6248 Members
58 Forums
16339 Topics
281301 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#306471 - 04/24/18 07:20 AM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Gallup is actually pretty good, as polls go. So 85% of 22% is only 18.7% of Americans supporting Trump. Of course that's only among the people who claim to be Republicans. Are there no Democrats who support Trump? No Independents? I think the important number is the percentage of Independents who still support Trump. To a very large extent, they are the people who made him President.

An NBC poll says 32% of Independents and 11% of Democrats approve of his job performance. Combining this with the January 2018 - Democrats 32%, Republicans 22%, Independents 44% numbers, we get a composite score of 36.3% of all adults support him. His support among Republicans is not much higher than his support among Independents, just because there are so many Independents.

Of course, a large number of those could change their minds when Mueller's report comes out, when the President perjures himself in a deposition, when he fires Mueller, etc.

#306472 - 04/24/18 05:41 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
Quote:
32% of Independents and 11% of Democrats approve of his job performance
Independents I can understand, to be "independent" can mean many things. But more than 1 in 10 Democrats approving of his abysmal job performance is a little hard to swallow.

#306473 - 04/24/18 07:36 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: Spag-hetti]
Ma_Republican Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Spag-hetti
I keep reading that Trump's approval rating among Republicans remains a pretty steady 85 percent. I'm no statistician, but I think that means that they poll a sampling of Republicans and then figure that number is probably representative of the whole group. Poorly said, but mostly correct so far?

But I wonder if the number of people who identify themselves as Republicans is shrinking, or maybe not growing at a normal rate.

I wonder how many Republicans were so grossed out by candidate Trump that they became Independents or Democrats or nonvoters. I read herethis interesting statistic in a quote of a Gallup poll.

Party Affiliation
August 2017 - Democrats 28%, Republicans 28%, Independents 41%
January 2018 - Democrats 32%, Republicans 22%, Independents 44%

Now, I don't know how that works out, number of people wise, but the percentage of Democrats and Independents grew, while the number of Republicans shrank.

So the approval of 85% is approval of a smaller number of people than before. And I don't think it is going to change.

The Parkland teens have not associated themselves with a political party, but if they sway people to vote against candidates who do not support stricter gun laws, that means voting against a lot of Republicans. We saw the strength of their movement. I don't think many of them are going to register as Republicans. And then there's the women's movement.

I see a glimmer of hope.

The Donald has been surprisingly OK. Domestically, unemployment is very low, he cut taxes and has kept his attention on illegal immigration. Internationally, the Iran agreement was a joke, it was just a way for Obama to give Iran their bank account back, North Korea is North Korea. They will do the same thing that they have done to every president since Carter, promise the world and screw us from behind. Russia is Russia and will always be the boogie man in the room. Once Mueller is done and he can't prosecute, maybe we should open a special council on the DNC and Pelosi?

All in all, aside from the fact that he is a moron of the first order, Trump is still better than the alternative. He hasn't done a bad job, even with the Democrats stabbing America, and Trump, in the back at every opportunity. Yeah, the whole Russia thing is a joke, not even worthy of my interest. If Trump is a moron,. and I believe he is, then everybody who thinks that Russia did anything that affected the election are mentally retarded, or a Hillary supporter. (Is that redundant?) All the evidence so far points to the DNC as the bad guys in this little wag the dog episode.

Hey, have a great day!

Tim

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

#306474 - 04/24/18 10:46 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: Ma_Republican]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Quote:
The Donald has been surprisingly OK.

You know it can't last, Tim. Something is going to blow up in his face, I know it, you know it. It's just a matter of time.

#306475 - 04/24/18 11:12 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: Ma_Republican]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Quote:
All the evidence so far points to the DNC as the bad guys in this little wag the dog episode.

Betsy Devoss...unqualified and attempting to dismantle public education in a time when education is the key to our nations success.

Jeff Sessions..."Good People don't Smoke marijuana"

Scott Pruit....doing everything in his power to stop the Environmental Protection Agency from protecting the environment.

Ben Carson....pyramids, grain...you know the guy. Remember back before the election Trump Promised him a job for his endorsement.

And now Ronnie Jackson. A drunk, abusive, ass kisser. Trump Finds out that the head of the VA worked for Obama...so he grabs the nearest doctor and nominates him. Now he suggests that the guy not take the job. But the guy is still fighting for the job and Stormy Daniels, Mueller, Russia, Korea etc etc....it's exactly what you'd expect when you elect a moron.

