by jgw
09/22/18 09:09 PM
Our modern Sinclair Lewis?
by jgw
09/22/18 08:52 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by Ujest Shurly
09/22/18 06:58 PM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by pondering_it_all
09/22/18 06:58 AM
Returning rationality to public policy
by NW Ponderer
09/20/18 04:03 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
09/20/18 12:58 AM
Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre
by Golem
09/18/18 06:57 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/18 10:21 PM
Justice is coming
by jgw
09/17/18 09:37 PM
Flor-i-duh's Governor's Race
by Greger
09/17/18 06:19 PM
‘Unprecedented’: Natural gas expert says ‘over-pressurization’ may be to blame
by NW Ponderer
09/17/18 03:02 PM
George Conway rips Trump over tweet about Obama's '57 states' gaffe
by pdx rick
09/17/18 04:37 AM
Obama's Friday Speech
by pondering_it_all
09/14/18 06:51 AM
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record
by Greger
09/14/18 03:01 AM
Mike Rowe on Nike / Kaepernick and 9/11 hero Tom Burnett
by Greger
09/12/18 02:17 AM
The nuclear option
by Greger
09/12/18 01:22 AM
President Petty and Ineffective - a danger to the Republic
by chunkstyle
09/11/18 11:54 PM
stare into the lights my pretties
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/11/18 04:15 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16383 Topics
281981 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#305875 - 03/07/18 06:36 PM Tariffs
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The Lying Jackass seems set on raising tariffs on steel and aluminum. The American aluminum organization came out against it but that will not detour the Lying Jackass. This has been tried before, by Bush, Reagan and even Carter. In each case it took less than a year before it was all rolled back. I have no doubt this one will be too (if its actually done). The problem is that `10's of thousands of jobs will be lost before its all over (yep, its true, it takes less than a year before the disaster becomes known). What is going to be interesting on this one is that I am not sure that the Lying Jackass has the ability to roll back one of his mainstay issues. If he does not, however, the Republican crash will occur faster than normal which also means a clean sweep for the Dems (unless that screw it up).

The truly amazing thing is that the Republicans have a track record on this sort of stuff (financial crashes, raising the debt, etc). The problem is that the Dems, in their infinite wisdom and civilized behavior, tend to never mention these sorts of things. All that being said, perhaps they won't have to when thousands start losing their jobs?

#305885 - 03/08/18 04:52 AM Re: Tariffs [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

According to Trump, "Smoot and Hawley were wimps, and the Depression of the 1930s wasn't "Great" - I can create the Greatest Depression the world has ever known!"

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#305898 - 03/09/18 12:57 AM Re: Tariffs [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
The silly thing is that Canada supplies us with 63% of our imported aluminum, so if they are exempt we just buy more from them at a slightly higher price than their other customers. It won't increase aluminum prices by 10%. I doubt it will increase aluminum prices by 1%! Aluminum cost is all about electricity, not labor. Canada has a lot of cheap hydroelectric power, so they make aluminum. Trump's tariffs won't lower us electricity prices, so it won't increase US production.

#305903 - 03/09/18 12:09 PM Re: Tariffs [Re: jgw]
Kaine Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania
I found it strange that in Pennsylvania, our republican senator Toomey, who usually toes the republican line, is totally against the tariff, while our democratic senator Casey, who is a useless idiot, totally supports it.

#305904 - 03/09/18 12:56 PM Re: Tariffs [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
inre JGW:: has Mr Trump ever apologized or admitted he was wrong on anything? His narcissism prevents him from ever doing that. He is the greatest human who ever lived, period. (did you notice that was a "." following a "period". greatest greatest tremendous human)

of course Congress could write law which repeals his tariff fiat, which would absolve him of having to admit his error, and then claim Congress was working against the American people. win-win for him .... precisely as his narcissism requires.

#305906 - 03/09/18 06:04 PM Re: Tariffs [Re: rporter314]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
As I recall, when President Obama saved the auto industry, he inserted the requirement that those we rescued had to use American steel. Didn't that help the steel industry? Without tariffs?

#305907 - 03/09/18 07:29 PM Re: Tariffs [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I really doesn't make any difference what the Lying Jackass does after he makes the tariffs a reality. Everytime its been tried before (bush, reagan, clinton) it got reversed before a year was out. Given the inability of the lying jackass to make a mistake it will probably take a bit longer as congress will have to do that.

in 2017 we produced approximately 81.5 million metric tons and imported 36 million metric tons and we are the 7th largest manufacturer of steel. You can look all this stuff - basically the Lying Jackass lied about just about everything to do with this stuff. We also actually export steel.

Perhaps he will have success although all other tries have failed miserably. If history is right then approximately 200,000 will probably lose their jobs before it all gets rolled back. OH, he also lied about the trade surplus thing:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/is-the-u-s-global-trade-deficit-really-800-billion/ (he simply cannot help himself)

The probable silver lining is that all them Republicans that are supporting this thing (well, until it all goes south) get to deal with the lost jobs and hit our economy is going to take. I fully expected yet another Republican economy failure before the end of the current administration but not this quickly.

Of course we shouldn't forget the NATFA thing. If he stops that one Texas alone will go blue quick as 200,000 will lose their jobs over that one (and that's just the tip of the iceburg).

All in all, this is a genuine boone for the left, and the next elections are theirs to lose if they screw it all up (and all the warring parties of the left understand that, when voting, there is only two directions - left and right, and they gotta grown up and understand that one. The whiners did a great job voting in Trump and now it is really time they get it and do the right thing.

Edited by jgw (03/09/18 07:49 PM)

#305912 - 03/10/18 04:59 AM Re: Tariffs [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
They were talking to a guy in Spartanburg, South Carolina who is the head of the local trade organization. He says BMW has a HUGE plant there and exports cars to all over the world. This tariff will affect them because of the high steel content and throw a lot of people out of work. BMW buys stuff from several local companies, so it would affect them as well.

Maybe they can get a tariff exemption for all the cars they export? Though I have not heard anything about that idea.

Quote:
in 2017 we produced approximately 81.5 million metric tons and imported 36 million metric tons and we are the 7th largest manufacturer of steel. You can look all this stuff - basically the Lying Jackass lied about just about everything to do with this stuff. We also actually export steel.

That doesn't sound like we need to protect the steel industry for national security reasons. If we bought 90% of the steel we use, I could see it. Once again, Trump will probably wind up in court and get told he can't do something because he used a phony reason for justifying it. Courts just seem to require honesty, for some reason, and that keeps stopping Trump's follies.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2