
09/12/18 02:17 AM
The nuclear option
by Greger
09/12/18 01:22 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16385 Topics
281991 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#304684 - 12/28/17 04:06 AM So-whatism
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My wife sometimes brings me things she wants to start a thread on, but she doesn't come on to join the discussion directly. This morning she expressed her concern about a growing tendency, and tendentiousness, of partisans - and others, expressing "so-whatism". This is akin to other discussions we've had, but is, in some ways more specific. Her concern is specific to the corrosive effect of excusing particular behaviors by partisans of a particular side - not just Republicans.

I think that as a community, we here at the Rant express some pretty strong values. But, in the age of Trump and Roy Moore particularly, there is a growing tendency to acknowledge behavior that is "contrary to expressed values" - and then dismiss it, since it comes from "our side." That was somewhat true of Bill Clinton's peccadilloes, and is especially true in the current environment. We've all acknowledged it. But she was looking at the long term effects of that tendency. If we get in the habit of excusing behavior, haven't we just set a new standard. In the Army I often told officers and enlisted Soldiers that every time they walked by something they saw as "wrong" - they just set a new standard. Acknowledgement and enforcement of standards is what makes every organization unique. It is what establishes a "organizational culture."

Trump's "New Normal" is anything but, and yet nearly half the electorate has explicitly excused it because they get what they want out of it: a shiny new Tax Cut, a judicial appointment, an ideologically-aligned cabinet appointment. Earlier I started a thread about the "worst case scenario." I railed about the abysmally poor selections for cabinet and judicial positions, and the willingness of the Senate to approve them anyway. This is an offshoot of that point. The larger question, I think, is what does that make us all? Have we not now demonstrated that, and are we now just dickering over the "price"?

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#304688 - 12/28/17 08:40 AM Re: So-whatism [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
So what do we do about it? It's not like we should start throwing Molotov cocktails into Congressmen's offices, though I think that would about the only thing that would get their attention. I think the only thing a law-abiding person can do is to donate heavily to Democratic congressional candidates and work for the Party to get out the vote. Issa won last election by just 1621 votes and Duncan Hunter may be indicted for personal use of campaign funds. Both of these seats could be flipped.

How about a Million Man March on Washington that confronts Republican Congressmen who refuse to do their duty?

#304694 - 12/29/17 02:07 AM Re: So-whatism [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Online   sick

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Your wife sounds a bit like my wife, except the only reason my wife doesn't jump in is because her typing is so abysmal, and she hasn't invested the time to get good at using Dragon, Naturally Speaking yet.

But, both you and I should HUG our wives because, at least for me, MY wife has undergone a radical change in the last four years. She went from "don't bother me with politics, I have enough on my plate" to "WTF is happening, what do we do about this, what is this about?" to
"Talk to me about these issues, you're always on those forums, what do you talk about?"

In other words, Karen is FULLY AWAKE NOW, and she's PISSED, which is healthy.
Pissed she might be, but she is channeling it the right way, and it's motivating her.
I expect she will start using Dragon Naturally Speaking pretty soon, because she has been asking A LOT of questions about these forums I belong to.

Can't say she will definitely join here, but maybe somewhere.
She's reaching critical mass, and it's a good thing.

#304703 - 12/29/17 05:23 AM Re: So-whatism [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

My wife is fully aware and surfs all her own websites several hours per day. But she is adamant about anonymity: Won't go on facebook, doesn't ever want her photo posted, won't post anywhere, won't even take a DNA test to check out her ancestry!

She's convinced it's best to go unnoticed until you are safely dead, but she says she is going to protests if Mueller gets fired.

#304704 - 12/29/17 05:36 AM Re: So-whatism [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Online   sick

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Karen doesn't post much except a few one-liners now and then on Facebook, but she READS EVERYTHING, and it makes for a lot of interesting follow-up convos.
She also occasionally looks over my shoulder if there is an interesting thread here, because I sometimes try to get friends interested by sharing the threads once in a while.

Early on she got alienated by the poor content quality at places like Topix, which are frequently a haven for trolls, which is why she's never really joined any forums.
She likes the fact that this place is more like a close knit family of friends.

#304737 - 12/31/17 05:01 AM Re: So-whatism [Re: NW Ponderer]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
I don't have a wife.

But if I did, and if she asked, I'd tell her that we all are merely human and prone to doing stupid things, particularly the men among us, because we are all guilty of something..

You can't eliminate everybody who's ever made a few mistakes in their lives. Even that Roy Moore character...he hit on some young girls when he was in his 30s. Near as I can tell he straightened up his act and there haven't been any other complaints in the last 30 some years.

Politics is a sleazy business. Not unlike the auto sales industry in some respects. Not just anybody can sell cars, not just anybody can be a politician. If you go searching for the perfect candidate you'll be doomed like Diogenes never to find an honest man.

This digital age has made it easier than ever before to dig up dirt on people. Pretty much everything you've ever said or done has been recorded or witnessed by someone and it's all out there on the internet somewhere.

I'm not defending the dirtbags, I'm just saying most people have been dirtbags sometime in their lives.

#304739 - 12/31/17 05:07 AM Re: So-whatism [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Wives...? What are those? coffee , smile

#304743 - 12/31/17 12:47 PM Re: So-whatism [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Quote:
Near as I can tell he straightened up his act

Not really. He met his future wife when she was 16 and then just kept his eye on her and finally married her at 24. She was 14 years his junior so in a way he just got tired of chasing 16 year olds and waited for "the one" to ripen!

And Rick: We're all rooting for you. You'll have a spouse someday. Why should us straight guys have to suffer alone?

#304744 - 12/31/17 02:20 PM Re: So-whatism [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
And Rick: We're all rooting for you. You'll have a spouse someday. Why should us straight guys have to suffer alone?

Why suffer alone, indeed! smile

#304745 - 12/31/17 04:09 PM Re: So-whatism [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
He met his future wife when she was 16 and then just kept his eye on her and finally married her at 24. She was 14 years his junior so in a way he just got tired of chasing 16 year olds and waited for "the one" to ripen!

That's pretty much the definition of "straightening up his act".
Some never change their ways...Anthony Weiner comes to mind. There are a lot of things that bother me more about Roy Moore than his preference for younger women so I was pretty happy when those allegations destroyed his chances of becoming Senator Moore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Jeffery J. Haas), 36 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2