by jgw
09/22/18 09:09 PM
Our modern Sinclair Lewis?
by jgw
09/22/18 08:52 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by Ujest Shurly
09/22/18 06:58 PM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by pondering_it_all
09/22/18 06:58 AM
Returning rationality to public policy
by NW Ponderer
09/20/18 04:03 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
09/20/18 12:58 AM
Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre
by Golem
09/18/18 06:57 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/18 10:21 PM
Justice is coming
by jgw
09/17/18 09:37 PM
Flor-i-duh's Governor's Race
by Greger
09/17/18 06:19 PM
‘Unprecedented’: Natural gas expert says ‘over-pressurization’ may be to blame
by NW Ponderer
09/17/18 03:02 PM
George Conway rips Trump over tweet about Obama's '57 states' gaffe
by pdx rick
09/17/18 04:37 AM
Obama's Friday Speech
by pondering_it_all
09/14/18 06:51 AM
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record
by Greger
09/14/18 03:01 AM
Mike Rowe on Nike / Kaepernick and 9/11 hero Tom Burnett
by Greger
09/12/18 02:17 AM
The nuclear option
by Greger
09/12/18 01:22 AM
President Petty and Ineffective - a danger to the Republic
by chunkstyle
09/11/18 11:54 PM
stare into the lights my pretties
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/11/18 04:15 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16383 Topics
281981 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#305500 - 02/05/18 03:38 PM Susan Sheu and Brian Colker, former NYT subscribers
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Susan Sheu and Brian Colker, former NYT subscribers:

(We wrote this letter prior to the NYT publishing the astonishing article about Stephen Miller or the one praising Trump for not soiling himself at Davos. I cannot overstate how disgusted I am with this organization for its capitulation to the cancer in congress and the executive branch.)

"After nearly 30 years of reading the NYT, we have decided to cancel our subscription due to your paper’s failure to cover the Trump Administration. Your paper has systematically normalized this regime and excused its enablers. You have put more conservatives on the editorial board, run articles allowing white supremacists to broaden their appeal, repeatedly featured profiles of Trump voters while ignoring the revulsion the vast majority of your readers feel. You have never seriously reckoned with this paper’s role in the elevation of the Clinton email issue in the 2016 election and the unfathomable decision to downplay the Russian collusion in October of 2016. We have seen no mea culpas; no recognition of the paper’s dominance by male and white voices; no attempt to set the Trump administration in historical context, which is to say to call a spade a spade. Just this weekend, after another historical day of protest, you choose to run an article about some women’s lack of engagement in the Women’s March. An odd take on over 2 million people marching in protest to say the least.

It would be easy to dismiss our criticism as an intolerance of divergent opinions. In this case, you are correct – we will not tolerate Trump or his enablers, nor will we excuse his unrepentant supporters. Should we start reading the Daily Stormer, or follow David Duke on twitter? Tolerance of virulent racism, xenophobia, and misogyny is not tolerance at all – it is cowardice. With Fox News, at least one knows where they stand. In some ways, your weak criticism of this administration is far more insidious, and will do lasting damaging. By purporting to be a paper of record, your inability to state plain truths – that Trump is almost certainly an illegitimate president, who has already committed a number of impeachable offenses, is an unapologetic liar, racist, and entirely unfit for office. The Republican party has likely committed crimes with him and in support of him, and therefore we are in the unique position of having a criminal enterprise run the federal government.

We have tried to imagine how you would have covered the rise of Hitler and his assumption of dictatorial control in Germany. We can only imagine editorials such as “Why Are So Many Jews Bankers?” and “The case for the Jewish race.” Your paper has been systematically pushing the Overton Window to the right. We are not speaking of the usual liberal-conservative divide – rather, the NYT normalizing of Trump and the Republican congress is actually pushing us to the right on the democratic-authoritarian continuum. The more normal this appears to most Americans, the more likely we elect another Trump. Or worse. Your paper carries enormous influence as a standard-bearer for the ‘reality based community’. We fear you are unwilling or unable to face reality, and are therefore unwittingly excusing the greatest crime and scandal ever perpetuated on the American public. We will not bear witness to this anymore, nor contribute financially to this coverage."

(hat tip to Tim Sassoon for sharing this)

#305501 - 02/05/18 05:38 PM Re: Susan Sheu and Brian Colker, former NYT subscribers [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Oh SNAP!

Edited by Ujest Shurly (02/05/18 05:38 PM)

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#305509 - 02/06/18 12:35 AM Re: Susan Sheu and Brian Colker, former NYT subscribers [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Boy, that'll show them!

#305510 - 02/06/18 01:18 AM Re: Susan Sheu and Brian Colker, former NYT subscribers [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Of course that ONE letter won't "show them".
But what if there's many thousands who feel the same way?
It's not as if newspapers are flush with hoards of new subscribers these days.

I get spammed by the LA Times TWICE a DAY now, every single day, because I cancelled my doorstep subscription and then my online subscription after Michael Ferro's "tronc" conglomerate took over with its notorious policy of union busting and its recently revealed and ongoing scab powered "shadow newsroom operation" that it runs entirely outside the paper itself.

#305526 - 02/07/18 04:53 PM Re: Susan Sheu and Brian Colker, former NYT subscribers [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
itstarted Offline
old hand

Loc: Florida/Illinois
Interesting stuff.
I have been watching the changes in media ownership, and some new trends in bias.

While both of these articles belong in the "opinion" part of the news, they represent pretty good contrast in editorial content.

Along the way, I thought the Alternet article to be the shortest, most succinct consolidation of the state of the U.S. economy that I have seen.

From the NYT

From Alternet

YMMV, but I was fascinated by the contrast. For balance, my time on the TV is spent between Fox News, MSNBC, and CNN... with 5 minutes on OAN for comic relief.

Entertainment for this oldtimer well in to his 9th decade.

In case you missed this... an article about the consolidation of media.

FCC media consolidation

Edited by itstarted (02/07/18 05:30 PM)

#305528 - 02/07/18 05:50 PM Re: Susan Sheu and Brian Colker, former NYT subscribers [Re: itstarted]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
It's good to see you Its! And as always your view of the economy is welcome. It's pretty clear that most of us view the recent stock market crash as nothing but a sideshow since it didn't even get a mention here until now.
Quote:
...the best way to make sense of the drop in the stock market is to think of it as a sideshow to the broader trajectory of the United States and global economy, which for now look perfectly fine.

It doesn't look perfectly fine to me. Too much is wrong with this government. Key positions remain unfilled and those being filled are with unqualified personnel. Policy in general is in tatters; domestic, foriegn, economic, military, all are uncertain. Our allies can't trust us, our enemies hover like carrion birds eagerly awaiting a chance to pluck the juiciest parts from a still warm corpse.
Perhaps the economy will continue to tick along for a while as we wander aimlessly from the New Gilded Age to another Roaring 20s.
Perhaps not.

Quote:
...until a modern version of Glass-Steagall is put into law and the too-big-to-fail-and-now-gambling-like-they-did-in-1929 banks are broken up, these very real and systemic risks will remain in our system like landmines just below the surface waiting for a small trigger to set them off.

There's a small set of hands pulling frantically at the trigger.

#305533 - 02/08/18 01:04 AM Re: Susan Sheu and Brian Colker, former NYT subscribers [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Bow howdy Cousin It, we sure have missed you around here!

#305534 - 02/08/18 01:24 AM Re: Susan Sheu and Brian Colker, former NYT subscribers [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
Bow howdy Cousin It, we sure have missed you around here!

Yup. smile , Bow

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2