by jgw
08:52 PM
How the octopus got its smarts
by logtroll
08:30 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by Ujest Shurly
06:58 PM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by pondering_it_all
06:58 AM
Returning rationality to public policy
by NW Ponderer
09/20/18 04:03 PM
The Savage Breast: A Music Clip Thread
by Golem
09/20/18 12:58 AM
Yom Kippur and Kol Nidre
by Golem
09/18/18 06:57 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/17/18 10:21 PM
Justice is coming
by jgw
09/17/18 09:37 PM
Flor-i-duh's Governor's Race
by Greger
09/17/18 06:19 PM
‘Unprecedented’: Natural gas expert says ‘over-pressurization’ may be to blame
by NW Ponderer
09/17/18 03:02 PM
George Conway rips Trump over tweet about Obama's '57 states' gaffe
by pdx rick
09/17/18 04:37 AM
Obama's Friday Speech
by pondering_it_all
09/14/18 06:51 AM
Woodward book breaks 93-year publishing record
by Greger
09/14/18 03:01 AM
Mike Rowe on Nike / Kaepernick and 9/11 hero Tom Burnett
by Greger
09/12/18 02:17 AM
The nuclear option
by Greger
09/12/18 01:22 AM
President Petty and Ineffective - a danger to the Republic
by chunkstyle
09/11/18 11:54 PM
stare into the lights my pretties
by Jeffery J. Haas
09/11/18 04:15 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16383 Topics
281979 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#307322 - 07/09/18 04:49 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

When Gorsuch was the nominee, I was of the opinion that it should be fought tooth and nail, for precisely this reason. Sadly, it could still get worse. Ginsburg is 85 and Breyer is 79. Although neither plans to retire...

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#307323 - 07/09/18 07:03 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Port Angeles, WA
I was just re-reading this topic. There was a section where folks were talking about how trump won. I think that one is pretty simple. First Hillary. She has been maligned and lied about for about 40 years. During that time she never fought back once to my knowledge. When she debated Trump he was wandering around the stage in a threatening manner and she didn't even call him on that! (even she said she should have done something!) Think on it, Trump was fighting and Hillary was being civilized. If you thought the country needed a change which one would you choose? The one who didn't fight or a fighter? (I voted for Hillary but half the country (or thereabouts did). That is just the tip of the iceburg.

The Republicans took something like 60% to 80% of the states legislatures. One would think that the Dems might have been kinda interested in how and why that happened. Apparently not, it happened very quietly and seems to have come as a genuine surprise which tends to make one think that they were not actually awake when that happened. If you are in a situation wherein you are losing over the course of several years, and you continue as if nothing is happening then I would submit there is a problem that needs fixing. The Dems, however, stuck to their 'civilized' behavor of failure.

There are any number of examples like this but to continue would be beating the dead horse. Now the Republicans are likely to take over the supreme court. When the Republicans held back the Obama supreme selection the Dems should have sued and screamed their heads off. They actually waited a bit after the Republicans bravely said they would do that and then all they did is run their mouths. Now they are running their mouths again and they are going to lose - again.

Seems to me that the blame is soundly in the camp of the left. They got snookered and beat up. My hope is that they stop the whining and get on with figuring it out, and starting to win. They have a chance but would be wise, this time, to actually pay attention (as well as other things) I am equally convinced that they are a lot more that vote against the right than vote for the left, with reason. It would be really nice if we could all actually vote for the left. To have that happen the left, the ENTIRE left, needs to sit down and figure it out instead of having them whiney little foodfights over, really, very little.

As always I wish us all good luck.....................

Edited by jgw (07/09/18 07:04 PM)

#307324 - 07/09/18 07:18 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Online   content
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
Can they outlast Mr Trump?

The next SC nominee with be confirmed solely because he/she will be PC and not answer any questions. Look ... I don't care what their personal political or sociological positions are as long as they follow the Constitution. Unfortunately partisans are only concerned with which political positions a nominee has.

