6248 Members
58 Forums
16339 Topics
281335 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#306298 - 04/09/18 08:13 PM F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Oh snap!! Bow , ROTFMOL

Linky Dink

Some orange orangutan is going to go berserk and Tweet up a storm(y). smile

#306299 - 04/09/18 08:17 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like President's whose lawyer's office wasn't raided by the FBI. coffee

#306301 - 04/09/18 08:52 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
ThumbsUp ROTFMOL Bow violin

YES!

Edited by Ujest Shurly (04/09/18 08:54 PM)

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#306303 - 04/09/18 10:07 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: Ujest Shurly]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BOOM!
This is truly a bombshell. This wasn't a subpoena, this was a warrant. It was unannounced. It wasn't by Mueller. This is THE TRUMP ORGANIZATION attorney.

Since it's a warrant they had to prove probable cause that a crime had occurred. They had to suspect that he wouldn't cooperate. This is what happened to Manafort.

AND this is an attorney's office. That requires all kinds of extra safeguards. I can explain if anyone wants to know. I want to know what crimes they suspect.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#306304 - 04/09/18 11:23 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

FBI raids Donald Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen's office, leading Trump to attack Robert Mueller USA Today.
Quote:
Trump angrily seized on the development Monday, calling the action "a disgraceful situation."

"It's total witch hunt," the president said at the White House. "It's an attack on our country in the true sense ... what we all stand for."

According to WaPo, BANK FRAUD. Which means Trump may be next.

#306305 - 04/09/18 11:30 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
How long before SP Mueller is taking a vacation?

#306306 - 04/09/18 11:36 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: NW Ponderer]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
BOOM!

What's the bag limit for a witch hunt?

#306307 - 04/10/18 12:00 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mueller is down the line. Expect missles into Syria first. The funny thing is, it's his own appointees: Rosenstein, and US Attorney for Southern District of New York, Geoffrey S. Berman, that he picked. And, whichever Republican judge signed off on the warrant.

#306308 - 04/10/18 12:13 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
The thing is, as soon as your lawyer tries to cover up your crime, he's no longer your lawyer and lawyer-client confidentiality goes away. In fact, he's a co-conspirator.

And there WAS a crime: In New York, adultery is still on the books as a crime. Nobody would be prosecuted for it, but it still makes Cohen a criminal rather than a lawyer.

If the FBI finds any sort of document in Cohen's possession that indicates Trump knew about the payoff, then Trump is up for Obstruction of Justice charges. Likewise, if they find any evidence that Trump did have sex with Stormy, Trump is also up for Obstruction of Justice charges for lying and saying he didn't.

The affair was slightly illegal, but the payoff was certainly because it was an attempt to conceal the original crime. Lying about either one was yet another crime, because Mueller was investigating it.

Trump supporters admit Trump lies all the time, but dismiss it as one of his charming personality traits. But lying publicly about something the FBI is investigating is a crime, even if you are not under oath.

#306309 - 04/10/18 12:35 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just saw Trump's extended diatribe. He's in an outright panic. Cohen is facing bank fraud charges, and this had been building for weeks. Tax records, phone and other communications were seized. It will be sequestered as it is searched and analyzed to screen out attorney-client communications. BUT, to the extent it was a conspiracy, those communications are not privileged.

I believe Mueller now has Trump tax records, too. No wonder he is panicked.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#306313 - 04/10/18 04:31 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone made note of how disheveled Trump has appeared lately? I think he's losing it.

#306315 - 04/10/18 11:05 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: NW Ponderer]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Has anyone made note of how disheveled Trump has appeared lately? I think he's losing it.

Indeed. Donnie Dumbass is not handling this very well - claiming the country is under attack. crazy

All Republicans who orchestrated this warrant too, two of whom Trump put into place, as you pointed out on page. smile

When Trump was asked by reporters about the $130K that Cohen paid Stormy with on AF1 last week, Trump said: You'll have to ask Michael Cohen.

Mueller said: I'll do that.

laugh

#306319 - 04/10/18 03:19 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: logtroll]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Originally Posted By: logtroll
BOOM!

What's the bag limit for a witch hunt?

