by jgw
10/09/18 09:26 PM
Trump’s ‘New’ Can-Mex Trade Deal Has All Kinds Of Improvements? Thanks, Obama
by jgw
10/09/18 05:35 PM
The End of the Independent Judiciary
by pdx rick
10/07/18 02:55 PM
Tiny Hawaiian Gecko Accidentally Calls 'a Bazillion' People from Hospital Phone,
by Greger
10/07/18 01:09 AM
That Bombshell Report on Trump's Taxes May Spark an Investigation by New York
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/05/18 05:03 AM
A time when politics were not all about greed
by jgw
10/04/18 07:28 PM
George Will: Abolish the death penalty
by Greger
10/03/18 12:28 AM
if the Dems take over
by Greger
10/01/18 09:55 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/30/18 08:15 PM
Answer (Fredric Brown, 1954)
by jgw
09/28/18 06:24 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by NW Ponderer
09/28/18 11:24 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16400 Topics
282340 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#305650 - 02/19/18 07:25 PM High Schoolers acting out
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I have been watching, with interest, the High School kids acting out. Its really quite amazing. They are, apparently, sick and tired of watching their generation getting killed by assault weapons by lunatics and are marching. They kinda take the wind out of the minions of the NRA big time. They are not getting on board of the Right/left, Democratic/Republican memes. Instead they want guns to be controlled and the their slaughter to stop. I have watched the liars of the right give voice to their baloney just to have it thrown back on their faces, no arguments, just a general rejection of their crap.

This is a great thing! I don't know how long its gonna last (hopefully long enough to get the job done) but, while it does they deserve support from anybody who is not brain dead. Right now they are going after the checks before buying and getting rid of assault weapons. If they have positive results of expect them to go further. What is also great about this one is that they are going after the NRA straight on, no debates, no arguments, just demands because they are convinced they are right (they are). I actually noticed on CNN this morning that somebody actually mentioned what Australia did which was a BIG step forward (we have consistently ignored anything anybody but Americans had done which worked).

Now, of course, one can only hope they start mentioning drugs and the nation of Portugal that decriminalized ALL drugs almost 20 years ago. I remember, when it happened, that every think tank of the right flooded into that country to report on the disaster and they all came back scratching their heads and admitting that "it actually worked". We are currently undergoing yet another scourge of drugs and have, consistently, ignored this one to the tune of over one trillion dollars! Perhaps somebody might mention that one too? I remember reading an article on Portugal a couple of months ago. The title was "Where have all of Portugal's drug addict gone?". Here are some sites on this one (just google "portugal drug decriminalization"):
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/opinion/sunday/portugal-drug-decriminalization.html
https://news.vice.com/article/ungass-por...-weed-to-heroin
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...m=.f3c36eca4ba2

I think what happened, when it comes to drugs, is that we made our resistance into some kind of very strange industry that continues to this day - inspite of continued failure to the point where our war can't even keep the price of drugs up! (you can currently buy heroin, cut with who knows what, cheaper than prescription pain killers. Our war fixes nothing, cures nobody, fails regularly, and, in spite of that continues.

Its REALLY time that somebody studies exactly, what our government does and just how successfully they do it. WE NEED A NEW HOOVER COMMISSION!!!!!!!!!! (with teeth)

Edited by jgw (02/19/18 07:26 PM)

#305654 - 02/19/18 08:39 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
"We need to cut off pain pill prescriptions."

Then everybody addicted or in chronic pain has to buy heroin cut with fentanyl or worse, carfentanyl, at great risk of OD. The truth is that when people take pain pills, they get an exact repeatable dose. When we force them to switch to alternative street drugs, they die. Most of the deaths in the "opiate crisis" are BECAUSE of government actions, because government always tries to do the easy but stupid thing.

It's harder to treat the people who are not in chronic pain, and leave the people who are to work it out with their doctors. That actually takes some effort and rational thought. Government hates rational thought!

#305661 - 02/20/18 03:32 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
I watched Emma Gonzalez speak at the rally. She was amazing. Tears flowing, she kept her voice steady and made an amazing speech. She answered all the anticipated counter arguments and ripped them to shreds. She cut right to the heart of the problem with her call to vote for nobody who accepts NRA money. That'd do it.

These beautiful, bright high schoolers give me hope. They have a platform and they're going to use it. Bravo!

#305663 - 02/20/18 07:42 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
I mean to say that, if OUR generation supports these kids every step of the way, they may just possibly succeed in destroying the NRA's "brand", and make no mistake about it, the NRA IS a BRAND.
It has value, enormous value.
Every single "ChildKiller 6000" quasi-military semi-auto precision rifle sold is because of the branding efforts by the NRA.

Meanwhile the NRA and the industry will research possible new model names to enhance their cachet and attractiveness to faux-patriot cult members.
Possible suggestions:

Liberal Terminator 2500
Libtarderator
Democrat Destroyer 4000

I'm just saying, know your market. tinfoilhat

#305666 - 02/20/18 08:40 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
Spag-hetti Offline

Yes, the NRA does know its market.

