by jgw
10/09/18 09:26 PM
Trump’s ‘New’ Can-Mex Trade Deal Has All Kinds Of Improvements? Thanks, Obama
by jgw
10/09/18 05:35 PM
The End of the Independent Judiciary
by pdx rick
10/07/18 02:55 PM
Tiny Hawaiian Gecko Accidentally Calls 'a Bazillion' People from Hospital Phone,
by Greger
10/07/18 01:09 AM
That Bombshell Report on Trump's Taxes May Spark an Investigation by New York
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/05/18 05:03 AM
A time when politics were not all about greed
by jgw
10/04/18 07:28 PM
George Will: Abolish the death penalty
by Greger
10/03/18 12:28 AM
if the Dems take over
by Greger
10/01/18 09:55 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/30/18 08:15 PM
Answer (Fredric Brown, 1954)
by jgw
09/28/18 06:24 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by NW Ponderer
09/28/18 11:24 AM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by Greger
09/26/18 05:11 PM
Our modern Sinclair Lewis?
by pondering_it_all
09/26/18 07:10 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16398 Topics
282310 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#304686 - 12/28/17 05:51 AM Puerto Rican voters
NW Ponderer Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Even before the impact of Hurricane Maria was fully felt, there were more Americans of Puerto Rican descent in the United States than in the territory of Puerto Rico itself (4.8 million vs. 3.4 million).
Quote:
Although the 2010 Census counted the number of Puerto Ricans living in the United States at 4.6 million, estimates in 2012 show the Puerto Rican population to be over 5 million.[10][11]

Despite newer migration trends, New York City continues to be home by a significant margin to the largest demographic and cultural center for Puerto Rican Americans on the Mainland United States, with Philadelphia having the second-largest community. The portmanteau "Nuyorican" refers to Puerto Ricans and their descendants in the New York City metropolitan area. A large portion of the Puerto Rican population in the United States resides in the Northeastern United States and Florida, but there are also significant Puerto Rican populations in the Chicago metropolitan area and the South Atlantic States, from Maryland to Georgia, and other states like Ohio, Texas, and California.
Wikipedia, emphasis added.

It was this reality that inspired this: Puerto Rico governor vows midterm revenge for tax bill, Politico. While living on the island itself, Puerto Rican voters cannot directly vote in federal elections - a fact that Donald Trump made clear he was fully aware of after the disaster: Why doesn't Donald Trump care about Puerto Ricans? Because they can't vote for him - The Independent. That disdain for Puerto Rico was made manifest in the Tax law that just passed: The new tax plan treats companies on the island the same as those operating outside the U.S. That, in turn, inspired Governor Rosselló to pledge to fight the GOP around the United States.
Quote:
So far, he figures they can sway congressional district votes in 14 states, including Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, South Carolina and Texas. He pointed to the influence of Florida’s 2.7 million Cuban-Americans, a powerful and well-organized constituency.

I think he has a point, and the organizational know-how to do something about it. “We are twice the size. If we can get organized, we can certainly start swaying decisions our way and having at least some political leverage,” he said. “We will evaluate those who gave the good fight for the people of Puerto Rico and those that didn’t.”

Edited by NW Ponderer (12/31/17 05:11 AM)
Edit Reason: New Forum

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#304687 - 12/28/17 08:21 AM Re: 2018 Elections [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Like I posted earlier, NOT making Puerto Rico livable post-hurricane is political suicide for Republicans: If boricuas have to move to the mainland, Florida is the state most like Puerto Rico AND they can vote there. What happens when Florida is a Blue State in the next election?

Most Puerto Ricans are Democrats and if Republicans screw them over they are especially likely to vote Democratic.

#304691 - 12/28/17 04:39 PM Re: 2018 Elections [Re: NW Ponderer]
Carpal Tunnel

The treatment of Puerto Rico should be a rallying cry for 2018. These are US citizens, not "foreign Nationals". They are victims of the disdain Republicans have for the less well off. They should be beaten around the head and shoulders with it for the next 10 months. E.g.: Democrats care about YOU, not fat cats and corporate raiders. Then produce a10-point plan to get us going in the right direction. Americans first. Turn it on its head.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#304693 - 12/29/17 12:20 AM Re: 2018 Elections [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Online   content
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
So should Republicans take up any bill which would provide real help for PR, expect commensurate cuts to entitlement programs.

They had to xfer the wealth to businesses and the wealthy first ("You just got a lot richer")

#304695 - 12/29/17 02:31 AM Re: 2018 Elections [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
I think that this should be a new Forum, not just a thread...

I agree.

Also, can you make the Trump Administration Forum show-up in the Current Topics column? Hmm

#304696 - 12/29/17 02:55 AM Re: 2018 Elections [Re: pdx rick]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pdx rick
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
I think that this should be a new Forum, not just a thread...

I agree.

Also, can you make the Trump Administration Forum show-up in the Current Topics column? Hmm

Rick, I've tried and tried and tried.
I flat out don't know how to do it.
I thought I did but whatever I've tried doesn't work.

I'm afraid to try making the 2018 Elections its own thread because I worry that it too will not show up in Current Topics.
We need someone who knows this software inside/out.
I thought I did but I guess I am not as good as I thought I was.

#304700 - 12/29/17 03:31 AM Re: 2018 Elections [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Referred to the Moderator Forum, I joined the PHP Forums help desk site.
Maybe I can learn how to twiddle the dials better and fix the problems.

#304708 - 12/29/17 05:40 PM Re: 2018 Elections [Re: NW Ponderer]
Carpal Tunnel

I think Jared Kushner is going to be the next big fall in the Mueller investigation. It's going to be about money laundering. That's a 2018 prediction.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2