281400 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#306637 - 05/07/18 01:24 PM TRUMP 2020!
chunkstyle Offline
journeyman

Instead of posting up past articles that proved to be prescient hows about a post that could be prescient for the future?
I've read a good deal of Frank Thomas and found his analysis to be spot on. Regretfully I found one of his latest articles to ring true as well.
As the corporate democratic establishment focuses on all of the POTUS's ugly spots and punches left, as it all too often does (including in the recent presidential primary), it has failed to come up with any coherent message as an alternative to the far rights. It's as though the party is trying to extend the strategy of the past democratic presidential nominee's late stage repugnancy strategy.

IF the article is to long or boring let me just copy and paste the money shot from Frank:

"There’s really only one set of successful politics for an age like this one: It’s the politics that we identify with the party of Lyndon Johnson, the party of the New Deal. What Trump has offered is a kind of weird replica of that. But as I have said many times, the real thing would beat the fake."

Lets see if he's called it again in 2020?

Thomas Frank Q&A

Edited by chunkstyle (05/07/18 02:45 PM)

#306643 - 05/07/18 07:13 PM Re: TRUMP 2020! [Re: chunkstyle]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Interesting article and he's got things pretty well pegged.

There's a good chance Trump can win another term. George Bush did it.
I'm not counting on Mueller to do much of anything. If he had the goods he would have delivered them already.

I don't look for much to happen in the midterms either. Dems will gain a few seats in the house, but not control of it. Senate isn't liable to change.

The economy is going to stay fairly strong because there is really nothing to stop it yet. But boom times invariably lead to bust times and the bigger the boom, the bigger the bust.

I'm hoping that Trump will simply choose not to run in 2020.

#306645 - 05/07/18 08:00 PM Re: TRUMP 2020! [Re: chunkstyle]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
"I'm hoping that Trump will simply choose not to run in 2020."

Mr Trump's choices are mandated by his narcissism. He may believe only a second term would necessary for him to achieve Godhood.

I think Mr Trump already believes he is the greatest president to ever have lived. If you don't believe me, believe his own words starting with crowd size continuing to preemptively finding a Korean solution for peace.

What's next? A cure for cancer? and there is always Godhood waiting for the man who believes he is savior and master of the universe.

#306646 - 05/07/18 09:08 PM Re: TRUMP 2020! [Re: chunkstyle]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
WaPo:Majority of Americans don’t see Trump tax cuts in paychecks

Quote:
The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center estimated that the typical middle-income household would see an after-tax gain of $930 in 2018 as a result of the new law. Assuming a one-paycheck household, that adds up to a little less than $18 a week. That’s enough for an extra lunch at Chipotle (average check: $12) but won’t even cover a steak dinner at Outback Steakhouse.

#306649 - 05/07/18 09:16 PM Re: TRUMP 2020! [Re: rporter314]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

He's already convinced of his greatness. If he simply retires he gets to move into the ranks of the Former Presidents Of The United States. Nobody ever says bad things about Former Presidents. They don't have jobs and can play golf whenever they want. Trump is gonna love being an FPOTUS! FPs get to travel around and get their pictures taken with A-Listers!

There is a risk that he might lose the 2020 election. He'd go out a loser....sad.

He's old. Older than me. And I know what it feels like to get old. It hurts. Physically, emotionally, and mentally, it hurts. He'd rather just watch tv and take a nap, okay?

He never wanted this job to begin with, never imagined he would actually win. He would join the former candidates for POTUS club. Like Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney...nobody says bad stuff about them and they get to hang out and get their pictures taken with B-Listers at Miralago.

Being president is hard.

He might not run.

#306650 - 05/08/18 02:03 AM Re: TRUMP 2020! [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
I'm not counting on Mueller to do much of anything. If he had the goods he would have delivered them already.

Watergate took two years and the original crime was MUCH simpler than Trump's many crimes. Be patient. Mueller may not act overtly until he has a new House with a lot of the worst actors unemployed.

And the Senate does not need to change much to have a Democratic majority. Just a few seats. Things will be very different after November.

#306654 - 05/08/18 03:04 AM Re: TRUMP 2020! [Re: chunkstyle]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
The Senate convicts on a "...two thirds of the Members present." They will need a lot more than "Just a few seats."

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#306655 - 05/08/18 03:57 AM Re: TRUMP 2020! [Re: Greger]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
There is a risk that he might lose the 2020 election. He'd go out a loser....sad.

here's the problem with that

as a narcissist he does not think of himself as a loser. His delusion is he is a winner ... people love him .... he is the greatest .... etc etc. and he already has a 2020 campaign pac in operation.

as to a possible reality he would lose ... remember the rigged elections? ... he would lose because illegals voted and the establishment rigged the election, etc ... still a winner

think like a narcissist, not a rational person

#306658 - 05/08/18 04:45 PM Re: TRUMP 2020! [Re: rporter314]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Quote:
remember the rigged elections?

Yeah, he'd have an out if he ran and lost, kind of a weak one though.

But my theory that he might not run is pretty weak too. I'll admit that I might be grasping at the straws that broke the camels back on this one. But it's still a possibility for a handful of reasons.

Can he win if he does run? Hell yeah. His base still loves him and most Republicans will vote for him. If he bows out Pence will run in his stead.
The onus is on Democrats to come up with a viable candidate to run in 2020.
Say It Aint Joe In 2020
Quote:
The Democrats lost about 1,000 seats in state legislatures over the course of the Obama years. In 2016, they lost the presidency to a cartoonishly racist and widely despised reality television personality. Something hasn’t been working for the brand. This appears lost on the sector of the party that hopes to woo voters in 2020 with the same old centrist agenda. This time, it’s dressed up in the down-home package of Joe Biden— “Middle-Class Joe,” as he calls himself.
>snip<
...of the six people considered the most likely 2020 Democratic presidential contenders—Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Cory Booker, Kirsten Gillibrand and Biden—only “Middle-Class Joe” does not support single-payer healthcare.

**sighs**

#306659 - 05/08/18 04:53 PM Re: TRUMP 2020! [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Quote:
Things will be very different after November.

Democrats everywhere are putting way too many eggs in that basket.

The Blue Wave may prove to be little more than a blue ripple.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2