Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#304853 - 01/04/18 05:09 PM The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Orange County, California, USA

#304854 - 01/04/18 05:10 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Thomas S. Monson, Mormon church president, dead at 90

CBS/AP
January 3, 2018

Quote:
Thomas S. Monson, the president of the Mormon church -- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints -- died late Tuesday at the age of 90, the church announced...

A church bishop at the age of 22, the Salt Lake City native became the youngest church apostle ever in 1963 at the age of 36. He served as a counselor for three church presidents before assuming the role of the top leader of the church in February 2008.

Monson's job is expected to go to next longest-tenured member of the church's governing Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, Russell M. Nelson, per church protocol...

Full article

The expected successor, Russell M. Nelson, is 93 years old.

#304928 - 01/06/18 10:58 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Jerry Van Dyke, long time TV star, died on Friday in Arkansas from unknown causes. He and his wife were involved in a car accident in 2015 that affected his health. He was 86.

Jerry Van Dyke Dies

#304929 - 01/07/18 01:01 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
That must have been a really bad car accident because the Van Dyke brothers were known for how much health and vitality they projected, even at an advanced age.
Dick Van Dyke is STILL confounding doctors as a song and dance man at AGE NINETY PLUS.

#304932 - 01/07/18 06:01 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

John Young, 'most experienced' U.S. astronaut, dies at 87 -Reuters.

I grew up during the height of the 'space race', and Young was a part of almost all of it. At each step of that exciting journey, I can remember his name being mentioned. "He flew into space twice during NASA’s Gemini program in the mid-1960s, twice on the Apollo lunar missions and twice on space shuttles in the 1980s. He was the only person to fly on all three types of programs."

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#305182 - 01/19/18 05:14 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Stansfield Turner, who led major CIA reforms, dies

Quote:
Stansfield A. Turner, who served as CIA director under President Jimmy Carter and oversaw reforms at the agency after the Senate uncovered CIA surveillance aimed at American citizens, has died. He was 94...

A Rhodes scholar and 33-year Navy veteran, Turner commanded NATO's forces in southern Europe from 1975 to 1977 before being chosen to direct the Central Intelligence Agency...

More

Wikipedia

#305511 - 02/06/18 06:45 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

John Mahoney, Frasier's irritable old dad, passed away at age 77.
Mahoney also appeared as a womanizing professor in Moonstruck.

John Mahoney

#305553 - 02/10/18 12:33 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Reginald Cathey, who most recently played the owner of Frank Underwood's favorite BBQ joint in "House of Cards", passed away at age 59 from lung cancer.

Variety

#305827 - 03/02/18 10:44 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Top Spanish conductor Jesus Lopez Cobos dies

Quote:
Top Spanish conductor Jesus Lopez Cobos, who wielded the baton at a clutch of top ensembles including the Spanish National Orchestra and the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra (CSO), has died of cancer aged 78, his entourage said Friday in Madrid.

More

Wikipedia

#305841 - 03/04/18 04:53 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

David Ogden Stiers, fussy 'M*A*S*H' doc and beloved clock from Disney's 'Beast,' dies at 75

Quote:
David Ogden Stiers, best known for his role as the arrogant Army surgeon Maj. Charles Emerson Winchester III on “M*A*S*H,” died Saturday. He was 75.

His agent tweeted that he died of bladder cancer at his home in Newport, Ore., according to Variety.

For his work on the sitcom set in the Korean War, Stiers was twice Emmy-nominated for outstanding supporting actor in a comedy or variety or music series, in 1981 and 1982.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

#305842 - 03/04/18 04:58 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Sir Roger Bannister, first athlete to break four-minute mile, dies aged 88

Quote:
Sir Roger Bannister, the first athlete to break the four-minute mile, has died. He was 88.
Sir Roger Bannister obituary
Read more

A statement released on behalf of his family said he had died in his sleep “surrounded by his family, who were as loved by him as he was loved by them. He banked his treasure in the hearts of his friends.”

