by pondering_it_all
Today at 05:08 AM
Is it too soon to be talking 2020?
by Ken Condon
Today at 04:48 AM
CNN's lawsuit over White House ban of Jim Acosta
by logtroll
Today at 12:01 AM
RED ALERT: Obstruction of Justice on Overdrive!
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 06:21 PM
Our Embarrasment of a White House
by NW Ponderer
Yesterday at 09:28 AM
Round table NOVEMBER 2018
by Jeffery J. Haas
11/12/18 04:44 PM
The Passing Parade: Obituaries: 2018
by pondering_it_all
11/12/18 06:28 AM
the economy
by pondering_it_all
11/11/18 04:25 AM
Happy Birthday, United States Marine Corps
by Greger
11/10/18 08:45 PM
What Left?
by Greger
11/09/18 02:42 AM
Sleazy Slimeball or Slimy Sleazebag?
by NW Ponderer
11/08/18 06:25 PM
The rising tides are upon us
by pondering_it_all
11/08/18 01:15 AM
People who remember every second of their life - Total recall | 60 Minutes Austr
by Jeffery J. Haas
11/04/18 10:42 PM
Frontline: Facebook Dilemma
by Jeffery J. Haas
11/04/18 10:27 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
11/04/18 09:22 PM
Roundtable for October 2018
by logtroll
10/30/18 11:06 PM
An Open Letter to My Teenage Son (Vietnam War era artifact)
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/29/18 05:02 AM
Media and Trump
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/28/18 08:09 PM
Debt Crises
by jgw
10/28/18 07:48 PM
The chosen one?
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/27/18 12:40 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16415 Topics
282754 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#306883 - 06/01/18 05:55 PM The Homeless
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I, and others, have made passing reference to "The Homeless". This is a problem that has nowhere to go but up. I have noticed that "The Homeless" is a banner under which there are parts and this is an important fact that most seem to be missing. "The Homeless" is made up of, parents with no jobs and belonging to any of the following. As far as I can tell we have people who have no place to live as they have minimum Social Security, no savings, and cannot afford any existing living space due to price increases. There are those that are not employed because they have no marketable skills. Drug addicts, Bums, etc. Then there are the insane.

The strange thing is that much of this can be dealt with. People can be re-trained, dealing with drugs can be done effectively, the elderly, on SS can be helped. The facts, however, do not deal, they punish.

Dealing with drug addiction was first dealt with by Portugal almost 20 years ago and much of the world has followed suit. Google "portugal Drugs" and learn what works and what does not.

Dealing with the broke elderly, and the unemployable means that we really need to build more low cost housing. This is tricky. They tried that with the 'projects' which failed but the why is also known (needed serious regulation and oversight) but ignored.

Gov seems to have decided that fixing the problem of the mentally screwed up has been turned over to our drug industry. The problem with that one is that the insane do not like their drugs so they don't take them. The majority of those doing mass murder turns out to be under the care of a shrink and has a prescription for drugs they do not take. I once suggested adding a bit of feel good and making the meds addicting to assure they take them. The AMA replied that would not work as, when they get a real cure, they would have all them addicts to deal with (really!) This is, again, fixable but the fixes are ignored.

So, every high school in America is trying to deal with kids that are homeless because of this and that. I say they are trying because they get no help, no nuthin. The effort to even vaguely help kids in desparate situations is, basically, to ignore the problem. If you have any kids in high school ask them if they know any homeless kids - I ask the question often and have yet to find a kind that doesn't know at least one.

I can keep going on this but I think I have actually said enough. Just thought I would weigh in on this one. OH, I didn't deal with the bums because they are always around, are usually predatory and many probably fall into other categories which are also not being dealt with.

I do know that the problem with "The Homeless" gets bigger every day and that any solutions I have heard of or seen are not even vaguely dealing with any of the root causes. In other words our current solution is to ignore and punish and little more.

