by Greger
21 minutes 41 seconds ago
A time when politics were not all about greed
by Greger
58 minutes 37 seconds ago
Answer (Fredric Brown, 1954)
by Golem
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by Greger
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
The United States v Donald Trump
by rporter314
Yesterday at 12:54 PM
How the octopus got its smarts
by Ujest Shurly
Yesterday at 02:32 AM
Our modern Sinclair Lewis?
by jgw
09/22/18 08:52 PM
Returning rationality to public policy
by NW Ponderer
09/20/18 04:03 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
09/20/18 12:58 AM
Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre
by Golem
09/18/18 06:57 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/18 10:21 PM
Justice is coming
by jgw
09/17/18 09:37 PM
Flor-i-duh's Governor's Race
by Greger
09/17/18 06:19 PM
‘Unprecedented’: Natural gas expert says ‘over-pressurization’ may be to blame
by NW Ponderer
09/17/18 03:02 PM
George Conway rips Trump over tweet about Obama's '57 states' gaffe
by pdx rick
09/17/18 04:37 AM
Obama's Friday Speech
by pondering_it_all
09/14/18 06:51 AM
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record
by Greger
09/14/18 03:01 AM
Mike Rowe on Nike / Kaepernick and 9/11 hero Tom Burnett
by Greger
09/12/18 02:17 AM
The nuclear option
by Greger
09/12/18 01:22 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16385 Topics
282000 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Topic Options
#306681 - 05/09/18 06:56 PM Federalist Society Promotes Drug Use
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Or, at least whoever wrote this article had to have been stoned when he wrote it...Here’s How The Supreme Court Already Repealed The Second Amendment by Mark Overstreet.

I mean, seriously. He's arguing - and this is really his argument - that Heller was a limitation on the second amendment, rather than creating a heretofore unrecognized "right". How? Because Heller, and it's author, Antony Scalia, allowed that there could be limitations imposed on the Second Amendment "right".

Interestingly, near the end of his article, he said two things I agree with: first, "Of course, regardless of Heller and whether the Second Amendment is repealed, Americans have the right to keep and bear arms"; and, "But rights are a concept. Laws that are enforced have tangible effect." Unfortunately, the rest of his screed is burdened by insanity, or at least inspired by liberal drug use.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#306684 - 05/09/18 10:59 PM Re: Federalist Society Promotes Drug Use [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
At some point in the not too distant future, firearms which do not require conventional kinetic ammunition may appear on the scene. Future "guns" might not even use conventional bullets or any kind of gunpowder style projectiles whatsoever.
I don't wish to engage in painting pseudo-scientific scenarios that describe what a futuristic firearm might be like, although I certainly invite others to do so if they have informed opinions on the subject. I just consider it to be beyond my limitations or pay grade. Smarter people than myself who are more experienced may have a lot to say on the concept.

I just have a gut feeling that bullets may very well become a thing of the past in the near future. The very concept of "FIRE" in firearms may become as outmoded as horses on a horseless carriage.

So...what then? Is a gun still a gun if it emits a high powered particle beam of some kind instead of a bullet?
And is it covered by the Second Amendment?

Go ahead and laugh if you think I am ruminating on the notion of the Second Amendment not applying to Star Trek style "phasers" or "disruptor" weapons, but the point I am making might not actually be all that far fetched, and even if it is right now, it might not be someday in our lifetime.
Therefore, it's a worthwhile question.

#306685 - 05/10/18 12:27 AM Re: Federalist Society Promotes Drug Use [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
You can already buy electric shock handheld units and obtain (maybe illegally) tasers. You can build your own red or infrared lasers that can blind opponents, probably permanently. We also have bows, crossbows, and slingshots that can kill somebody if you shoot them in the right spot. Pepper spray is legal most places. There are lots of alternatives to bullets.

You can just hit somebody with a stick...

#306686 - 05/10/18 01:08 AM Re: Federalist Society Promotes Drug Use [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Online   content

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Second Amendment is about the right to carry arms. It doesn't specify what kind...

#306694 - 05/10/18 06:41 PM Re: Federalist Society Promotes Drug Use [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
The Second Amendment begins with "a well REGULATED"! Its the very first words. The Second Amendment admirers have consistently, with malice and ignorance, completely ignored the first sentence of the amendment! All the rest of the supposed conversation is just pure bunkum. The fun rights folks leave me with the impression that they are clueless. One other fact on guns - we have a gun problem and the entire rest of the industrialized world has figured it out - REGULATE THE GUNS! Both sides, seem to ignore the first words of the amendment in favor of a big discussion about stuff that really have nothing to do with the amendment but, rather, supposed rights without the first words of the amendment everybody is so concerned about <sigh>

Sorry, I have been preaching this one for a long time but people just keep quoting, and ignoring, what the amendment says in favor of arguments that are simply not logical.

#306695 - 05/10/18 06:54 PM Re: Federalist Society Promotes Drug Use [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Apparently you read the Federalist article... lol

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 30 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2