After Bannister broke the mile record, running three minutes, 59.4 seconds at the Iffley Road sports ground in Oxford on 6 May 1954, he collapsed into a pack of men, his body feeling “like an exploding flashbulb”. Then came the words that revived him quicker than any pick-me-up. “Result of event eight: one mile. First, RG Bannister of Exeter and Merton colleges, in a time which, subject to ratification, is a new track record, British record, European record, Commonwealth record and world record three minutes and …” The rest of the sentence was drowned by cheers.

More

Wikipedia

#305975 - 03/14/18 04:06 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

It's like the Great Library at Alexandria burning down all over again.

Stephen Hawking, modern cosmology's brightest star, dies aged 76

The Guardian UK

#305976 - 03/14/18 05:18 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
It's like the Great Library at Alexandria burning down all over again.

Stephen Hawking, modern cosmology's brightest star, dies aged 76

The Guardian UK

RIP Professor Hawking. Bow

It was kinda neat that only last week Professor Hawking was asked his thoughts about what existed before the Big Bang, and Professor Hawking said: Nothing

smile

#306260 - 04/05/18 10:46 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

WWE Hall of Famer ‘Luscious’ Johnny Valiant dies after being struck by pickup truck

Quote:
“Luscious” Johnny Valiant, a wrestling star of the 1970s and ’80s and a Hall of Famer, died Wednesday of injuries he suffered when he was struck by a pickup truck as he crossed a busy street in Ross Township, Pa.

The 71-year-old, whose real name was Thomas M. Sullivan, was pronounced dead at Allegheny General Hospital on Pittsburgh’s North Side, WWE announced Wednesday night. The accident occurred at about 5:30 a.m., Ross Detective Brian Kohlhepp told Triblive.com.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

#306261 - 04/06/18 04:18 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
His one last takedown. And damn it was a good one!

#306792 - 05/20/18 07:25 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Patricia Morison, Star of the Original ‘Kiss Me, Kate,’ Dies at 103

Quote:
Patricia Morison, the glamorous star who originated the role of the shrewish actress diva in the delightful 1948 Cole Porter musical Kiss Me, Kate, has died. She was 103.

Morison, who also appeared on stage opposite Yul Brynner in The King and I in such films as The Song of Bernadette (1943), died Sunday at her home in Los Angeles of natural causes.

With a mane of exuberant, dark hair that reached her hips, Morison often was cast as a villainess or “the other woman” on the big screen.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

#306823 - 05/23/18 04:58 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

As a heavily hormonal teenage Jew-talian in the 1960's I was ravaged by a double dose of religious, social, cultural and sexual guilt.
Philip Roth's novel "Portnoy's Complaint" taught me that it was okay to laugh at my life lessons, and that I might just even be "normal".
Roth provided enough of that laughter to last a lifetime.
And then I discovered his other books.
I never got to thank you, Mr. Portnoy. (Roth)

Rest in Mirth.

#306824 - 05/24/18 03:52 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
I came from a family of readers. When they got a good paperback, they'd share it with their favorite family members. I was about 17 when my 60-some-year-old aunt read Portnoy's Complaint. I was over at her house one day and she took me into her bedroom and showed me the book. She said, "I'd like to loan it to you, but it really is awful. Funny, but awful ... like, look here at page ..." And she read me the tuna-sandwich-finger-smelling thing. My aunt cracked up and said she didn't want to get in trouble with my dad (her brother). She loaned it to me a couple of months later. I guess I'd grown up enough.

#306825 - 05/24/18 07:49 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Spag-hetti]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Spag-hetti
I came from a family of readers. When they got a good paperback, they'd share it with their favorite family members. I was about 17 when my 60-some-year-old aunt read Portnoy's Complaint. I was over at her house one day and she took me into her bedroom and showed me the book. She said, "I'd like to loan it to you, but it really is awful. Funny, but awful ... like, look here at page ..." And she read me the tuna-sandwich-finger-smelling thing. My aunt cracked up and said she didn't want to get in trouble with my dad (her brother). She loaned it to me a couple of months later. I guess I'd grown up enough.

In other words, you had a very modern thinking aunt!
I think I might have been either fifteen or sixteen when my oldest brother handed it to me.
My mother asked why "he was complaining". I hadn't started the book yet so I had no idea what the meaning of the title was, and my brother had only said, "it's really funny".