Oh, there is also the little house solution in Seattle. This is where they get control of some gov land, a bunch of volunteers build 'little houses' and then they move homeless in. Apparently they are not sorting by category so these little house communities bring crime and needles with them. This one seems to me to be a feel good operating which is too small, poorly conceived and run, and not exactly welcomed by the communities they are sticking them in.

#306884 - 06/01/18 06:45 PM Re: The Homeless [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
If you just want to house people, the Japanese have figured out a way to do that in a very efficient manner: Micro-hotels. Each room is tiny, but has everything a person needs to survive. "The Homeless" is really a lot of different problems, but that one can be solved easily and for much less than we spend now.

Other aspects of the problem are more difficult. Like drug addiction, and mental health issues. But it's pretty easy to get even crazy people and drug addicts housed. Probably the worst idea would be to couple those things. For example, saying you can't have a micro-hotel room if you use drugs. Instead, you need to say you get free detox or methadone treatment if you live here. Homeless people usually got there by making bad choices, but that's what liberty costs. Some people made bad choices and will continue to do so in the future. You can let them freeze to death on the streets or not.

#306886 - 06/01/18 10:35 PM Re: The Homeless [Re: jgw]
Ken Condon Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Eugene, OR
OK so the analytical part of me expresses itself. All species self regulate-- either due to external forces, disease, or lack of food. Living conditions also play into this.

Why should humans be exempt? Or are they? Should they?

#307013 - 06/18/18 05:53 PM Re: The Homeless [Re: jgw]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I might point out that HUD is proposing that rental rates for the poor be raised 3 times higher than they are now. The logic is that this will give, for instance, them elderly poor to go out and get a job. I remember going to Russia, several years ago and noting that every street had old people actually begging for food. The current jackass administration is working very hard to duplicate that one.

#307018 - 06/18/18 08:53 PM Re: The Homeless [Re: jgw]
matthew Offline

'
The goal of the billionaire Oligarchs who have taken over the USA is to return to the Good Old Days of Herbert Hoover.

---with gerrymandering and vote rigging to prevent a democratic backlash, of course.

It is far easier to deceive folks than to convince them they are deceived

#307020 - 06/19/18 12:39 AM Re: The Homeless [Re: matthew]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
...the Good Old Days of Herbert Hoover.

And those "tiny houses" soon begin to resemble the Hooverville shanties.

#307022 - 06/19/18 08:22 PM Re: The Homeless [Re: Greger]
matthew Offline

Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:
...the Good Old Days of Herbert Hoover.

And those "tiny houses" soon begin to resemble the Hooverville shanties.

Good point! --- Bow

It is far easier to deceive folks than to convince them they are deceived

#307023 - 06/19/18 11:23 PM Re: The Homeless [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Well, not really. They have electricity, heat, running water, sewage, etc. Pretty much all the amenities of a modest American home, but with a lot less wasted space. Consider to that they are far superior to a cardboard box behind the supermarket, and many Americans spend large sums so they can have vacations living in a camper shell that is even smaller than a tiny house.

In light of the real estate and rental crunch, a tiny home or two in the backyard might be just the thing for young adult children who can't afford to move out.

I wonder if anybody is renting them out through AirBnB?

#307024 - 06/20/18 03:24 AM Re: The Homeless [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Not many homeless folks have access to all those amenities and there are "Hoovervilles" filled with tents, cardboard boxes and plenty of squalor all over the USA.

#307025 - 06/20/18 04:33 AM Re: The Homeless [Re: pondering_it_all]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Originally Posted By: pondering_it_all

In light of the real estate and rental crunch, a tiny home or two in the backyard might be just the thing for young adult children who can't afford to move out.

Indeed, good call. Our daughter will most likely make a move some time in the next year or so, I would be guessing. She's been saving her money and working her tail off.

Our son's health issues and disabilities, on the other hand, are another matter. Once she moves, he's going to move into her old room, which has its own bathroom and we're considering modeling a side entrance so that he can have as much privacy and coming and going as he desires, sort of an attached "apartment" situation.

He will still be totally welcome everywhere in the house, of course, but we want him to feel as though he has full autonomy over his living situation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2