We are in danger of losing of republic ... and it won't be on the battlefields fighting terrorists nor will it be by presidential fiats .... it will be in the quiet halls of 1 First St, NE, Washington DC

#307330 - 07/09/18 09:20 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

My fond hope is that one or more of these new members will turn out, over time, to not exactly embrace the left but embrace obvious logic instead of political druthers. Its happened before and can again. Remember, they are there for life and they will not lose their job for doing their job, irregardless of politics, unlike our elected class who tend to to whatever it takes to keep their jobs - irregardless of party or even personal belief.

Edited by jgw (07/09/18 09:21 PM)

#307336 - 07/10/18 04:12 AM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: jgw]
Carpal Tunnel

In the past (say, Nixon-era), it was possible that a Supreme Court nominee might "drift" from their expected bend. That, however, has not been true since Nixon.

#307337 - 07/10/18 06:23 AM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: NW Ponderer]
pondering_it_all Offline
veteran

Loc: North San Diego County
I wonder how many cases before the Supreme Court Kavanaugh will have to recuse himself from, because of his history. I know he was on Kenneth Starr's team investigating Clinton and recommending impeachment. I wonder if that will disqualify him on some Trump cases.

#307339 - 07/10/18 02:30 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: NW Ponderer]
Carpal Tunnel

The problem is, there is no standard for Supreme Court recusal. He gets to decide.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich

#307341 - 07/10/18 02:55 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: NW Ponderer]
rporter314 Online   content
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
There is a report which if true rings of real corruption, in the sense it has greater impact than simply stealing money.

J Kennedy's son apparently was involved in loaning Mr Trump money through Deutsche Bank AG. J Kennedy apparently made contact with administration officials to broker a deal for retirement contingent on an approved replacement which was precipitated by the Mueller investigation which it was thought could lead to SC considerations on presidential powers. It is thought J Kennedy would, because of his integrity, recluse himself. Thus Mr Trump would be able to "pack" the SC with justices who would be loyal to him and rebuff any assault on him, even if justified.

If this is true, it is certainly a dark day ... no a blot of the worse kind, not just on our history but on the American people for allowing this behavior.

#307352 - 07/10/18 06:30 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: NW Ponderer]
jgw Offline
enthusiast

I find it interesting that it would seem that the Supremes are somehow contaminated and guilty before they have really done something to show their evil ways. So far they seem to have ruled in favor of the law and not in favor of politics. Now there is a new guy joining them and his history would be, pretty much, slightly to the right. This is based on a number of reports of people who are touted as being experts on the Supremes. However, the Dems, valiantly closing the barn door after the horses got loose, are telling us that life on earth, as we know it, will be negatively changed forever.

I would suggest that before condemnation they might wait and see and THEN run their mouths. Right now it seems like sour grapes. The Republicans get to choose because the Republicans won. When the Dems run I expect the same theatrics. The winners get to make the choices, and its that simple and there isn't anything anybody can do about it. The members of the Senate will vote and their vote will reflect their belief in voting in such a way that they can keep their jobs (except for those retiring) This is the way it works, how its always worked, and will continue to work.

#307354 - 07/10/18 07:18 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: jgw]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: jgw
I find it interesting that it would seem that the Supremes are somehow contaminated and guilty before they have really done something to show their evil ways. So far they seem to have ruled in favor of the law and not in favor of politics.
Respectfully, jgw, I don't know whether that is sarcasm, or you're returning from another planet. Fortunately, in this case, the evil ways of Kavanaugh have been on display for decades. That's why he has been selected by the Federalist Society and Heritage Foundation.

Some highlights: immigrants don't have rights; the federal government can prevent abortions by my minors in custody; Where Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh stands on key issues - CNN.
Quote:
"the government has permissible interests in favoring fetal life, protecting the best interests of a minor, and refraining from facilitating abortion." ... Claiming it was "a new right for unlawful immigrant minors in US government detention to obtain immediate abortion on demand."
. Gay rights? Don't exist; government regulation of business?extremely limited. 'Religious liberty" Trump's "civil rights". Second Amendment supremacy... He's A VERY known quantity.

And where were you when Merrick Garland's seat was stolen? PLEASE tell me you are being sarcastic.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2