by jgw
10/09/18 09:26 PM
Trump’s ‘New’ Can-Mex Trade Deal Has All Kinds Of Improvements? Thanks, Obama
by jgw
10/09/18 05:35 PM
The End of the Independent Judiciary
by pdx rick
10/07/18 02:55 PM
Tiny Hawaiian Gecko Accidentally Calls 'a Bazillion' People from Hospital Phone,
by Greger
10/07/18 01:09 AM
That Bombshell Report on Trump's Taxes May Spark an Investigation by New York
by Jeffery J. Haas
10/05/18 05:03 AM
A time when politics were not all about greed
by jgw
10/04/18 07:28 PM
George Will: Abolish the death penalty
by Greger
10/03/18 12:28 AM
if the Dems take over
by Greger
10/01/18 09:55 PM
Miscellaneous humor thread
by Golem
09/30/18 08:15 PM
Answer (Fredric Brown, 1954)
by jgw
09/28/18 06:24 PM
RoundTable for September 2018
by NW Ponderer
09/28/18 11:24 AM
Code for no black people': New York bar's 'racist' dress code sparks online deba
by Greger
09/26/18 05:11 PM
Our modern Sinclair Lewis?
by pondering_it_all
09/26/18 07:10 AM
Forum Stats
6248 Members
58 Forums
16398 Topics
282296 Posts

Max Online: 294 @ 12/06/17 12:57 AM
Google Adsense
Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#308634 - 09/25/18 09:35 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: Ma_Republican]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Loc: Highlands, Tx
why do conservatives always assume women lie about being sexually harassed?

Yes Tim you have joined the ranks of high profile misogynists such as Sen Hatch, Grassley, Graham and of course Mr Trump.

#308635 - 09/25/18 09:59 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: jgw]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Quote:
I will be very surprised if Kavenaugh is not sworn in as the next member of the Supremes

I agree. This is a must do and now. Politically the future is tenuous for maintaining political power for Republicans. J Kavanaugh could be the poster boy for every repulsive conservative ideal and still be confirmed.

What amazes me are people like Sen Collins, who have responded to J Kavanaugh by saying he told her he would not overturn Roe. So I have to ask her, it has been a part of the long time conservative agenda to overturn Roe. The Federalist vetted some candidates very carefully to guarantee everyone of them would be agents of change and specifically changes to Roe. So when J Kavanaugh was selected by The Federalist it begs the question why they would select someone who would not overturn Roe. Sen Collins does that make sense?

Accusations:: without a real investigation into the facts ( and not an investigation by political staff members) we could at least have a better idea of someone lied. Specifically we may know of J Kavanaugh has lied about drinking and sexting. Thus the question becomes one of whether we want a liar as a SCJ.

Quote:
Democratic party that seemed to goto sleep around 2009
I am going to push back a little on that.

I think this is a prevalent belief among Democrats but think back to what happened when Pres Obama was elected and contrast that to the current status of Trump's Party. There was a groundswell of bigotry against Pres Obama evidenced by the Tea Party. Has anyone heard a peep from these folks today? Mr Trump has normalized bigotry among Republicans. As recent studies have discovered, it is the driving force of Trump supporters. I didn't need a study to know that as I talk to trump folks and know them well.

So Democrats have to recognize what drives the Trump base (and get real about it ... yes they are bigots) and work around that. This kind of bigotry is deep so they will not be able to change minds. The battle is for the middle. It will be issues that matter for the independents. Almost every issue from domestic to foreign policy should be in play and of course do not exclude Mr Trump as the personification of every anti-American value.

I think it was the failure to recognize the changing Republican base which was at fault. I sensed a change but couldn't put my finger on it until Mr Trump was elected and the ugliness came into the light.

The hope I see is I know at the end of the day progressive ideas will always win. I think we may be experiencing the death throes of racist conservatism. This is their last hope to infect America with their poison. I have been inoculated. Have you?

#308636 - 09/25/18 10:49 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: Ma_Republican]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: Ma_Republican
So, I heard that you were at the library 20 years ago and grabbed Miss Crabtree's ass. Miss Crabtree has decided to come forward and ruin your life because she doesn't like liberals. I think that you should suffer the consequences of an over active imagination and selective memory. Oh yeah, Mr. Crabtree also says you grabbed him, but he didn't mind. Tim

All true, no sense in lying about it!

#308639 - 09/25/18 11:47 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: rporter314]
logtroll Offline
veteran

Loc: New Mexico (not old Mexico)
Originally Posted By: rporter314

I don't think it's an assumption so much as it is a fervent hope.

#308648 - 09/26/18 11:06 AM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: rporter314]
Ma_Republican Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: rporter314

Yes Tim you have joined the ranks of high profile misogynists such as Sen Hatch, Grassley, Graham and of course Mr Trump.

I grew up with 4 sisters, all of them are good people. If my sisters had issues of the kind that this woman has alleged, they would have told us about them. They would have told one of their friends, or a teacher.

