by Ujest Shurly
09/10/18 09:55 PM
Round Table for August, 2018
by pdx rick
09/10/18 02:00 AM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018
by Greger
09/06/18 10:36 PM
Do you plan to read 'Fear: Trump in the White House' by Bob Woodward?
by rporter314
09/06/18 07:18 PM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16380 Topics
281948 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#306378 - 04/13/18 12:23 AM Re: the new 1.5 trillion dollar infrastructure plan [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Orphanages: I don't think taking care of a bunch of kids is all that hard. Everybody with children of their own does it, and relatively few screw it up. The foster care system gives us lots of good rules, though they lack much oversight many times. Most foster kids are NOT sex slaves or starved to death. Cases where they are make headlines and get a lot of publicity, and steps are taken to rescue the kids.

I worry more about the kids who age out and get dumped on the street at 18. I think we need some extended support options so those kids can go to college or trade school.

#306381 - 04/13/18 05:21 PM Re: the new 1.5 trillion dollar infrastructure plan [Re: pondering_it_all]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just like the tax plan (80 percent of tax plan gain go to foreigners: CBO - Raw Story), most of the infrastructure plan doesn't help us. A Treat for Big Business, Not Taxpayers - US News.
Quote:
The plan has three parts to it:

First, give construction companies and private investors a big tax break so they are willing to invest more money knowing they won't be taxed on the profits they make. But this is still government spending, even though it's not generally described as such.

Second, the government can hand over public assets (like the air traffic control system) to a private entity that can then turn around and charge the government for services. This too is just a way of taking assets that the people own and giving them to corporations.

Third, the government can give private corporations the right to take money from someone else, in this case, you. This worked out terribly in Chicago, when the city sold to a private corporation a 99-year lease on the city's parking meters, in order to cover a short-term budget shortfall. The corporation immediately exploited the situation by raising parking rates and extending the hours of metered parking. Chicagoans are angry, but there's nothing they can do except wait 99 years.

Like everything else Trump touches, this is a scam, pure and simple.

#306382 - 04/13/18 06:24 PM Re: the new 1.5 trillion dollar infrastructure plan [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
First, the Jackass is now going after the Post Office. Since the right has been trying to privatize the Post Office for years, and now have the Jackass on their side just watch. He has now, under the guise of 'fixing' the post office, its is just getting started. Betcha his effort to get a report on the post office is going to suggest privatization (or close to it).

I think this comes under the heading of "yet another wet dream fulfillable of the right". First it was the public school system, then our entire infrastructure, and, now the post office too. As I watch this stuff I remain constantly amazed at the actual lack of any outrage on the part of the left. Privatization has always been a goal of the right but the current administration, has displayed an amazing competence in hogging media, with distraction after distraction, whilst the Republicans rip and tear for all they are worth. Voss (education) has, for instance, done a great job of wrecking public education and touting for pay, charter, etc. schools as the way to go. The fact that many of those have no oversight, and are even more incompetent than the public schools, is rarely reported, if ever. reported. Since the distractions are more salacious, entertaining, and loud its a wonder that anything important ever gets reported.

Some day I would love to see 'news' become ad free endeavors of media as a payback for being allowed to function in the United States of America (with protections against any 'fake' news, with penalties for same). We actually have some of that, right now, with PBS (which the administration of the Jackass trying to remove funds from). I also continue to believe that a 1 hour of prime time PBS should be dedicated to a show describing individual gov agencies (1 hour/1 agency at a time), what they do, how much they cost, etc. with an avenue for the public to put in their 2 cents worth (gov has done an excellent job of not telling us a damned thing!).

Edited by jgw (04/13/18 06:26 PM)

#306383 - 04/13/18 06:39 PM Re: the new 1.5 trillion dollar infrastructure plan [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Oh, sorry, I distracted myself. What happened to institutions happened over time. Orphanages and Insane Asylums, for instance, lost because gov kept on lowering standards and funds funding. The death knell of the Insane Asylums happened after a movie, The Snake Pit, was shown. It was a movie about the mistreatment of the Insane in underfunded, and understaffed, asylums. I think that happened somewhere around 1948. What really happened, of course, is that the right always felt that both of those things were part of what they call 'entitlements' which, to their way of thinking, is everything social that gov pays for. The shame of it is that the left just seems to let it happen <sigh>

I should also mention that its not the right, or left, that reduces social programs in times of economic difficulty. This BOTH the right and the left. This is a known fact and historically accurate. Its kinda like the economic downturns when the right takes control of gov. They increase the debt and wreck the economy. The last one was Bush and I expect that the Jackass will also bring on a serious economic downturn. Of course, then the right will blame the left for it all, and the left will roll over and just get beat up whilst trying to fix the screwups of the right. (also historically correct).

The interesting thing is that when the left is forced to clean up, after the actions of the right, some of what they have to do is not exactly popular so they take the blame for that too, which leave room for the right to come in and do it all over again.

#306387 - 04/13/18 11:34 PM Re: the new 1.5 trillion dollar infrastructure plan [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: jgw

The interesting thing is that when the left is forced to clean up, after the actions of the right, some of what they have to do is not exactly popular so they take the blame for that too, which leave room for the right to come in and do it all over again.

And this next time around, that's going to be almost impossible, for a long long while anyway.

Quote:
The Federal government is not only running enormous deficits, but we are doing so at a time of full-employment. When the inevitable recession comes, we will be in deep trouble.

The fiscal picture is worse than it looks—and it looks bad

#306398 - 04/14/18 01:40 PM Re: the new 1.5 trillion dollar infrastructure plan [Re: Jeffery J. Haas]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It is not government largesse that is the problem, it is the skewed tax system, which got immeasurably worse with the "Tax Insanity Act of 2017." Virtually every aspect of the TIA was exactly the wrong prescription, fiscally. Most of the benefits will, ultimately, move American money offshore (CBO), making it virtually untaxable, and accelerating the deficit. Meanwhile, wage growth will decline, unemployment will rise and the concomitant increase in safety net spending will rise. (where the tax cuts are going.) The only thing that can make this effect worse would be a balanced-budget Amendment. Oh wait... Cynical Balanced Budget Amendment Defeated, Just As GOP Planned - N.Y. Mag. Well, you can't say they didn't try.

#306419 - 04/15/18 07:42 PM Re: the new 1.5 trillion dollar infrastructure plan [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

What we are talking about is the plan from the right. There is no secret about this one. Increase the debt, scare everybody to death with that debt, and then go after any and all social services. This has been the plan, and the attack through several Republican administrations and the American voting public just keeps on getting suckered. This is how they seem to have moved the entire political thing to the right.

Hopefully, this time around, when its time for the Dems to fix the Republican economy, yet again, to fight back! Educate folks as to how and why they are feeling the pain, lost their job, money in the market, etc. Its really time, I think, to start moving back to some kind of social responsibility, fiscal responsibility, and doing the right thing.

(sorry, couldn't resist a bit of wishful thinking)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (Golem), 39 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2