280406 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 50 of 58 < 1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 57 58 >
Topic Options
#305598 - 02/17/18 01:26 AM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#305599 - 02/17/18 02:05 AM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is Donald Trump a Traitor? - The Intercept.
Quote:
One year after Trump took office, it is still unclear whether the president of the United States is an agent of a foreign power. Just step back and think about that for a moment.
That this issue can be legitimately discussed is blood chilling.

#305626 - 02/18/18 02:09 AM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
Russians also organized anti-Trump rallies after the election

I believe they did. Because they are not pro-Trump. They are anti-American. Whatever generates the maximum chaos in America is their goal, just like the USSR since the 1950's. They only worked to get Trump elected because they knew he was a massive crook and conman.

In the very long game, they may be right: It looks like Trump will destroy the Republican Party which has traditionally been the most hard-core anti-Russian Party.

#305649 - 02/19/18 07:12 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
It looks like Trump will destroy the Republican Party

From your keyboard to gods ears...

But I'm not getting my hopes up. Conservative thought, in all its forms, has proven to be remarkably resilient. The Bush administration should have done it but even after he started two wars and wrecked the world economy Republicans continued to make gains.
There is some small chance Democrats will gain some seats, possibly even a slim majority, in congress in the coming midterm election. Conservatives will be outraged and will come out in droves to vote in 2020 possibly ushering in a second term for our current president should he decide to run again.

#305653 - 02/19/18 08:37 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: Greger]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Conservatives urge Trump to grant pardons in Russia probe. You read that right.
Quote:
I think he should be pardoning anybody whos been indicted and make it clear that anybody else who gets indicted would be pardoned immediately, said Frederick Fleitz, a former CIA analyst and senior vice president at the conservative Center for Security Policy.
You know what conservatives used to call people like this? Commies, traitors, anti-American...

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#305655 - 02/19/18 08:47 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

That would be a declaration of war: Mass pardons would escalate the conflict. Trump wants to be able to golf or appear in public without people trying assassinate him. Besides, many of these crimes are actually state crimes, too. Presidential pardons can't touch them.

Trump would probably prefer a deal like Nixon's. No prison time if he resigns. That can't happen if he escalates.

#305656 - 02/19/18 10:19 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pdx rick]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
You guys are allowing your fantasies to enter the ballroom before reality has checked in at the cloak room.

Please make a reasonable argument why Spkr Ryan would allow the Judiciary Com to consider charges of impeachment? Continue with the argument explaining why the majority party would vote to impeach "one of their Own"? Then continue to explain how 67 senators would vote to convict.

Now, all of that is after 1) Mr Trump offers blanket pardon's to everyone, or before after or independently 2) SP Mueller presents indictments against everyone.

Consider Republicans are privately saying they expect a tsunami of blue and yet I have not heard a peep about dumping Mr Trump. Not a word about distancing themselves from Mr Trump.

Now don't get me wrong. I am just confused. I thought we lived in America, where certain principles were valued more than life itself. Perhaps I am an 18th century idealist, who still believes our form of government is the closest thing to real freedom the world has seen. I also thought the tyranny of 20th century fascism had long been eradicated on the battlefields of Europe. But to my amazement it is alive and well in America. It saddens me to thinks of all the progress which has been discarded by the arrogance of egocentric populism disguised as patriotism. For all the talk about the resilience of American democracy, I have considered more recently how fragile it has become, balanced precipitously on the tenuous fulcrum of conservative fascism.

We can overcome this assault on our democratic sensibilities by remaining resolute, and dedicate our future to the return of reasonable, discriminating democratic principles.

as the old tar said ... HOLD FAST!!!

#305664 - 02/20/18 07:47 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: rporter314]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: rporter314

Consider Republicans are privately saying they expect a tsunami of blue and yet I have not heard a peep about dumping Mr Trump. Not a word about distancing themselves from Mr Trump.

I'm considering it.
A sufficiently biblical size tsunami of blue happens, and there goes Speaker Ryan...bye bye!
McConnell muzzled, Ryan disposed of, HOLD FAST for sure, hold fast to doing our duty and voting in November as if our lives depended on it, because they just might.

The only thing I worry about, if we indeed manage to sweep both chambers, is whether or not our useless and moribund Pelosi and Schumer have the stomach and the balls to do what is right and just.

Hold fast - FEET TO THE FIRE.

#305670 - 02/20/18 10:38 PM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
Nice slogan, Jeffery. Vote as if your life depends on it because it does.

I just heard on TV that Prezident Drumph is creating a cyber security group of some kind. I imagine, with his penchant for choosing the wrong people for the job, he'll fill it with devout Amish, who will drive their buggies to work.

#305672 - 02/21/18 12:27 AM Re: Trump and Russia [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

He'll probably just get a list of Russian sleepers from Putin.

Page 50 of 58 < 1 2 ... 48 49 50 51 52 ... 57 58 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2