by jgw
08:52 PM
How the octopus got its smarts
by logtroll
08:30 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by Ujest Shurly
06:58 PM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by pondering_it_all
06:58 AM
Returning rationality to public policy
by NW Ponderer
09/20/18 04:03 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
09/20/18 12:58 AM
Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre
by Golem
09/18/18 06:57 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/18 10:21 PM
Justice is coming
by jgw
09/17/18 09:37 PM
Flor-i-duh's Governor's Race
by Greger
09/17/18 06:19 PM
‘Unprecedented’: Natural gas expert says ‘over-pressurization’ may be to blame
by NW Ponderer
09/17/18 03:02 PM
George Conway rips Trump over tweet about Obama's '57 states' gaffe
by pdx rick
09/17/18 04:37 AM
Obama's Friday Speech
by pondering_it_all
09/14/18 06:51 AM
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record
by Greger
09/14/18 03:01 AM
Mike Rowe on Nike / Kaepernick and 9/11 hero Tom Burnett
by Greger
09/12/18 02:17 AM
The nuclear option
by Greger
09/12/18 01:22 AM
President Petty and Ineffective - a danger to the Republic
by chunkstyle
09/11/18 11:54 PM
stare into the lights my pretties
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/11/18 04:15 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16383 Topics
281979 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#307100 - 06/26/18 03:56 AM Re: small (SMR) and very small (VSMR) nuclear reactors [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Florida
And that's another thing....I've been hearing promises for years. Nothing ever comes of it.

The military runs boats with nuclear reactors. I wonder just how nasty THOSE things are...

#307102 - 06/26/18 08:23 AM Re: small (SMR) and very small (VSMR) nuclear reactors [Re: Greger]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Submarine reactors are shielded very well. If you have to work right inside the reactor then you might get some exposure, but submariners in general get more REMs on their dosimeter if they take it home on leave than they get inside the sub! The flight crew on a nuclear carrier gets more exposure than the reactor crew, because of exposure to sunlight. Pilots get the most because of exposure to cosmic rays.

But distance from the reactor makes a huge different because the radiation spreads out by the inverse square law. The Canadian rule of 1000 feet is ridiculous. I bet you get down to "living in Denver" dosage levels in 100 feet.

The main problem (besides waste disposal) with nuclear power plants is that almost every single one is a new design! How much would cars cost if every one was designed from scratch and machined out of steel and aluminum billets? If some company can mass produce a "good enough" model then they get really cheap.

#307106 - 06/26/18 07:20 PM Re: small (SMR) and very small (VSMR) nuclear reactors [Re: jgw]
jgw Online   content
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I have always been amazed with nulear power on a number of different fronts. When we started with nuclear power gov, in its infinite wisdom, decided that we needed an agency to deal with it and the best people to put in charge were our "energy' experts. At the time our experts for energy came from, basically, the fossil fuel industry (oil and gas).

So, we put the oil and gas folks in charge of nuclear which, basically, threatened the existence of their own industry! (you can look this one up). The decisions made, during the beginning, we still live with today as those decision were not all that great and the results did an absolutely great job of scaring the crap out of everybody. I can remember, for instance, when we actually developed a nuclear engine for airplanes! Yep, we were on top of that one! But, can you imagine? A nuclear airplane engine? This one basically scared the hell out of EVERYBODY! (it was abandoned with fanfare)

Anyway, we developed a bunch of reactors, some for weapons and some for energy. I think, for instance, that there is still one of the first reactors still running, at the University of Chicago, in the middle of Chicago! As far as I can tell they were ALL dangerous and remain so to this day. On the other hand we now have SMR's (Small Modular Reacors). One of the main points of this generation is that they are, intrinsically safe. They cannot, for instance, "melt down" and they also produce a LOT loess waste. There are actually designs that can use existing nuclear waste as fuel.

The problem with SMR's is that the fossil fuel industries still hate Nuclear and Nuclear itself has been completely demonized by any number of groups, experts and doubters. Given the Anti-science of this time, its a wonder we are still actually talking about it. My own, wishful, thought is that we can get over nuclear fear and hate and deal with it. Nuclear is, I believe, the least invasive of all energy resources. I have been a fan for a very long time and I still have hope but along with all that hope is also a realization that its unlikely to succeed - unfortunately.

#307107 - 06/26/18 07:48 PM Re: small (SMR) and very small (VSMR) nuclear reactors [Re: jgw]
Jeffery J. Haas Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Whittier, California
In the beginning there was the Thorium fuel cycle and the Plutonium/Uranium fuel cycle.
Th was dumped in favor of Pl/U because Pl/U could be used for weapons (proliferation) and Th could not, and the government was only going to invest in one of them.

#307108 - 06/26/18 08:18 PM Re: small (SMR) and very small (VSMR) nuclear reactors [Re: jgw]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

Quote:
Nuclear is, I believe, the least invasive of all energy resources.

Less "invasive" than wind and solar? Okay...?

Face it guys, it's pretty much a dead end street.

#307109 - 06/26/18 08:33 PM Re: small (SMR) and very small (VSMR) nuclear reactors [Re: jgw]
Ujest Shurly Offline

Loc: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
What you save during its life, you pay for in its death, storage and maintenance.

Fission is a not good, Fusion at least shuts itself off if it all goes sideways.

Renewables, are the solution and are far more friendly to us and the environment. Nuclear is the way for space, until we find something better.

Edited by Ujest Shurly (06/26/18 08:34 PM)

Life is like a PB&J sandwich
The older you get, the moldery and crustier you get.

Now, get off my grass!

#307126 - 06/27/18 07:02 PM Re: small (SMR) and very small (VSMR) nuclear reactors [Re: jgw]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
Quote:
Nuclear is, I believe, the least invasive of all energy resources.

Coal plants actually release far more radiation than a normal nuclear power plant. All that C14. It's unavoidable.

Not to say that nuclear plants can't have idiotic designs like Fukashima or idiots running them like Chernobyl.

#307137 - 06/28/18 03:26 AM Re: small (SMR) and very small (VSMR) nuclear reactors [Re: pondering_it_all]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

So maybe nuclear is cleaner than coal. That aint saying a lot.

#307145 - 06/28/18 03:29 PM Re: small (SMR) and very small (VSMR) nuclear reactors [Re: Greger]
Greger Offline

Pooh-Bah

And for you nuclear fans, there is a sort of a silver lining...Donald Trump is propping up the nuclear industry along with the coal industry.

#307149 - 06/28/18 04:08 PM Re: small (SMR) and very small (VSMR) nuclear reactors [Re: Greger]
pdx rick Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Puget Sound, WA
Originally Posted By: Greger
And for you nuclear fans, there is a sort of a silver lining...Donald Trump is propping up the nuclear industry along with the coal industry.

Republicans love the idea of a "glow in the dark" base. smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2