A Coven, 13. How many does the Witch Hunter now have? Six: George Papadopoulos, Michael Flynn, Paul Manafort, Rick Gates, Richard Pinedo, Alex van der Zwaan, plus nuerious familiars. Only 7 more to go

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#306321 - 04/10/18 05:44 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: Ujest Shurly]
Greger Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Mueller will be fired any day now. Word from the top will be...he was hired to investigate the possibility of collusion with Russia, he found none. All else is a witch hunt and Trump will pardon anyone convicted.

Then we can think about how THAT scandal will bring Trump down.

Then there will be another one, and another one.

#306322 - 04/10/18 06:37 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: Greger]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: Greger
Mueller will be fired any day now.

I read something this morning that I understood to be this: Trump can't fire Mueller directly - he has to fire Rosenstein and replace him with a stooge who will fire Mueller. But now that Rosenstein authorized the warrant to raid Cohen's office over a Trump related crime, Trump can't fire Rosenstein.

Maybe our resident shyster could offer a guess supported by education?

#306323 - 04/10/18 06:41 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: logtroll]
Jeffery J. Haas Online   sick

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California

I read something this morning that I understood to be this: Trump can't fire Mueller directly - he has to fire Rosenstein and replace him with a stooge who will fire Mueller. But now that Rosenstein authorized the warrant to raid Cohen's office over a Trump related crime, Trump can't fire Rosenstein.

Oh he still CAN fire Rosenstein, but if he did so AT THIS JUNCTURE
(see: authorized warrant to raid Cohen) it would be the equivalent of this:

#306324 - 04/10/18 07:17 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: logtroll]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I am not a shyster (I'm scrupulous), but I know how they operate....

You are correct, that Trump cannot fire Mueller directly. "the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 (Title 5 U.S. Code ßß 101-505) created a statutory basis for the appointment of special prosecutors, and specifically restricted the authority of the president or attorney general, for example, to fire the independent counsel once appointed." (Wikipedia) The current regulations (internal to the Department of Justice) are contained in the Code of Federal Regulations, 28 CFR Part 600.

The answer to your specific question is ß 600.7 Conduct and accountability, subsection(d), which provides:
Quote:
The Special Counsel may be disciplined or removed from office only by the personal action of the Attorney General. The Attorney General may remove a Special Counsel for misconduct, dereliction of duty, incapacity, conflict of interest, or for other good cause, including violation of Departmental policies. The Attorney General shall inform the Special Counsel in writing of the specific reason for his or her removal.

Of particular importance to the current topic is ß 600.4:
Quote:
ß 600.4 Jurisdiction.

(a)Original jurisdiction. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall be established by the Attorney General. The Special Counsel will be provided with a specific factual statement of the matter to be investigated. The jurisdiction of a Special Counsel shall also include the authority to investigate and prosecute federal crimes committed in the course of, and with intent to interfere with, the Special Counsel's investigation, such as perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence, and intimidation of witnesses; and to conduct appeals arising out of the matter being investigated and/or prosecuted.

(b)Additional jurisdiction. If in the course of his or her investigation the Special Counsel concludes that additional jurisdiction beyond that specified in his or her original jurisdiction is necessary in order to fully investigate and resolve the matters assigned, or to investigate new matters that come to light in the course of his or her investigation, he or she shall consult with the Attorney General, who will determine whether to include the additional matters within the Special Counsel's jurisdiction or assign them elsewhere.

That is precisely what happened: Mueller came across a criminal activity that wasn't covered in his mandate, went to the Deputy A.G. (Rosenstein) who "assign[ed] them elsewhere" - the Southern District of New York.

#306330 - 04/10/18 09:17 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]

Pooh-Bah

Someone I know had this to say about the secondary information found in the raid and I'd like to know if they're full of it:

Quote:
"There are two sets of FBI agents that look at the info they get from his office. The first set only looks to make sure whatever is passed on to the second is info within the Scope of the Warrant. The second set then looks at just the info that is within the scope of the warrant as passed to them from the first group. Any information not within the scope of the warrant could never be used in court as it would as they say on TV be the fruit of the forbidden tree."

#306333 - 04/10/18 09:37 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: NW Ponderer]
Greger Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Trump cannot fire Mueller directly.

