by chunkstyle
05/10/18 03:23 AM
Democratic Purity
by pdx rick
05/09/18 04:42 AM
Playin' Doctor
by pondering_it_all
05/08/18 02:35 AM
What is it with John Kerry Negotiating with the Enemy?
by Jeffery J. Haas
05/07/18 09:13 PM
University of Florida Apologizes After Black Graduates Were Manhandled at Commen
by Golem
05/07/18 07:41 PM
Cavuto: Is Trump giving the media very real ammunition?
by pondering_it_all
05/06/18 07:59 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16270 Topics
280209 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#305879 - 03/07/18 08:51 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: pondering_it_all]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Here's How to Prevent The Next School Shooting - npr. It won't happen, though, because it relies on expert advice...
Quote:
About 200 universities, national education and mental health groups, school districts, and more than 2,300 individual experts have signed on to support this document in the weeks since.
CALL FOR ACTION TO PREVENT GUN VIOLENCE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

The formula is straightforward:
Quote:
A public health approach to protecting children as well as adults from gun violence involves three levels of prevention: (1) universal approaches promoting safety and well-being for everyone; (2) practices for reducing risk and promoting protective factors for persons experiencing difficulties; and (3) interventions for individuals where violence is present or appears imminent.

Quote:
What sets this call to action apart from other policy proposals is not gun control, however, but the research-based approach to violence prevention and response. This is a long haul, say the experts, not a quick fix.
[npr] Thus, it has no chance in hell, nor do our children.

#305958 - 03/13/18 02:09 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: NW Ponderer]
Spag-hetti Online   content

Loc: Middle, USA
Well, our illustrious president has put his finger on the problem. The solution is simple: just increase suspensions and expulsions of minority students. Betsy (The Wetsy behind the ears) DeVos will lead a commission to repeal Obama's "Rethink School Discipline" policies.

This only makes sense in Trump's demented brain. Cruz, the Parkland shooter was white. He had been suspended and expelled. There has never been a black school shooter. But lax discipline might allow a minority who might be a potential shooter slip through the cracks.

See? No need to tackle the NRA. Not that he's afraid of the NRA. They just made so much sense during that private dinner, whatever they said.

Edited by Spag-hetti (03/13/18 02:10 PM)
Edit Reason: it wuz wrote wrong

#305965 - 03/13/18 07:45 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Of course suspending and expelling students makes them go away and never come back with a gun to settle grievances. Hmmm: Maybe we should rethink this policy and try to keep troubled kids engaged with the school and feeling like they have been treated fairly?

Maybe social engineering is more useful than open warfare. Of course this is not as satisfying as smiting them, in the Old Testament sense.

#306111 - 03/24/18 05:37 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Today they are having their marches for lives. CNN will show nothing else today. This is really GREAT! Youth, historically, 18-26 do not vote. Now, however, that is, hopefully, changing (and the politicians should be quaking in their boots). The march is being put on by high school kids (I watched one of the organizers. She said that they had no idea just how complicated it would all be). Anyway, they (the kids) are marching world wide! I have no idea who, or how that is, but its true. I have also listened to the speakers (all of which, in the Washington dc march, are under 21) and they are actually telling it like it is (unlike the Dems who seem to be above it all). This is the first voting demographic that is actually calling out the elected class. I laud and admire this.

We are told that 85% of the voters favor gun controls. 85%!!! In spite of this the bought and paid for, self serving, do anything to keep the job elected class are, in large part ignoring them that gave them their jobs and getting away with it! Perhaps, now, things will change?

#306114 - 03/24/18 07:01 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
There is one way to make it change: VOTE

#306116 - 03/24/18 08:58 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
That is, exactly, what I hope 18-26 year olds will start doing! (then, if the poor will also vote, we can start to fix things)

I keep preaching the vote thing. Even if one cannot make a choice a blank ballot too has ballot as it sends a message, particularly if enough are voted. (blank puts a party on notice that their candidate choices are lousy)

#306118 - 03/24/18 09:56 PM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have watched much of the news coverage of the March. I'm blown away by the maturity of these kids. Two moments stand out: Emma Gonzalez standing silent for long minutes to dramatize the 6:20 it took to snuff out 17 lives; and Samantha Fuentes, a WOUNDED Parkland survivor, continuing her speech with aplomb after vomiting on stage in front of the world.

I said to my wife, "I can't see how this will not have an impact." Her response: "watch a little bit of FOX news and see how they report it..."

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#306119 - 03/25/18 01:10 AM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]

I'm guessing that the NRA will start lobbying their bought-and-paid-for congressmen to raise the voting age to ... oh, I don't know ... 45?

#306120 - 03/25/18 01:52 AM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: jgw]

When our hearts were broken by the Columbine shooting and we wanted to do something to ensure that this could never happen again, the NRA and their Rethuglican stooges screamed, "This is a tragedy! How dare you politicize it! We can't bear talking about it right now. We'll do something about it later, after we all calm down." And I guess a lot of people thought Democrats were crass for politicizing it, and those poor, sensitive Republicans truly understood their heartbreak. But no results, no changes that would stop this from happening again, with 13 killed and over 20 wounded.

We got the same after Sandy Hook. Same damned lines. Same lack of results. Those poor first graders were too young to lead the charge, and apparently heartbroken parents of murdered babies couldn't move Americans to action.

The Parkland teens have grown up in Florida, a state whose gun laws (like stand your ground) were written by the NRA. With open carry, if a Florida cop sees a guy with an assault rifle walking into a 7-11, he's not even allowed to be curious (if the guy's white). These kids are seriously PISSED. And who can blame them? The adults responsible for their safety have sold their souls to the NRA. These kids are not going to quit and they are inspiring people to get up off their couches and be a big a pain in the conjoined NRA/Republican buttocks until they achieve their goal.

These kids are saying what about 85% of Americans believe. They have a really good chance of success ... if we all help them.

#306121 - 03/25/18 02:52 AM Re: High Schoolers acting out [Re: Spag-hetti]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Spag-hetti
I'm guessing that the NRA will start lobbying their bought-and-paid-for congressmen to raise the voting age to ... oh, I don't know ... 45?

How Did NRA TV Cover the March for Our Lives? - Slate. Typical NRA - Baldfaced lies: NRA says violent radicals are behind the March For Our Lives - no, really, the lobbyists for Merchants of Death claim the victims are violent.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Spag-hetti), 33 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2