A couple of weeks later Mom had a hissy fit over it, seems she'd heard a few things about it, and the beginnings of a row ensued, but I was already nearly finished with it.
Dad tamped down the smoke and anguish with his classic, "just don't upset your mother" line, which really amounted to a wink and a nudge.

#306827 - 05/25/18 06:10 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Like 15 year old boys would never think of masturbation unless they read Complaint.

Back when I was in High School anybody who didn't masturbate was beyond weird. Probably involved with incest or farm animals!

#306829 - 05/25/18 06:24 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
Like 15 year old boys would never think of masturbation unless they read Complaint.

Back when I was in High School anybody who didn't masturbate was beyond weird. Probably involved with incest or farm animals!

You have to give at least equal credit to "The Monkey".

#307155 - 06/28/18 09:54 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
...and that I might just even be "normal"...

Has the verdict come back, yet? laugh

#307156 - 06/28/18 09:54 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Harlan Ellison dead at 84, acclaimed science fiction writer was known for combative style

Quote:
Harlan Ellison, who emerged as a major figure in the New Wave of science fiction writers in the 1960s and became a legend in science fiction and fantasy circles for his award-winning stories and notoriously outspoken and combative persona, died Wednesday night in Los Angeles. He was 84.

Ellison died at home in Sherman Oaks in his sleep, according to Susan Shapiro, his Hollywood agent. His death was unexpected.

More

Wikipedia

#307262 - 07/05/18 07:20 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Ed Schultz, veteran broadcaster and former MSNBC host, dies at 64

Quote:
Ed Schultz, the liberal firebrand and former MSNBC host who most recently anchored a show for a Russian-funded media organization, died on Thursday. He was 64.

More

Wikipedia

#307418 - 07/13/18 09:30 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Roger Perry, Actor on 'Star Trek,' 'The Munsters' and 'The Facts of Life,' Dies at 85

Quote:
Discovered by Lucille Ball, he also appeared in 'The Thing With Two Heads' and was married to actresses Jo Anne Worley and Joyce Bulifant.

Roger Perry, the veteran character actor who guest-starred on a memorable episode of the original Star Trek and portrayed Eastland headmaster Charles Parker on The Facts of Life, has died. He was 85.

Perry died Thursday night at his home in Indian Wells, California, after a battle with prostate cancer, his daughter, Dana Perry McNerney, told The Hollywood Reporter.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

#307477 - 07/16/18 05:03 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Masa Saito passes away after long battle with Parkinson's disease (pro wrestler Mr. Saito)

Quote:
Masanori Saito, a former Olympian as an amateur wrestler and Hall of Famer as a pro, passed away on Saturday after a long battle with Parkinson's disease.

Saito was 76.

Saito had the most successful long-term career of any Japanese native on the American scene, being a championship-level wrestler in multiple territories from 1968 to 1990. While Giant Baba in the 60s, Great Muta, and now Shinsuke Nakamura were as big or bigger stars, Saito spent the majority of his career in the United States as opposed to a brief version, and was always a headliner as a former Olympian who was a top tier in-ring worker, even with limited English speaking ability.

During most of his career he played the stereotypical salt-throwing Japanese heel, a role mostly played by Hawaiians rather than Japanese wrestlers in the 60s.

More

Wikipedia

#307542 - 07/19/18 03:19 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

I just discovered the news that Phil Hoskins' life partner Ron Thomas also passed away on May 3rd.

Quote:
"This is the saddest message I have ever had to post.....

It is with great regret that I have to announce that one of our dearest friends has passed away.

Ron Thomas has lost a painful battle with grief and depression after losing his longtime partner Phil Hoskins last fall.

Anyone who ever crossed paths with Ron fell in love with him immediately. He was one of the happiest and intelligent individuals that I have ever met, and my world was blessed having him as a close friend for over 2 decades.

Out of respect and wishes for the family, no specific details will be released yet, and we hope that you please respect these wishes.

I feel sick, saddened, and angry that such a beautiful soul is gone."

Link to Ron Thomas' Memorial Service

#307555 - 07/19/18 07:25 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

How sad.