Mrs. Crabtree's accusation, which has exactly as much evidence as Ms. Blasey Ford's accusation does, is a symptom of smear politics and has no basis in believability. It supposedly happened 35 years ago, at a party where she was partying. Kavanaugh denies the accusation. He said, she said, but in the end it is not believable.

I am, admittedly, a product of my upbringing. Had somebody treated my sister the way that she says he did, I would have taken care of it in a way that would have modified his behavior for a very long time. Everybody has to make a judgment on what to believe. We have the sour grapes of Trump getting elected. We have the Russia circus. We have the press acting an arm of the DNC. We have Obama DOJ and FBI leftovers plotting against a sitting president. We have Dems looking to declare Trump unfit for office and suddenly, out of the blue, we have this? Doesn't pass the smell test.

We have a Republican President seating a second justice and out of the blue here comes accusations aimed at playing on the sympathy created by MeToo? Nah, too coincidental and too convenient. This is politics at its worst, and the Dems should be ashamed of themselves. Kavanaugh, from all of the reports, really is a stand up guy. His politics might be a problem for you guys, but he doesn't deserve this.

Tim

Edited by Ma_Republican (09/26/18 11:08 AM)

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

#308649 - 09/26/18 12:50 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: NW Ponderer]
NW Ponderer Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Tim, with respect, chances are high that at least one of your sisters WAS assaulted. It is probable that at least one of them has been harassed at some point in her life. It is also highly likely that they have not admitted it to anyone, even family members.

I know that one of my sisters (I have three) was attacked in her own home. She has never told the details of it to anyone other than the police. I know that another sister was horribly harassed in high school, and college (not to mention as a federal District Court clerk) but overcame that to become a vice president of a fortune 200 company.

I, like you, would have done violence to the man who attacked my sister, but like the majority of such attackers, he was never caught. To assume we "would've done something" is both to assuage our manhood and deny reality.

You, instead, have made all of the assumptions that "good Republicans" are supposed to make, either willingly or not, despite what your brain tells you, and accepted the party line espoused by Fox News and the party elite. It doesn't make sense, but that doesn't matter, he's "your guy". Bill Cosby is set to begin his sentence for sexual assaults. He was an icon to millions and most of his accusers were silent, or silenced, for years. Donald Trump is an admitted serial assaulter, yet people (especially the "most pious") either ignore, deny, or excuse his egregious behavior to get what they want.

I believe Blasey Ford, not because of partisan fervor, but because of experience and logic. She had/has nothing to gain and the world to lose (as has been amply demonstrated publicly). She, sadly, is all too typical. Kavanaugh loses nothing (He still HAS a lifetime appointment).

Also, sadly, I've also experienced the world he inhabited (although I've never been blackout or pass out drunk). I've been to those kind of parties, I've witnessed first hand some of those activities, and I've failed to step in when I should have, to my shame. His carefully-worded denials (and, yes, lies) are obvious to those who've been there. I can even sympathize with the frustration that happens when one is wrongly accused - been there, too. But, if you watched his Fox interview, you'd recognise it was not that. He knows he can't REALLY deny it all, because he can't remember it all. He was that kind of drunk.

Most tragic of all is he'll get away with it. She, however, has had to live with it for decades and will have to do so for decades more. She was "outed" against her will and dragged into a sham process deliberately designed to put her at a disadvantage. It really isn't a "He said, she said" situation. There were witnesses. Even now there could be corroborating evidence - if it were investigated competently. There could even be exculpatory evidence, but it will never be known. That is the final and most profound tragedy.

#308650 - 09/26/18 02:09 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: Ma_Republican]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: Tim
If my sisters had issues of the kind that this woman has alleged, they would have told us about them. They would have told one of their friends, or a teacher.

I suspect you are very misinformed. Ignorance is a choice. I implore you to not remain ignorant on this issue and do some research. Here is a sample ... but do your own .... PLEASE

Originally Posted By: A New Survey Finds 81 Percent Of Women Have Experienced Sexual Harassment
Similarly disconcerting is the fact that most victims don't report their experiences, says Decker. "People don't even mention it to friends, families." And so, sexual harassment is "thriving on the silence of women," granting impunity to perpetrators, she says.

#308651 - 09/26/18 02:21 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: NW Ponderer]
Ma_Republican Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: NW Ponderer
Tim, with respect, chances are high that at least one of your sisters WAS assaulted. It is probable that at least one of them has been harassed at some point in her life. It is also highly likely that they have not admitted it to anyone, even family members.

I know that one of my sisters (I have three) was attacked in her own home. She has never told the details of it to anyone other than the police. I know that another sister was horribly harassed in high school, and college (not to mention as a federal District Court clerk) but overcame that to become a vice president of a fortune 200 company.

I, like you, would have done violence to the man who attacked my sister, but like the majority of such attackers, he was never caught. To assume we "would've done something" is both to assuage our manhood and deny reality.