#306476 - 04/25/18 12:10 AM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: Ma_Republican]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: Ma_Republican
... he cut taxes ...

HeyTim, good to see you! I've been wanting a good solid R opinion on whether a tax cut that raises the deficit by more than the cut is really a cut?

What say you?

#306477 - 04/25/18 12:11 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: logtroll]
Ma_Republican Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: logtroll
Originally Posted By: Ma_Republican
... he cut taxes ...

HeyTim, good to see you! I've been wanting a good solid R opinion on whether a tax cut that raises the deficit by more than the cut is really a cut?

What say you?

The problem is always the same. When you cut taxes and don't make corresponding cuts in the budget the deficit is going to balloon. The budgeting process in America is a joke, with cowards on both sides afraid to make tough decisions, so they push the problem down the road to the next generation. Eventually, this issue will have to be addressed and it will be interesting to see how it is. Will Americans, who are generally an anti-tax small government type of population, allow their elected representatives to increase taxes to address the deficit, or do they force a reimaging of the Federal process? My guess is that America will not allow their hard earned monies to taken away from them to support those people and programs that do not fall within what they would consider productive.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

#306478 - 04/25/18 01:31 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: Greger]
Ma_Republican Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:
The Donald has been surprisingly OK.

You know it can't last, Tim. Something is going to blow up in his face, I know it, you know it. It's just a matter of time.

I really don't expect it to last. Look at what is happening, look how hard the professional politicians are fighting him, and I don't point my fingers at only the Dems.

Eventually, the Donald will loose his mind and point fingers at his own party, and that will become a defining moment in US political history. Will the GOP line up behind the non-politician POTUS, or will they line up behind the status quo? So far, no matter how hard the professional politicians have tried, they have not been able to reign Trump in. He is still the guy without a filter who actually says what he means and usually means what he says. I am not a big fan, but his style of politicking is refreshing. I wish more people would adopt it.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#306479 - 04/25/18 05:17 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: Ma_Republican]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Quote:
his style of politicking is refreshing.

His style of politicking is kleptocracy.

He's running a family business with ties to organized crime from the White House with little regard for actual governance. Might as well be Don Corleone.

But...if he was a Liberal and espousing liberal ideas while he robbed the country blind I'd probably find his politicking refreshing too.

#306481 - 04/25/18 07:16 PM Re: What it will take to curb the President [Re: Greger]
Ma_Republican Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Greger
Quote:
his style of politicking is refreshing.

His style of politicking is kleptocracy.

He's running a family business with ties to organized crime from the White House with little regard for actual governance. Might as well be Don Corleone.

But...if he was a Liberal and espousing liberal ideas while he robbed the country blind I'd probably find his politicking refreshing too.

This is what happens when a billionaire gets elected President of the United States. It is naïve to think he would give up his business interests for such a shitty job, hell he donates his salary to charity.

Can we be honest and realistic for a moment, just between you and me? I won't tell anybody. Did you really believe that Donald would divest or that he could actually divest or that he should? This guy is a success story. Yes, it is a mixed bag of success, but hell, be became the POTUS. He has made and lost, and then made it again, more money than we will ever be associated with. If you guys hadn't been so determined to undermine his presidency, and the country at the same time, he might have done great thing, or he might have flamed out spectacularly by now. So now, when the next Dem gets elected, maybe Mexico will have tried to influence that election? Or maybe MS13, or Jamaica. Who knows, maybe the DNC will get framed for money laundering? You have provided the blueprint for how to screw the POTUS and the country all in one fell swoop. I just hope that you get the chance to reap what you have sown.

Boston had a mayor, Kevin White. He was a Dem and a crook and a con man. He held a birthday party for his WIFE every year and demanded everybody in his administration, as well as all department heads and most of the house and senate, come to the party and bring gifts. Their were rumors, and since my father in law actually had to attend, strong rumors, that you job depended upon your $100 gift (cash). What he did for Boston was well worth every penny he stole. He got the job done, had the streets plowed and the potholes filled. The City of Boston grew at an unbelievable rate and most of the city development has been maintained.

Sometimes a con man is what is needed to succeed.

Have a nice day,

Tim

Edited by Ma_Republican (04/25/18 07:17 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 26 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2