281301 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#306442 - 04/19/18 03:59 PM What it will take to curb the President
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There are currently 193 democrats in the House and 49 in the Senate (including the 2 independents). To have presidential override, it will take 290 votes in the House and 67 in the Senate. Even if the democrats were to take control of both chambers - a big if - they have no chance of getting those kinds of majorities.

Realistically, then, Democrats, assuming perfect unity (certainly not a given), will need Republican support to override vetoes or seek impeachment. How much? A lot.

Best case (realistic) scenario Dems gain 30 seats in the House and two in the Senate. That's 220 and 51. They would need 70 Representatives and 16 Senators to "cross over" to support such actions. That's a hard row to hoe. Are there that many principled Republican legislators in either chamber? Recent history does not support that proposition.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#306444 - 04/19/18 05:54 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
You are spot on! NOT gonna happen!

#306445 - 04/19/18 06:07 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: NW Ponderer]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
I'm not counting on the Trump thing to get countered in just these two years. Hopefully we'll make a little progress in the mid terms but it's going to take an economic downturn(which I consider inevitable) to turn this thing around. The silver lining, if there is one, is that the longer it takes and the worse things get, the worse it will be for the Republican Party.

I noticed that China is not just responding to Trump's Trade War but responding with tariffs that will hurt areas that voted for Trump worst of all. Inscrutable!

The stock market is all over the place and liable to become more volatile as time goes by. Trump's limited and myopic understanding of the world economy is most likely to be his downfall.

#306446 - 04/20/18 12:25 AM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Just a few Senate seats, and the President can no longer pass any bill that is too obnoxious. More important, he will not be able to confirm anyone too incompetent or insane for anything. As his appointees get indicted, he won't be be able to replace them. I don't know if Trump could stand being a total lame duck. It's not in his nature to tolerate being a loser.

#306447 - 04/20/18 01:12 AM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: NW Ponderer]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
Sorry but I am not that pessimistic.
I'm thinking we're probably going to wind up with somewhere between 53 and 56 in the Senate.
I am not sure of the House numbers but we'll have a majority.
Still not enough for a veto override but enough to stem the hemorrhaging.

#306450 - 04/21/18 12:01 AM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
STOP THE WITCH HUNT

IMPEACH MR TRUMP NOW!!!!!!

#306451 - 04/21/18 03:44 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: rporter314]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm not a religious person, but I do pray, occasionally. What I've been praying for for decades is the complete collapse of the Republican party as it currently exists. I'm not sure the United States can survive another decade of their influence. It is a cancer in the body politic. We're in the advanced stage of this disease, and only utter eradication will give us a chance to survive.

Hillary Clinton's analysis was estute, even if it was ridiculed even by those who knew better. Trump's supporters were represented by three baskets: The first group was allegedly made up of Republican supporters who didn’t like Clinton and would always vote along party lines;
Basket No. 2 reportedly included what Clinton described as those “who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens in their lives and their futures.”; and, of course, "the deplorables" the “racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic — you name it,” she's reported as saying. The problem was, she said "half" - which, while underestimated, sounded bad, like "47%" did.

Until the Republicans in the first and third baskets are the smallest of minorities - kept around as an exemplar and the bogey men of children's nightmares, laughed at and pittied - and rational, compassionate, and ethical Representatives are the super majority, we will be on life support as a nation. The optimist in me believes some day, hopefully in my lifetime, we will get there. 2018 may be a start, but this will be the work of a generation or more. We've got decades of junk to dispose of and formidable deep pockets to overcome.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#306453 - 04/21/18 04:16 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Quote:
this will be the work of a generation or more

your Pollyannaesque weltanschauung is ... I suppose ... somewhat refreshing.

I am a lot more cynical, especially after having my prediction of 3 generation evolution in racial thinking bitch slap me until I was unconscious. I am on the side of the grit of oil & dirt seen in dark places.

I have already made my opinion, regarding most Americans ability to think, very clear. I am out of the Jean Dixon business. What I do know is current Republican/conservative thinking is to neglect schools except for those which indoctrinate their ideals. Education is the key and as you should know, any effort to mitigate poor education is simply a mythologically eternal task in the current political environment.

Don't get me wrong. I am a lifetime believer the impossible takes a little longer to achieve. If it were so easy, the Greeks would have done it.

#306469 - 04/23/18 07:06 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: rporter314]
Spag-hetti Offline

Loc: Middle, USA
I keep reading that Trump's approval rating among Republicans remains a pretty steady 85 percent. I'm no statistician, but I think that means that they poll a sampling of Republicans and then figure that number is probably representative of the whole group. Poorly said, but mostly correct so far?

But I wonder if the number of people who identify themselves as Republicans is shrinking, or maybe not growing at a normal rate.

I wonder how many Republicans were so grossed out by candidate Trump that they became Independents or Democrats or nonvoters. I read herethis interesting statistic in a quote of a Gallup poll.

Party Affiliation
August 2017 - Democrats 28%, Republicans 28%, Independents 41%
January 2018 - Democrats 32%, Republicans 22%, Independents 44%

Now, I don't know how that works out, number of people wise, but the percentage of Democrats and Independents grew, while the number of Republicans shrank.

So the approval of 85% is approval of a smaller number of people than before. And I don't think it is going to change.

The Parkland teens have not associated themselves with a political party, but if they sway people to vote against candidates who do not support stricter gun laws, that means voting against a lot of Republicans. We saw the strength of their movement. I don't think many of them are going to register as Republicans. And then there's the women's movement.

I see a glimmer of hope.

#306470 - 04/23/18 07:13 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Statistics is Mathematics way to lie...

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 26 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2