You, instead, have made all of the assumptions that "good Republicans" are supposed to make, either willingly or not, despite what your brain tells you, and accepted the party line espoused by Fox News and the party elite. It doesn't make sense, but that doesn't matter, he's "your guy". Bill Cosby is set to begin his sentence for sexual assaults. He was an icon to millions and most of his accusers were silent, or silenced, for years. Donald Trump is an admitted serial assaulter, yet people (especially the "most pious") either ignore, deny, or excuse his egregious behavior to get what they want.

I believe Blasey Ford, not because of partisan fervor, but because of experience and logic. She had/has nothing to gain and the world to lose (as has been amply demonstrated publicly). She, sadly, is all too typical. Kavanaugh loses nothing (He still HAS a lifetime appointment).

Also, sadly, I've also experienced the world he inhabited (although I've never been blackout or pass out drunk). I've been to those kind of parties, I've witnessed first hand some of those activities, and I've failed to step in when I should have, to my shame. His carefully-worded denials (and, yes, lies) are obvious to those who've been there. I can even sympathize with the frustration that happens when one is wrongly accused - been there, too. But, if you watched his Fox interview, you'd recognise it was not that. He knows he can't REALLY deny it all, because he can't remember it all. He was that kind of drunk.

Most tragic of all is he'll get away with it. She, however, has had to live with it for decades and will have to do so for decades more. She was "outed" against her will and dragged into a sham process deliberately designed to put her at a disadvantage. It really isn't a "He said, she said" situation. There were witnesses. Even now there could be corroborating evidence - if it were investigated competently. There could even be exculpatory evidence, but it will never be known. That is the final and most profound tragedy.

So, there's the difference. I see politics and you see timidity. The evidence of politics is obvious and current, the lack of evidence for an event 35 years old does not exist. This is a pattern that has repeated itself over the years, which makes me question it more than I probably should have the right to do. I repeat, this is politics nothing more and the Dems should be ashamed of themselves. So the next time somebody like Mrs. Crabtree comes along and accuses somebody of doing unspeakably bad things, a la Bill Clinton or Keith Ellison, I expect the lynch mob to built outside of his office, oh wait, Ellison is still getting a pass from his party? How can that be? It is because this is all politics.

My sister's husband abused her while overseas. She had two kids and was in a land that didn't speak her language and where women were passive by tradition. She called and we flew her and her kids home. There is a chance that somebody may have committed assault on the scumbag husband, maybe. There is a difference between being bullied or harassed and being physically or sexually assaulted.

Tim

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.”
Thomas Jefferson

#308652 - 09/26/18 02:23 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: Ma_Republican]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

seating a second justice and out of the blue here comes accusations aimed at playing on the sympathy created by MeToo? Nah, too coincidental and too convenient. This is politics at its worst, and the Dems should be ashamed of themselves.

So why weren't there any accusations against J Gorsuch??? Could it possibly be he did not harass women? and thus there was no one to report such an incident?

Of course you believing Dr Ford is a part of some Democrat conspiracy is even more ludicrous. She would first of all have to agree to destroy her life, then maintain a story which under FBI investigation and under oath subject to penalty of perjury stand by her story. She would have to make it up when J Kavanaugh was nominated. ooops ... wait a sec. She has told this story since 2006 and before J Kavanaugh was ever considered to be nominated for SC to at least 5 people, all of whom have provided statements under oath.

Gee Tim ... you have uncovered one of the most insidious conspiracies in modern politics going back at least 12 years. You had me going for a sec as I like political conspiracy theories ... in the movies. You should become a screenwriter. I think you can sell your fictional conspiracy theories in Hollywood, but not on CHB where facts reign supreme.

Join the other Republicans, Sen McConnell, Grassley, Hatch, Graham and Mr Trump, who should all have busts be in the Hall of Shame.

aside in best Hannity impersonation {{{{{GEEEEEEZ}}}}

#308653 - 09/26/18 02:41 PM Re: The End of the Independent Judiciary [Re: Ma_Republican]
rporter314 Offline
old hand

There is a difference between being bullied or harassed and being physically or sexually assaulted.

And a discussion of the significance of these points should take place.

Here is the difference which is incontrovertible, J Kavanaugh categorically denies the incident ever happened. In my previous comment regarding your conspiracy theory, I would suspect her story is accurate. Thus we have a person nominated for the SC who more than likely lied about an incident in high school.

Now if he lied about that what else has he lied about? We know The Federalist did not select and vet anyone who would not overturn Roe, so why did he lie to a number of Senators that he would not overturn Roe. Is The Federalist selecting people who are not conservatives?

So we are faced with the hypocrisy of confirming a person who lies about any number of issues and allowing sexual assaults against women. Really???

Yes this is political and it is obvious to everyone but you. Republicans are operating on fear of losing the House and now the possibility of the Senate. That would mean the Senate would not be able to confirm another extremist nominee. Sen McConnell knows he is against a time constraint and has to get J Kavanaugh confirmed or lose this confirmation. The whole process has become a political spectacle with complete transparency.

The Republican Judiciary does not care about the accusations but has to go through the process for appearances. Who are they fooling? They are trying to save the only thing they can before the midterms.

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TrentonP, Nosf50, erumonej, Jensen Breck, Albertapkr
6248 Registered Users
A2