The White House says...(via Huffpo)

Quote:
President Donald Trump ďcertainly believes he has the powerĒ to fire special counsel Robert Mueller, a spokeswoman for the White House said Tuesday.

ďWeíve been advised that the president certainly has the power to make that decision,Ē White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters during a press briefing.

Mueller is head of a federal probe into Russiaís interference in the 2016 presidential election. Many legal experts have said Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein is the only person who can directly fire Mueller. But Sanders said the White House had been advised otherwise.

ďI know a number of individuals in the legal community, and including at the Department of Justice, said he has the power to do so,Ē Sanders told reporters.

#306335 - 04/10/18 10:11 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]

Pooh-Bah

Step 1 would be to follow the money, and if he follows the money and finds money laundering and tax evasion in the $millions like he did with Manafort and Gates, what is he supposed to do?

I say Mueller is "doing exactly what he is supposed to do".

#306336 - 04/10/18 10:18 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]

Pooh-Bah

Step 2:
See Page 17!!
Rosenstein specifically OKs the investigation into what became money laundering and tax evasion charges.

Mueller - RESPONSE TO MOTION (PDF)

#306337 - 04/10/18 10:35 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: Greger]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
Quote:
All else is a witch hunt and Trump will pardon anyone convicted.

Can he also pardon himself? Seriously folks! I am not totally sold on the idea of Trumps campaign colluding with Russia over the election. But then again I have not yet seen any of Muellerís findings. Nor has anyone outside of Muellerís team. Mueller runs a very tight leak free ship by golly.

However, what I am absolutely convinced of is that the Trump Organization has totally been in bed with Russian Oligarchs. They have lent him billions over the years to float his ships as no Western Banks will touch him due to his endless string of bankruptcies that left them holding their empty bags. Which also begs the question how much does Trump really owe to Ruskies? And what leverage do they then hold over him?

And also- he is no where near as rich as he claims to be by being so leveraged to the hilt. Those are the two main reasons he never will disclose his tax returns.

Donald Trump. The modern day Wizard of Oz.

#306338 - 04/10/18 10:44 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

The expression is: "Fruit of the poisonous tree." And yes, that's exactly why Mueller handed the service of the warrant off to a different office. Those guys look at everything, then only pass the pertinent documents on to Mueller's team. Anything not in the scope of the warrant is returned to Cohen, even if it is strong evidence of a different crime. That way, the "out of scope" info does not poison the pertinent evidence.

But I think Rosenstein gave Mueller a pretty broad scope. If there is evidence of money laundering. tax fraud, or bank fraud it is pertinent. And I would assume Trump is just the kind of guy to be guilty of all three, multiple times. It fits his "business plan".

#306340 - 04/10/18 11:44 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]

Pooh-Bah

So the scuttlebutt on the street is that Trump will try to axe Sessions during the Friday Chaos Dump and then move to bring in a stooge who will fire Rosenstein and then make a move to axe Mueller.

#306341 - 04/10/18 11:52 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I reread what I posted earlier and detected an error, or at least an ambiguity. The 1978 special prosecutor law was superceded by the independent counsel law (remember Ken Starr?). When THAT law lapsed, it was not replaced. So... the current "special prosecutor" process is only a rule (as I outlined earlier). The ambiguity that remains is whether the President can go outside of the rule to fire Mueller. An argument CAN be made that he is not bound by the rule. Were he to do that, however, Congress can pass a new law.

Here's where we get into really tricky constitutional questions: can Congress limit the President's authority to fire ANYONE in the executive branch? What might such limitations be?

#306344 - 04/11/18 12:50 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mueller will be fired any day now. Word from the top will be...he was hired to investigate the possibility of collusion with Russia, he found none. All else is a witch hunt and Trump will pardon anyone convicted.

Then we can think about how THAT scandal will bring Trump down.

Then there will be another one, and another one.

