by Ujest Shurly
09/10/18 09:55 PM
Round Table for August, 2018
by pdx rick
09/10/18 02:00 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018
by Greger
09/06/18 10:36 PM
Do you plan to read 'Fear: Trump in the White House' by Bob Woodward?
by rporter314
09/06/18 07:18 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16380 Topics
281948 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#305787 - 02/27/18 02:30 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: Spag-hetti]
rporter314 Online   content
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
States have well-regulated militias, typically called the National Guard or something.

For modern use of militia, read Militia Act of 1903 ... for use of militia prior to 1903, read about the Whiskey Rebellion ... for time at war, read about use of militias by north and south during CW, especially the home guard in the south

how and why J Scalia ignored the history of militias still eludes me

#305792 - 02/27/18 09:32 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
So there's your solution: Draft every owner of an AR-15 into the National Guard. They will quickly determine soldiers who can't follow orders and drum them out with a dishonorable discharge that puts them on the "No Guns Allowed" list!

On a more serious note: What do all these mass shooters have in common? I think it may be that they are sociopaths, and sociopathy is not that hard to detect once you start looking for it. We know a lot of the outward signs. But then you have to take the next step, which is to put sociopaths on the "No Guns Allowed" list, even if they have committed no crimes yet. As a people, we tend to resist the idea of "thought crimes" though we certainly do it with pedophiles who have never done anything illegal.

On the other hand, simply being put on the gun list is not prosecution for a crime, and it's nothing like getting put on the sex offender registry which has happened to some pedos who just sought treatment for their ideation. As far as I can tell, it would only affect people who wanted to go into an armed occupation but maybe that's for the best? Do we really want sociopathic cops?

#305793 - 02/27/18 11:33 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: jgw]
jgw Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
My suspicion is that what they have in common is that they were all under the care of a mental professional and off their meds. I am not sure about the latest but I do know that he was under care which usually means they had medication. I had a solution to this one but the AMA said it wouldn't work because they would have another problem after they had the cure (true story)

#305794 - 02/27/18 11:45 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: jgw]
jgw Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The 'militia' thing has, over the years, come to mean just about any human being. The "well regulated" however, as far as I can see, is taken seriously by the supremes. The problem is politics and not the supremes and the politicians, if they really want, can regulate the hell out of guns. Instead they have chosen to buy into the "they are going to take all our guns away" which is a canard (a damned lie). Nobody is trying to take anybody's gun away from them unless they shouldn't have a gun (too young, too old, too crazy, etc).

In other words the gun manufacturers have managed to change the subject from regulation to "take away all the guns". The interesting thing is that, as far as I know, NOBODY has ever even suggested that but the people who are doing all the whining about it (you know, the brave gun owners of America, particularly the ignorant ones). We are now told that only 30% of our population are gun owners and only 20% of that 30% are the ones really concerned. I am not sure of the math on that one but, I think, that means that 20% of 30% is 1.5 (30/20=1.5) My mind is wrong today but, still, it seems to me that there is a very loud, and very small, minority involved in all of this.

I have never understood how very small minorities are get all this power. In the congress there are something like 400 members in the house which also has the "freedom caucus" which is made up of 29 people who, apparently run the house. Then we have this gun thing and, I suspect, the same kind of thing is going on.

Strange.................

#305801 - 02/28/18 03:48 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: jgw]
NW Ponderer Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#305830 - 03/03/18 09:46 AM Re: Gun Control [Re: NW Ponderer]
Carpal Tunnel

When Senator Marco Rubio tried to make a slippery slope argument about banning assault rifles by saying "you'd have to ban all semiautomatic rifles" the audience enthusiastically endorsed that idea. After all, who really needs a semiautomatic rifle? I've noted before that no serious hunter uses an AR for hunting. That's not what it is designed for.
Quote:
the AR-15 is very good at one thing: engaging the enemy at a rapid rate of fire. When someone like Adam Lanza uses it to take out 26 people in a matter of minutes, he’s committing a crime, but he isn’t misusing the rifle. That’s exactly what it was engineered to do.
The NRA Claims the AR-15 Is Useful for Hunting and Home Defense. Not Exactly. - Slate.

I have long maintained that anyone who claims they regularly hunt with an assault rifle is either "not a hunter" or just a plain liar. The vast majority of hunters will not use a semi auto rifle for hunting because of the accuracy issues.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#305840 - 03/04/18 04:13 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: jgw]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

Former US Attorney General, Eric Holder, schools Parkland High students in how to go after the NRA. smile

#305843 - 03/04/18 05:14 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: pdx rick]
Carpal Tunnel

From the marketplace to the "marketplace of ideas." Star Opinion: Gun reform coming from the marketplace - Tucson Star. This is an ARIZONA paper.

#305844 - 03/04/18 06:08 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: jgw]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA

...from NW_Ps link:

Quote:
Change by commerce is more potent than relying elected officials to do the right thing.

Bow

#305845 - 03/04/18 09:56 PM Re: Gun Control [Re: pondering_it_all]
matthew Offline

Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
What do all these mass shooters have in common? I think it may be that they are sociopaths....

Unfortunately, sociopaths seem to be unusually common in the United States --- or else, American society and institutions give them unusual opportunities to express their proclivities.

It is far easier to deceive folks than to convince them they are deceived

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2