Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#306229 - 04/03/18 07:18 PM Re: lethal force [Re: Ujest Shurly]
Ma_Republican Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Ujest Shurly
Originally Posted By: Ma_Republican
The issue is that these people are afraid. The police, who live with violence and are trained to stem violence, are now in shoot first mode. You can blame the police, or the NRA, or the conservative movement all you want. The real issue is that the police do not feel safe enough to allow each situation to play out.

If I were a cop today, I would find a new job, because right now there is no protection for being a cop. People are OK with shooting at you, the public are OK in blaming you and there are enough of them screwing up that the public is within their rights to be critical of them.

No doubt about it, it sucks to be a cop in 2018.

Tim

I agree with you MA, police live with violence every day of their lives and much of that violence is directed at them intentionally or un-intentionally. Because of this fact, police are given an extraordinary power - the power to decided when they must take a life.

Even the military does not have that power, they receive far more training and practice in the use of force than police and yet the military is not permitted, in fact forbidden unless special permission is given, to carry or use a weapon in public in a non-war scenario.

So, do you not agree that because of the extraordinary power given, that it is incumbent upon police to insure that its use is a use of last resort and that the subject is in fact a threat?

Of course I agree, but everybody is only human. People walk into any situation with the police nervous, now the police themselves are nervous. Should they take a step back and assess every situation? My guess, is that they all want to do just that, but circumstances being what they are makes them shoot first and worry about the consequences after they have figured out that they screwed up.

There is nothing that I can say that excuses the murder of an innocent person in their back yard by a cop. There is also nothing I can say that will reduce the amount of stress that a cop is under today. My guess is that there will be a real shortage of police officers in the cities soon. Pensions are going to go broke due to retirements and crime is going to skyrocket. There are no easy answers, maybe it is time to devise a new way to police? This way has run into human nature and human nature is kicking its ass.

Tim

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

#306231 - 04/03/18 07:43 PM Re: lethal force [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Actually, it's human nature to steal and commit crimes when all you see is a system designed to keep you down and out. People with good jobs need to rest and sleep at night, not go out and rob. People with good jobs do not hang around in gangs, or deal drugs, or pimp, or whore themselves. All sorts of social ills are solved by making more opportunities for people.

I'm not saying you can eliminate all crime (because some folks are just sociopaths), but we could do a lot better.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2