Mueller was very careful to distance himself from the Cohen search warrant. This is an entirely different investigation. It's also a NY State investigation and you know what the means: Dumbass can't pardon Cohen. laugh

#306345 - 04/11/18 12:54 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: Ken Condon]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Ken Condon
I am not totally sold on the idea of Trumps campaign colluding with Russia over the election.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Hmm

It's not as if it's a series of hilarious Russian coincidences, that Idiot actually pulled out a win! coffee

EVERY, SINGLE, MAJOR PLAYER had some form of contact with the Russians. EVERY ONE!! Hmm

(except Dumbass. smile )

#306346 - 04/11/18 12:57 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas
So the scuttlebutt on the street is that Trump will try to axe Sessions during the Friday Chaos Dump and then move to bring in a stooge who will fire Rosenstein and then make a move to axe Mueller.

Rumorhazzit that Pruitt will replace the KKKeebler Elf. Those are some mighty small shoes to fill. LOL

#306347 - 04/11/18 01:16 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: pdx rick
Originally Posted By: Jeffery J. Haas

Rumorhazzit that Pruitt will replace the KKKeebler Elf. Those are some mighty small shoes to fill. LOL

Or not.
Pruitt's in trouble.

It has to be someone who can't upstage Trump.
Someone that the alt-Right AND the evil-gelicals truly love.
Someone who is very religious.

Hmmmm, is there "one true patriot" out there?

LOL ROTFMOL ROTFMOL LOL

#306351 - 04/11/18 05:19 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I can easily see Trump moving Pruitt over to fire Mueller. It would take an incredibly corrupt individual to undertake the task of firing Mueller to cover up Trump's malfeasance, but if there is one thing we know about Scott Pruitt is that he is an incredibly corrupt individual. Moreover, he has already been confirmed to an agency post by the Senate, and we know that Trump likes to move the pieces around because he doesn't know if he'll get another nominee confirmed.

#306356 - 04/11/18 05:39 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is the best headline I've seen on the subject: Michael Cohen Is in Trouble. We Just Don't Know Exactly Why Yet - TIME.

#306362 - 04/12/18 03:48 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Sure we do: Basically, the guy's a crook. He's "fixer" for a crime family. When you have to do illegal things to "take a bullet" for The Boss, you don't stay a lawyer for very long.

Lawyers are actually Officers of the Court and have higher ethical and stricter legal requirements than a normal citizen. I'm sure one of the basic courses in every law school is "How Not To Go To Prison".

#306391 - 04/14/18 07:55 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: pdx rick]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Apparently Cohen's toast. The feds justified their search warrants by saying they executed covert warrants to read his emails. They found both criminality and obstruction evidence there, which justified the physical warrants because they thought he would destroy evidence if they just subpoenaed it.

There's stuff he can be charged with by a New York state Grand Jury, so a pardon does nothing. He's been Trump's fixer for a very long time, so this is Trump's ticket to prison when he's out of office. This is a huge windfall for the investigation.

#306392 - 04/14/18 10:52 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
we know that Trump likes to move the pieces around because he doesn't know if he'll get another nominee confirmed
I am under the impression confirmation appointments must be confirmed even if the love is lateral. see Dir Pompeo ... perhaps Mr Trump has run out of confirmable lateral choices.

BTW I do not think Dir Pompeo is a good choice for SoS. He brings ultra right wing thinking to an office which really requires progressive thinking. see Bolton and current attack on Syria

#306394 - 04/14/18 12:41 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: rporter314]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: rporter
perhaps Mr Trump has run out of confirmable lateral choices.
I agree. It doesn't appear that Pompeo will even make it out of committee. Mulvaney's tenure at the CFPB also appears to be about to be curtailed by the Court. Federal judges indicate they could remove Mulvaney as acting CFPB chief
- LA Times (subscription).

#306429 - 04/16/18 04:09 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For those who might be interested in what the law actually is regarding searching attorneys' offices, from the US ATTORNEY MANUAL: 9-13.420 - Searches of Premises of Subject Attorneys

Jus' Sayin'

#306437 - 04/17/18 04:58 AM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

OMG today's Cohen hearing was out of a French farce!

#306438 - 04/17/18 03:41 PM Re: F.B.I. Raids Office of Trumpís Longtime Lawyer Michael Cohen [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A Brief History of Michael Cohen's Criminal Ties - Rolling Stone. The term "Russian organized crime figure" gets bandied about so often it becomes a cliche, or maybe redundant? Russian and "organized crime" are synonymous?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2