280436 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#306708 - 05/11/18 05:24 PM A Thought
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I was thinking, yet again, about the second amendment and how the anti-gun folks are doing (not great). I think the first thing they should change is the word 'control' when referring to guns. I think they should replace that with "regulate". I think that 'control' came from the NRA and the anti's just let it be and they made a mistake (there IS a difference between the two. The second thing is that the anti-gun folks should EMBRACE the second amendment. Its really pretty simple - the Second Amendment starts with "A well regulated". I have watched any number of pro-gunners actually say that 'their' Second Amendment does not allow anybody to regulate and everybody gives them a pass. Hogwash! The argument has been owned by the NRA for a very long time and them against should understand that and take it back!

I believe that "A well regulated" is the important part and all the rest actually isn't important at all. The 'regulated' part is the one that controls the agenda! The Pro-gun folks love to talk about the rest, ie "Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." There is, however, a reason the 'regulated' starts it all and folks should start to talk about that instead of militias, security, free state, rith to keep and bear, etc.

#306715 - 05/11/18 10:14 PM Re: A Thought [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
You can keep and bear arms, but you are not allowed to fire then unless you join the National Guard. That is perfectly compatible with the Second Amendment as written. Most incorporated cities have laws against firing guns that have stood up to court challenges for a very long time. We could change the laws to make it very expensive and illegal to fire guns anywhere but a National Guard firing range, and that would stand up to constitutional scrutiny too.

Just declare reloading illegal and charge $1000 per bullet, unless you have National Guard supply officer status.

#306719 - 05/11/18 11:25 PM Re: A Thought [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Just declare....

Uh, who is it has the authority to "just declare" anything of that nature? Guns are going nowhere, neither are bullets. And a time when Republicans are in charge of the entire government is probably not the best time to be seeking stricter gun laws.

I think Antonin Scalia and the supreme court most recently defined how the Second Amendment should be defined... The opening language can be ignored, but the right is not without limitations...

At least that's the jist of it, you can read it all Here

#306721 - 05/12/18 12:36 AM Re: A Thought [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Obviously Congress makes the laws and the President signs them, but not THIS Congress and not THIS President. Just thinking about what is possible without a Constitutional Amendment.

#306724 - 05/12/18 01:21 AM Re: A Thought [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
New assault rifle sales by special permit only, limit magazine sizes, ban bump stocks. Close the gun show loophole.
Establish a national database to keep domestic abusers and overall crazies from buying weapons, and put some teeth in the background checks.
Just some common sense changes.
No need to get all draconian with the $1000 bullets and mandated military service or whoever wrote the law will be voted out and the law changed. Slow and steady wins the race PIA. Millenials are probably our best hope to actually make those changes and it's gonna be a few years before they seize the reins from us Boomers and the Xers.

#306739 - 05/12/18 10:17 PM Re: A Thought [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Sure, I'm for anything that can help. Right now, the first essential step is to keep the pressure up on politicians who are bought by the NRA. This could actually help in Democratic campaigns in November. The NRA has a massive presence in Congress. Far more than it's numbers justify.

Once you get rid of some of those bought and paid for Congressmen, Congress could pass some laws that implement sensible gun legislation. They couldn't outlaw personal artillery pieces the way it is now.

The most important is to implement a real mandatory reporting system for domestic abusers. Somebody knows these guys should not have guns long before they pick one up and start shooting. I've looked at the numbers and I'm not very worried about crazies. They are much more likely to hurt themselves than others.

#306741 - 05/13/18 05:45 PM Re: A Thought [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
Again, you are all fighting the battle that the NRA setup. None are fighting the REAL battle. The real battle is REGULATION! Nothing more, nothing less. The first thing that should be done is to stop using 'control' and starting using 'regulation'. That alone is a giant step. Then you have to literally embrace the Second Amendment. Once you are there then its time to actually talk about 'regulation' as that is the crux of it all. The NRA, not unlike the Drug Industry, the Banking industry, etc. is the same. The only difference is that they have conned everybody to believe that everybody that owns a gun is a supporter of the NRA. That is simply wrong but its rarely mentioned. The simple fact is that, if you buy a gun, you are automatically registered as a member of the NRA. I suspect one step would be to put a stop to that one. How about forcing dealers to offer a form, ie. "Check the appropriate box; A)Join the NRA, B)Refuse joining the NRA". Remember, the gun dealer that gets you signed up is using YOUR information to get that done. If you don't want your information used to sign you up then.......... That, at least would be a start. What I am suggesting is pretty simple. Calm down and whittle away and, little by little, you can win. I think the last poll I read had something over 70% of folks WANT regulations on guns!

The NRA can howl about how 'they' want to take their guns away. That is obvious baloney, which has been said over and over. What we really want is to regulate just as the Second Amendment says and that is the ONLY argument - all the rest is a waste of time.

#306744 - 05/14/18 12:23 AM Re: A Thought [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Okay, but you can't pass ANY law with the word gun in it without the NRA going full blast against it, and getting all their Congressmen to oppose it. Even totally sensible things. If you want to be able to anything at all, you have to kick those people out first.

#306745 - 05/14/18 04:23 AM Re: A Thought [Re: jgw]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: jgw
....I think the first thing they should change is the word 'control' when referring to guns. I think they should replace that with "regulate".

2A'ers hate government, and they hate government regulation even more. Hmm

#306746 - 05/14/18 04:23 AM Re: A Thought [Re: pondering_it_all]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all
You can keep and bear arms, but you are not allowed to fire then unless you join the National Guard.

Bow

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2