#307663 - 07/26/18 04:57 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Patrick Williams, Emmy-Winning TV Composer, Dies at 79

Quote:
Patrick Williams, who was best-known for his Emmy-winning television music but who was also a renowned and Grammy-winning big-band jazz leader and arranger, died Wednesday morning of complications from cancer at St. John’s Hospital in Santa Monica, Calif. He was 79.

Williams was among the most versatile composers of his generation, earning an Oscar nomination (for adapting opera in “Breaking Away,” 1979), four Emmys (for dramatic music including “Lou Grant,” 1980) and two Grammys (for arrangements including his classic jazz album “Threshold,” 1974) during more than 50 years of music-making in New York and Los Angeles.

In the middle of his most prolific period, scoring music for TV including “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” “The Bob Newhart Show” and “The Streets of San Francisco,” he was also nominated for the prestigious Pulitzer Prize in music for his groundbreaking “An American Concerto” (1976) for jazz quartet and symphony orchestra.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

#307691 - 07/27/18 09:24 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Bill Loud, the Father of TV’s ‘An American Family,’ Dies at 97

Quote:
Bill Loud was not the first person to play the role of a father on television. What made him a pioneer was that he was not acting — and that he was often not acting responsibly.

In 1973, when PBS broadcast “An American Family,” Mr. Loud, who died on Thursday in Los Angeles at 97, was the tan and philandering head of an affluent real-life household whose domestic dramas in Santa Barbara, Calif., were captured on camera for 300 hours and edited into 12 hourlong episodes now regarded as the genesis of reality television.

“An American Family” shocked American families. Aired with the imprimatur of public broadcasting, it was portrayed as sociological exploration, not exploitation, and although many people found it irresistible, it was also hard to watch.

More

An American Family

#307817 - 08/07/18 05:27 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Paul Laxalt, Former Nevada Governor, Dies at 96

Quote:
Paul Laxalt, the son of Basque immigrants who rose to political power as a Nevada governor, U.S. senator and close ally to Ronald Reagan, has died. He was 96.

Laxalt died Monday at a health care facility in Virginia, according to the public relations firm The Ferraro Group.

More

Wikipedia

#307884 - 08/13/18 05:00 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart dies (professional wrestler)

Quote:
Monday morning, news broke that former WWF tag team champion Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart has died. He was 63 years old. WWE.com confirmed the news.

"It is with a sad heart, that I share with you the passing of a long time friend and colleague, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart. Your thoughts and prayers for the family are appreciated!" posted Cauliflower Alley Club president Brian Blair -- who often competed in the Killer Bees tag team against Neidhart and Bret "Hitman" Hart as the Hart Foundation.

More

Wikipedia

#307893 - 08/14/18 05:22 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

He was only 63. I wonder just how many pro wrestlers and other athletes traded their elder years for steroid-enhanced brawn when they were younger. It's a shame.

#307932 - 08/16/18 05:19 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Aretha Franklin, the ‘Queen of Soul,’ Dies at 76

Quote:
Aretha Franklin, universally acclaimed as the “Queen of Soul” and one of America’s greatest singers in any style, died on Thursday at her home in Detroit. She was 76.

The cause was advanced pancreatic cancer, her publicist, Gwendolyn Quinn, said.

More

Wikipedia

#307942 - 08/17/18 01:01 AM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

That's a really crappy way to go. If I ever get pancreatic cancer, I want to know the override code for my morphine dispenser.

#307991 - Yesterday at 06:35 PM Re: The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018 [Re: Golem]
Golem Offline
enthusiast

Northern California pro wrestling voice Walt Harris passes away

Quote:
Walt Harris, the voice of the most popular period of pro wrestling in Northern California and best known nationally as the host of the syndicated Roller Derby shows, passed away last night at the age of 97...

Harris was the sole announcer for National All Star Wrestling and Big Time Wrestling in the 1960s that aired on KTVU, Ch. 2 in San Francisco, and KCRA, Ch. 3, in Sacramento, and were syndicated at times in cities like Honolulu, Phoenix, and other West Coast markets. He had already been the Roller Derby announcer on that station for a few years and Roller Derby was all the rage in the Bay Area before Roy Shire started his career as a promoter, drawing sellouts of the biggest matches at the Cow Palace and making Charlie O'Connell perhaps the most popular athlete in the area...

More

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2