It just reeks that they have so much power. We never elected the NRA or Wayne LaPierre (alias: Wayne the feminine Peter) to any office, but they are somehow in charge of gun laws.

Just like we never elected Grover Norquist to be in charge of taxes.

We didn't elect poor old Kansas's governor, Sam Brownback to be in charge of religion ... but he was, at least, appointed and (barely) approved.

But I digress.

I also agree with you, Jeffrey, about our generation's needing to support these wonderful kids.

I loved the way Emma Gonzales slapped down the idea that this was R vs D. Whoever takes NRA money needs to be gone.

She called BS on them. And two buses of students and family members are already headed to Florida's capital. These kids are moving quickly because now IS the time to talk about it. They want politicians to look them in the eyes and tell them exactly what they are going to do about the gun problem. And what politician will be too cowardly to meet with these grieving students and families? I guess we'll find out. And what politician will try to blow smoke? These kids will call BS on them.

My friends have agreed to see if we can find a fairly close walk-out we can support on March 14. And of course, Roy Blunt is going to get an ear full a couple of times a week.

I hope they get lots of support from all quarters.

Did you see the video of the guy cutting his AR-15 in half? As he said, that's one less.

Edited by Spag-hetti (02/22/18 04:14 PM)
Edit Reason: Wrong danged name

#305667 - 02/20/18 09:33 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: Spag-hetti]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida

When our children act like leaders and our leaders act like children, you know that change is coming.(stolen from Facebook)

#305668 - 02/20/18 09:45 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

First, the prescription thing. The doctors prescribed the pills because the drug companies claimed they were not addictive. I suspect they know better now and the drug companies have a pile of pawsuits over their initial claim. The belief that all the prescription folks moved on to heroin because their prescriptions ran out is not exactly right. The simple fact is that the heroin was actually cheaper than the prescription stuff and had more of a kick (and then it kills).

What bothers me about the drug thing is that it makes no sense. We have had this stuff around for years and this has never happened before to this extent. If you go back to the 20's, when opiates were the cure all for everything you could think of, the actual rate of drug dependency was, basically, pretty low against what we have today. This, in spite of the fact that medicine was actually a new science and was not that great. Children were actually weaned on opiates yet most were never addicted, I just find it strange that, now, with better medicine, an easier time by far over the 20's, people are so depressed that they need feel good to go day to day. There is, I think, a serious problem in America. Our politicians spend most of their time, for instance, trying to scare us to death about every little thing. The political right spends all their time not only scaring us with this and that but also, in that mix, are constantly telling everybody how bad OUR government is, how wasteful, incompetent, and offensive our government is. This has been going on for a very long time but, now, apparently they seem to have recruited the Russians to help them with that one.

Anyway, if you read the reports on the Purtugal thing, you will find that they have actually, pretty much, solved most of their societal problems to do with drugs. There are also a couple of other facts that folks should understand. If, for instance, one is a heroin they can live a full and useful life by maintaining IF they have a source of the drug not produced by criminals. I know of one woman, in Seattle, from a rich family, who lived a very long and productive life and was a leader of Seattle Society (she had a personal private doctor who took care of her). The critical word in all of this is 'maintain'. We got into banning drugs sideways. Marijuana, for instance, was made illegal, by congress at the behest of the timber industry who didn't want hemp growers supplying fiber to midwest paper factories. Al the rest of it was made illegal, over time, at the behest of the religious folks who disapproved of it all. Up until 1960, for instance, is was quite possible to goto any number of drug selling businesses to buy all sorts of now illegal drugs. There is also how Ecstasy got illegal. It was pretty simple, gov was told it was bad by the moralists and so they banned it. This, in spite of the simple fact that there was not, and has not, been a single study to prove the danger of that drug with any degree of accuracy (same with marijuana the largest study of which, during the Nixon administration, determined there was little or no risk with it). What Portugal proved, beyond a doubt, is that when you decriminalize and provide real help to those in trouble, due to drugs, most societal problems just evaporate.

Then there has also been the costs of our war on drugs. So far, apparently, we have spent well over 1 TRILLION dollars on a war that simply bleeds money for no apparent gain although it has, due to other laws congress passed (I love the one where drug warriors get to seize all sorts of stuff; money, houses, cars, etc and NEVER account for a dime of said stuff seized - this one has, amongst other things, been responsible for a LOT of law enforcement going to jail). All in all the war on drugs is killing people by moving drug production to criminals, its an incredible waste of time, and simply does not work.

I have also had family members who are now dead due, as far as I am concerned, to our war on drugs.

#305669 - 02/20/18 09:49 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

The kids are going to have a big deal on tv. The Lying Jackass has now decided to answer question from, I betcha, a seriously vetted group of high school kids, on the same day as the thing put on by the kids now speaking out.

#305673 - 02/21/18 12:44 AM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
a seriously vetted group of high school kids

I bet that doesn't work out too well. What would they be allowed to ask?

"Why are you so great, Mister President?"

#305674 - 02/21/18 02:00 AM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: pondering_it_all]
Spag-hetti Offline

Quote:
PIA asked:
What would they be allowed to ask?

What kind of GPA do I need to get a scholarship at Trump University?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2